News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

mergatroid

Where did I say it would be terrible? I just think it will be a minimully upgraded Space Mountain experience. Since SM is actually sold as an ILL at the most popular theme park in the World, that is hardly saying it will be in bad company in the eyes of the masses.

The fact people are asking if there will be AAs in the ride gives an idea of what some folks are expecting.

And the list of overhyped Disney rides is rather extensive at this point. Even this year, in the same park as this ride.
You didn't use the word terrible, but how do you think your post reads? Was it a glowing endorsement or were you erring more on the 'assumed' negative aspects and using language to belittle it?

I already mentioned that, but I'm wrong, and everyone is sure that this ride will be amazing. This isn't like Gringotts. It rotates to see a screen when you are mostly stationary, and at least on flat track. This ride has gravity track, that is sloped, going by screens. Not much can be on those screens other than action. I do think the Tron analogy is probably right, and that is a very quick, blink (of look the other way) and you miss it, use of a screen.

As for the comment of this can't be Space Mountain 3.0 and a D ticket. Well, that depends on what you think an E ticket it. If an expensive ride is an E ticket, everything Disney does is E. If you think an E ticket is a state of the art ride (Indy, Spidey, Space Mountain in the 70s, Splash, Forbidden Journey, RotR, it's hard seeing how this ride will be an E. No animatronics, a coaster in a box with cars that rotate some, and a few screens and tunnel effects. I mean until proven otherwise, this seems to EXACTLY be Space Mountain 3.0. A crowd please at a park starving for big rides? Sure. A ride that would be ridiculed if it opened at Epic Universe for being a poor effort? Also sure.
It's like you've already decided you won't like it and are looking to try to sell everything in a negative way. The last line particularly displays your desire to be negative. You're saying you're sure that if it were at Universal, it would be ridiculed for being a poor effort? How can you be sure if you admit to not knowing how this ride will be experienced or enjoyed by people? It's like you're saying that every attraction that opens can only be good if it uses better technology than what went before, hence mentioning state of the art. How do you know that a few well placed effects combined with a reasonable thrill factor can't be as enjoyable, if not more enjoyable than something more state of the art? I enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean far more than Forbidden Journey, despite the latter being more 'state of the art'.

Attractions can and should be more about how you feel during the ride itself, rather than how 'state of the art' the inner workings are. Do you know how much you'll enjoy the soundtrack on this ride, do you know how fun the speed will actually be combined with the ability to have the vehicle rotate and how much the visual effects blend in with them? You'd really have to ride it to know that, to experience how the movements are calibrated to one another which isn't easy to do without experiencing it. How these factors play off against one another can make a huge difference to the enjoyment of an attraction, you can't really underestimate this. For instance about 99% of the people on here are critical of the Disco Yeti not moving anymore, I'd guess you're not bothered about it not moving though? The reason I say that is if passing an animatronic for what must be less than 1% of that rides allotted ride time can ruin the experience for so many, it shows how just one tiny thing can make or break an attraction in people's minds. On the flip side that demonstrates how something that lasts less than 2 seconds on an attraction can really be important and make a huge difference to the enjoyment of said attraction.

So to pass off 'a few screen and tunnel effects' as though they can't be much can only make sense if you've experienced those effects in use on that attraction. It could be done awfully, it could be done well or it could be somewhere in between those possibilities. At Universal we see that 'Transformers' is rated less enjoyable than 'Spiderman' by many guests, myself included. This is despite 'Transformers' being built after 'Spiderman', in theory using more recent technology and all the experience gained in building the former. But even when using extremely similar ride systems like these two, it's possible for one to work much better than the other in the general public's opinion. Many complain that 'Transformers' is inferior due to a far less coherent and understandable story line with lots of shouting and confusion. It's obviously subjective which one people enjoy more, however it also demonstrates that what on paper looks very similar can be very different depending on the execution of the attraction. The point being that you really need to experience it to give a valued opinion and small things can easily change that opinion. Had you even experienced Cosmic Rewind just on Youtube, your opinion would mean more as you'd be basing it on several known factors. As it is you're judging it with none of this as it's not even open so it seems odd that you're 'guessing' negatives only, despite claiming to have no agenda for or against. I'll judge it when I've seen it or ridden it, as that seems the fairest way of doing so, but hey maybe that's just me?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My expectations so far are something like The Mummy at Universal, but bigger with more movement in the ride vehicles.

I'd like to say it's going to be like Escape from Gringott's but my expectations aren't that high

Giss Neric

If it’s like Gringotts I will be sorely disappointed.
Based on seeing the all tracks in the show building, the only portion this ride will slow down is on the mid brakes throughout the ride. The rest will be you speeding through the tracks. I'm just hopeful that the effects are convincing enough that you're going into some sort of battle in space. Flight of Passage made you really feel like you're flying. ROTR made you feel like you're in the middle of an escape in space.

Casper Gutman

If it’s like Gringotts I will be sorely disappointed.
The most likely outcome seems a Gringotts that doesn't stop moving and is entirely in outer space, complete with holographic preshow (but no elevator). Put it another way, the rotating cars of Gringotts, rapidly moving screen effects of Tron, outer space setting of Space Mountain, and a few 2-D (but likely projection augmented) pieces over the track like RnRC.

Hawg G

The most likely outcome seems a Gringotts that doesn't stop moving and is entirely in outer space, complete with holographic preshow (but no elevator). Put it another way, the rotating cars of Gringotts, rapidly moving screen effects of Tron, outer space setting of Space Mountain, and a few 2-D (but likely projection augmented) pieces over the track like RnRC.

I mean, what else can you expect for only $400 million?

tommyhawkins

I'm not sophisticated enough to be able to reply to all the points on previous posts on my cellphone but from my model it's coming out as
1620metres long so the "one of" discussion... exactly who else has a indoor coaster that's a mile long?

Ride length is about ~3:30 maybe 4mins

Launch speed is about 0-50mph in 6 secs, it has fast runs but a lot of it is averaging ~25mph

@Casper Gutman is about right in the summation however I thing we will get follow along scenes...but it's also worth remembering there's a a few sets helixes with a set piece in the middle so we can be circling pointed towards it at 20-30mph and still be looking at it a while.

I have played about with 15-20dispatches and it's clearing sections well so I can't see any stopping points like gringotts.

2 trains (8ppl) dispatched every 15 secs (or one train from every load station every 30secs)
Produces a theoretical throughput of 1920/hour
20sec dispatch = 1440/hrthe average of the two is 1680/HR

So if they are dispatching like Space Mountain as I suggest there won't be long scenes it will be short bursts

I will have a POV by tnight or Tomorrow I think and you can all see for yourselves

Incomudro

I don’t know what GotG will ultimately be, but the tea leaves aren’t great. WDWs PR should be pulling out all the stops to excite us, bending the truth as far as it will go, and look at how lukewarm their efforts have been. And our insiders seem somewhat less then elated.

Disney has absolutely no compunction about wasting big IPs. Frozen is the biggest animated IP they’ve had in decades and they gave it a short, barren dark ride shoved into a preexisting space. There has never been a filmic IP of the scope or success of MCU and the land they built for it in California is perhaps the most pathetic, unimaginative expansion in Disney history, anchored by a ride that is less impressive then the DC dark ride at Six Flags across the country.

Guardians in DCA is a nice ride, but it’s mostly notable for improving on a very lackluster version of a great ride.

Disney absolutely doesn’t care much about guest expectations - again, look at Marvel land in DCA. They are quite sure most guests will take what WDW gives them and those that don’t can be replaced - and they seem to be right.
I agree with much of what you've said here, particularly regarding Avengers Campus.
But there have been other times where Disney delivered such as Mission Breakout, Flights of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, some say Smugglers Run (some don't) and I actually think they did a great job on Frozen. Would have been better if it wasn't an overlay and they started from scratch - but they didn't, yet did excellent work.
So that leads me which way I believe Disney is going to go with Guardians.
I'm betting on them delivering.

October82

I agree with much of what you've said here, particularly regarding Avengers Campus.
But there have been other times where Disney delivered such as Mission Breakout, Flights of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, some say Smugglers Run (some don't) and I actually think they did a great job on Frozen. Would have been better if it wasn't an overlay and they started from scratch - but they didn't, yet did excellent work.
So that leads me which way I believe Disney is going to go with Guardians.
I'm betting on them delivering.

I wouldn't be so optimistic. Disney didn't deliver on 3/5 of the examples of them "delivering" that you gave.

Hawg G

Gringotts rotates cars in sync with the one Goblin while your going about 5 mph. So folks are thinking this coaster will be rotating cars in sync with a GRAVITY SECTION with no sensors for car position, to keep all cars facing a central, static object?

And I don’t get the use of Cosmic Rewind as the proof this ride will be amazing. CR used OLC’s Tower preshow , and added a few more effects to an originally cheap version of ToT.

It all reminds of the talk of all the patents for the laser shots that were going to blow our minds in RotR. As well as basically anything said about Smuggler Run.

Disney has been building TONS of new rides finally, but c’mon, only Rise is truly an amazing experience. Rat, SR, MMRR, DCA Spidey, Tron. None of them lived up to the Diznoid hype. Nothing in these blueprints shows this will either.

I hope I’m wrong. Epcot needs a big win. iMHO, Soarin’ is barely worth riding, and nothng else there is worth the effort, except Frozen with my daughter.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Gringotts rotates cars in sync with the one Goblin while your going about 5 mph. So folks are thinking this coaster will be rotating cars in sync with a GRAVITY SECTION with no sensors for car position, to keep all cars facing a central, static object?
Wow.

You're so hyped to dump on this that you create unforced errors like completely not understanding the mechanics of the ride.

But, you know, you keep doing you: criticizing stuff based on no or faulty knowledge. It gives your posts a certain reputation.

Hawg G

Wow.

You're so hyped to dump on this that you create unforced errors like completely not understanding the mechanics of the ride.

But, you know, you keep doing you: criticizing stuff based on no or faulty knowledge. It gives your posts a certain reputation.
Why, there was a poster saying that would happen. I don't see it being true, and a dumb thing to spend big money on if it is true.

EVERY ride Disney does gets people on here saying it will do ridiculously advanced things that never happens.

The odd video someone posted shows a super slow coaster. This isn't that, and won't be conyeolled rotating at 25 mph.

tommyhawkins

Ok, here's a somewhat finalised POV. it comes with a lot of caveats, Planet Coaster/No limits 2 "experts" need not come back to me with feedback I have no interest in mastering coaster renderings, but perhaps this will give you a sense of what you're getting and somewhat put to bed some misconceptions and perhaps spark conversations of what it could be rather than discourse

lazyboy97o

Why, there was a poster saying that would happen. I don't see it being true, and a dumb thing to spend big money on if it is true.

EVERY ride Disney does gets people on here saying it will do ridiculously advanced things that never happens.

The odd video someone posted shows a super slow coaster. This isn't that, and won't be conyeolled rotating at 25 mph.
You think all of the information out there about the coaster, official and unofficial, is all just a big lie?

The video is a prototype at Vekoma’s facility in Vlodrop. It shows how you are wrong about the rotational movement. The seats move while in motion without any sort of massive equipment.

Hawg G

You think all of the information out there about the coaster, official and unofficial, is all just a big lie?

The video is a prototype at Vekoma’s facility in Vlodrop. It shows how you are wrong about the rotational movement. The seats move while in motion without any sort of massive equipment.
and the coaster is moving at a snail’s pace, not 30 mph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom