News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tommyhawkins

I think the question is whether it will use the Boarding Groups method instead of standby (when it first opens). and my impression is that yes indeed it will use Boarding Groups and will replace Ratatouille in that spot.
Well considering its looking like it can hit 1800/HR and could be as much as 2400/hr it's not going to suffer the same problems at Rise which is lucky if it can hit 1700/HR all they would be doing is antagonising people for very little reason

ImperfectPixie

Color me unimpressed. The Xandarian "star" isn't in high enough contrast against the metallic panels and the visual tension between it's angular rays and the metallic panels grout lines makes it all very distracting. Incompatible design elements. Some improvement could come from simply shifting the entire sign up about 3-5 inches but that still wouldn't address the crappy colorshift being used to ill effect.
That grout line really, really bothers me. It's completely distracting.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Not sure if you're kidding...but if you aren't, no, not paint leftovers. You can't create chameleon paint out of paint that isn't.
No I know that. I was talking about leftovers of the colorshift vinyl or whathaveyou. It does indeed look very much like something used for the 50th. I assume this is leftover material. Use what you got, right? Although in this case, it looks pretty bad.

ImperfectPixie

No I know that. I was talking about leftovers of the colorshift vinyl or whathaveyou. It does in deed look very much like something used for the 50th. I assume this is leftover material. Use what you got, right? Although in this case, it looks pretty bad.
The colors are similar-ish, but they didn't use color-shift paint or vinyl for any of the 50th stuff...they tried to fake prismatic vinyl, and it came out bad.

hpyhnt 1000

Color me unimpressed. The Xandarian "star" isn't in high enough contrast against the metallic panels and the visual tension between it's angular rays and the metallic panels grout lines makes it all very distracting. Incompatible design elements. Some improvement could come from simply shifting the entire sign up about 3-5 inches but that still wouldn't address the crappy colorshift being used to ill effect.
Yes, all of this. So many joints and gaps and intersecting lines at strange angles. Doesn't help the star was, for some strange reason, designed as eight pieces when it should have been two - a left and right side.

That grout line really, really bothers me. It's completely distracting.
Agree. No idea how such poor design made it to the final product. How is this in any way visually appealing?

Screenshot 2021-12-01 19.14.25.png

lazyboy97o

The joints are not grout. They’re just a gap which is basically where you screw the panels into the wall. @ImperfectPixie even if a small area would you really want the back exposed to the elements?

A giant sticker just seems such an odd choice for a nearly half billion dollar attraction. Custom shaped panels are available and would certainly look somewhat more technologically advanced.

ImperfectPixie

The joints are not grout. They’re just a gap which is basically where you screw the panels into the wall. @ImperfectPixie even if a small area would you really want the back exposed to the elements?

A giant sticker just seems such an odd choice for a nearly half billion dollar attraction. Custom shaped panels are available and would certainly look somewhat more technologically advanced.
No - I just want the star moved up to hide the lines. I had a feeling they were just gaps.

Custom panels, rather than the pieced-together look would have been so much better. We used to cut and bend our own panels (and welding, too) at the sign shop I worked for. Also...I would think the star is made of aluminum...to avoid any rust issues.

ImperfectPixie

Oh - and I'm pretty sure that's a custom paint, not vinyl. There's a purple/gold chameleon vinyl, but the purple is much deeper.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't like commenting on things until they're finished as far as the star, etc. as we might not be seeing the final version etc. despite whatever Zach posts

lazyboy97o

No - I just want the star moved up to hide the lines. I had a feeling they were just gaps.

Custom panels, rather than the pieced-together look would have been so much better. We used to cut and bend our own panels (and welding, too) at the sign shop I worked for. Also...I would think the star is made of aluminum...to avoid any rust issues.
If this aluminum it being several pieces as it looks is even worse. No reason at all it couldn’t have been one piece or at least two with a mitered joint.

By custom panels I meant of the type behind the star. No lines going behind it at all, just the str as an integrated part of the facade. It even could have had dimensionality to it instead of being flat.

ImperfectPixie

If this aluminum it being several pieces as it looks is even worse. No reason at all it couldn’t have been one piece or at least two with a mitered joint.

By custom panels I meant of the type behind the star. No lines going behind it at all, just the str as an integrated part of the facade. It even could have had dimensionality to it instead of being flat.
Absolutely. After looking at it some more, I really think the star needed to either actually be thicker or made to give the appearance of having thickness (perhaps another layer to it that is slightly smaller than this layer)...it's just so flat looking.

Further...that Imagineering is having such big misses is really sad...the guys in the fabrication department I used to work with were anything but Imagineers, but they always put forth their best efforts to make things look as good as they could within the constraints of the project. Even they would have called out some of the things we're mentioning as "bad show".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom