mitchk

Attachments

• 4A58C6E5-8A39-4062-A785-444B91F8E278.png
    4A58C6E5-8A39-4062-A785-444B91F8E278.png
    263 KB · Views: 113

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I wish Zach Riddley wasn't the mouthpiece for everything Disney is doing in Epcot. I get why (sort of ) just that if they want to go full "inclusion" let some other imagineers get a word in edgewise.

J4546

is it the facade work itself or just that its being shown on instagram thats got people upset? I get that these are small things, but still a direct source of insider information sharing upclose pictures of work being done....I dont get why so negative? I like the way it looks btw, I didnt even know there was a greeter station up front so Im interested to see what thats gonna look like as well. I really wanna see the ship soon!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Don't know what's more confusing, why Disney chose to post a picture of a few metal slabs or the fact that the Disney community is setting itself on fire (once again) because Disney chose to post a picture of a few metal slabs.
I’d call them “unnecessary, self-congratulating, vapid Instagram posts generated by the PR department”. But that’s just my $2 (it used to be 2 cents, but between Disney price increases and inflation, I’ve had to adjust… 😉😂). It’s still just 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag, complete with a THE Zach bow on it all.

gorillaball

He doesn’t think it is actually possible to rotate the cars with any sort of precision while the train is moving at more than a slow speed.
It's been done - Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City has been open several years - Rotations at high speed. No show scenes, but that's not the subject matter Hawg G thinks can't happen.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Note the brand name and logo of the blue sheathing material is blurred out in every single picture. You might think it was for artistic effect, but then you see it continued into all of thr pictures.

Legal and Marketing must have had their way with everything involved in this PR event. Nothing at all in these posts are organic or genuine.
Obviously Di$ney doesn’t have a sponsorship agreement with the company, so a fuzzed-out-name it is. Can’t be giving away free advertising like that, you know.

These posts by THE Zach are nothing but PR fluff. The post that included the “editor’s comments” kind of gave it away (not that many around here didn’t already figure it out).

lazyboy97o

is it the facade work itself or just that its being shown on instagram thats got people upset? I get that these are small things, but still a direct source of insider information sharing upclose pictures of work being done....I dont get why so negative? I like the way it looks btw, I didnt even know there was a greeter station up front so Im interested to see what thats gonna look like as well. I really wanna see the ship soon!
What insider information was shared? It’s a completely fake, nonsensical set of photos that present a false image that hides the people actually doing the work while likely now making that work more difficult.

tommyhawkins

Here's a one second clip of what was shown at IAAPA today with cars running on the track -

Yeah, I breakdown the implications for throughput now its confirmed to be trains - this is good news. it will be a total people eater and not another Rise/SlinkyDog

It has also had an effect on my model as I have managed to drop the Launch speed down to 45mph, it maybe can go even slower. Also had to put trims on the Helix after the second lift zone because it was absolutely hauling (55mph+)

Incomudro

But its average speed is actually 25-30mph. And the chances are it will rotate from backwards to forwards position at around 50mph so I'm not really sure what his point is about being at a snails pace
It's also a dark coaster, so it'll feel like it's going faster than it is - not that speed is it's primary selling feature anyway.

SplashJacket

Yeah, I breakdown the implications for throughput now its confirmed to be trains - this is good news. it will be a total people eater and not another Rise/SlinkyDog

It has also had an effect on my model as I have managed to drop the Launch speed down to 45mph, it maybe can go even slower. Also had to put trims on the Helix after the second lift zone because it was absolutely hauling (55mph+)

I thought we've known they were 4 car trains for years now?

ifan

I have no construction background, but I did work for an Apple store many, many years ago that used similar metal panels on the exterior. They were imported from Japan, and even though they had used similar ones at other stores around the world, something unexpected happened a few weeks prior to a new flagship store opening. A few days/weeks after being exposed to the summer sun, they started to discolor. Apple had to delay the store opening by over three months after already onboarding all the new employees, and it cost them several million dollars to replace the panels. The panels came in via boat across the Pacific Ocean.

I'm curious to know how these panels will hold up in the harsh Florida sun and if Disney can avoid the same mistake Apple made. I do love the look of them. Peeling the protective layer now to ensure they can handle the elements is probably a smart decision.

lazyboy97o

I have no construction background, but I did work for an Apple store many, many years ago that used similar metal panels on the exterior. They were imported from Japan, and even though they had used similar ones at other stores around the world, something unexpected happened a few weeks prior to a new flagship store opening. A few days/weeks after being exposed to the summer sun, they started to discolor. Apple had to delay the store opening by over three months after already onboarding all the new employees, and it cost them several million dollars to replace the panels. The panels came in via boat across the Pacific Ocean.

I'm curious to know how these panels will hold up in the harsh Florida sun and if Disney can avoid the same mistake Apple made. I do love the look of them. Peeling the protective layer now to ensure they can handle the elements is probably a smart decision.
They are metal composite panels similar to those on Spaceship Earth.

Hawg G

It's worth noting that I do in fact know there are set pieces for it to turn to, on top of scenes that I have included some of those in my model using footage from the actual movie because it's very easy for me to imagine how fly by show scenes will help drive the narrative of the ride. Especially when they already have a indoor coaster that uses this. You just seem to be fixated on one particular way in which you think the ride will go down.

It will not "magically turn" at "2" particular points, it's a self powered system that does not need to rely on passive mechanical interventions at brake runs/launches to turn like traditional spin coasters you keep repeatedly mentioning. Why are you not capable of figuring out how a modern roller coaster train might be able to track exactly where it is on a track and have a method of following a turn profile in real time. Especially when there are other Disney rides out there that have far more complicated synchronization issues to overcome.

The "you're all pixie dusters" type response to people who call out what you are saying is not a valid and honestly and anyone who knows the podcast I am on would laugh at you.
You seem to think quite highly of your knowledge of all things coasters. I'm well aware of coaster technologies, and have been riding them for decades all over the world. Again, I'm sure it can be done. As simply preprogrammed movement that starts from each block, or even from sensors on the track. However, the point has always been "why"? Is it really going to blow minds from moving to face sets and screens? ANy sets seem to be static. Screens on coasters are screeens on coasters.

I still just don't see this ride syncing rotations to keep you pointed towards things being done really to a large extent. And if it is, I don't see it wowing folks like they seem to think it will. THe ride cost an absolute fortune. You know what would have wowed folks? Having the ride stop and a scene where we're looking into the ship, and it is all animatrons, and we slowly go by, before launching off into space past starfield filled screens. THen another slowdown where a bad guy is there in his ship, maybe chasing us a bit. then back to Rocket in a scene, etc.

For almost half a billion bucks, that SHOULD have happened. Not some screens and spheres with projection mapping that you may be turned to see for 4 or 5 seconds as the coaster flys by them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom