News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MaximumEd

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying the ride won’t disappoint or outright suck. I’m just saying that turning the cars to face whatever they put in there won’t be an issue at the speeds this thing will run.

Hawg G

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying the ride won’t disappoint or outright suck. I’m just saying that turning the cars to face whatever they put in there won’t be an issue at the speeds this thing will run.

Have you ever ridden a 4D coaster? What about Lightning Rod, or the myriad other steel coasters that were surely spec’d for the expected forces.

This will be the first motorized rotation coaster going anywhere close to these speeds. And Vekoma hardly builds Cadillacs.

tommyhawkins

It wasn't my hill to die on, but the Diznoids attacked when I questioned just how much it would rotate.

But comparing excavators to coaster cars is.... perhaps a bit off?
I think it's actually pretty realistic to consider how the trains might be controlling the yaw actually, a ring mechanism on excavators is pretty similar to what is described in the patent. Theres enough information to figure out how the trains will collect a charge each time they return to the station that powers the motors, which is exactly what Hagrids does for onboard audio.
The best part is no part, so any mechanism that is removed from the track and placed on the train means the ride will suffer less downtime as it is obviously a lot easier to place a train into maintenance than an entire track. So the notion that Disney would spend a little more money now to save themselves A LOT of money over the 20+ year lifetime of a ride is not exactly far fetched.
It is obvious that the trains will have full DOF on the Yaw axis from the patent and the fact the launch is backwards

I am finding it really hard to understand why a person who is on a forum of a company with a rich history of creating a ride that places people in set directions for the purpose of story telling doesnt get why WDI might want to control where a roller coaster train might be facing. Especially when, as shocking as this might be, if they had not created a yaw controlled train....they would have had to build an even bigger show building to tell the same story for screen/set piece placement.

If you dont like spinning coasters thats your prerogative, but maybe its worth conceding that you don't know if this coaster will be anything like all of your other experiences instead of just taking a dump on a ride thats not even open yet.

1636981274755.png

1636981300760.png

Hawg G

It is also worth noting you do not know if this coaster has any significant show scenes for it to spin to face.

The drawing seems to show it has some screens, and it seems fairly known there are no AAs in the building, perhaps entire ride.

I’ve ridden plenty of coasters with show scenes. Quite frankly, they rarely work well. At even 25 mph, you simply don’t see much going on. I’m dumbfounded how folks such as yourself seem to think this one will magically change that at points other than launch/brake runs, which this ride seems to have only two of in the building.

doctornick

Mission Breakout does a great job with very short scenes that are just snippets of action with the music playing. I don't see why you couldn't have similar experience with this ride as the vehicles point to show elements as you move along. It seems like an obvious blueprint for the type of stuff to do on this ride (though different scenes as we'll presumably be "in space" on this ride).

As an aside, does this have onboard audio?

tommyhawkins

It is also worth noting you do not know if this coaster has any significant show scenes for it to spin to face.

The drawing seems to show it has some screens, and it seems fairly known there are no AAs in the building, perhaps entire ride.

I’ve ridden plenty of coasters with show scenes. Quite frankly, they rarely work well. At even 25 mph, you simply don’t see much going on. I’m dumbfounded how folks such as yourself seem to think this one will magically change that at points other than launch/brake runs, which this ride seems to have only two of in the building.

It's worth noting that I do in fact know there are set pieces for it to turn to, on top of scenes that I have included some of those in my model using footage from the actual movie because it's very easy for me to imagine how fly by show scenes will help drive the narrative of the ride. Especially when they already have a indoor coaster that uses this. You just seem to be fixated on one particular way in which you think the ride will go down.

It will not "magically turn" at "2" particular points, it's a self powered system that does not need to rely on passive mechanical interventions at brake runs/launches to turn like traditional spin coasters you keep repeatedly mentioning. Why are you not capable of figuring out how a modern roller coaster train might be able to track exactly where it is on a track and have a method of following a turn profile in real time. Especially when there are other Disney rides out there that have far more complicated synchronization issues to overcome.

The "you're all pixie dusters" type response to people who call out what you are saying is not a valid and honestly and anyone who knows the podcast I am on would laugh at you.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Note the brand name and logo of the blue sheathing material is blurred out in every single picture. You might think it was for artistic effect, but then you see it continued into all of thr pictures.

Legal and Marketing must have had their way with everything involved in this PR event. Nothing at all in these posts are organic or genuine.

mightynine

Note the brand name and logo of the blue sheathing material is blurred out in every single picture. You might think it was for artistic effect, but then you see it continued into all of thr pictures.

Legal and Marketing must have had their way with everything involved in this PR event. Nothing at all in these posts are organic or genuine.

That, or they accidentally turned on portrait mode.

Up next, a close-up look at the stunning metal bars used in the queue to keep the line moving. As you know, metal bars have been used for decades in Disney Parks to move the magic along.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom