News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Castle Cake Apologist

Disney has a long illustrious history of hyping up costly elements that either end up being cut before opening, or became significantly underutilized once their operational realities were fully understood. Off the top of my head, here are some examples from recent-ish years:
  • Telescoping tower in World of Color intended to be used for Zurg and Chernabog show elements, constructed and tested but never used for public performances
  • Hundreds of millions of dollars spent on the much-hyped Luigi's Flying Tires, which was closed within 3 years of opening due to lackluster performance, and was replaced with another forgettable B-ticket that also cost well over $100M to install
  • DAK's parkwide after-dark push, including Pandora's bioluminescent elements, the night safari, and Rivers of Light, which has all be rendered mostly obsolete by reverting to park hours that close shortly after sundown for the majority of the year, since most guests have already left the park anyway, as the park struggles to command a full day's attention 20+ years after opening with its limited attraction roster
  • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge interactive elements that were one of the land's biggest selling points (and had gone through extensive playtesting in DL's Frontierland) were all cut prior to opening day
  • Expensive Mission:Space centrifuges permanently disabled when it became tragically apparent that the attraction as originally designed was too intense for average park guests
  • MK's New Fantasyland dragon, which had a massive viral marketing campaign, but only appeared one evening for a private press event
  • And, of course, the yeti in Expedition: Everest, which has been stationary since shortly after the ride opened
Of course this isn't to say that the coaster won't spin at all, or that its motions won't remain the same of years to come. However, Disney has a proven track record for spending huge sums of money on things that either never appear for paying guests, go out of commission shortly after opening without replacement, or are significantly scaled back. A quick walk through any Disney park will show countless items that were abandoned long ago, yet remain in place serving no particular purpose.

I don't doubt that the new coaster will have the controlled rotations on opening day. But it remains to be seen whether that element is necessary for the attraction to succeed, and if it will remain unchanged for years to come. As Disney has proven many times, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's essential.

Speaking of coasters you forgot a big one: the custom designed swinging cars on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train that don’t swing nearly as much as originally envisioned, and really don’t swing all that much.

Disney also didn’t develop the rotating technology. I’m almost certain F.L.Y. came in well under $100 million.

Don't forget the much-hyped 2.5-D for MMRR.

J4546

lol iM curious where the 100s of millions of dollars for luigis flying tires comes from and then another 100million for the replacement came from

J4546

i cant imagine that terrible and thankfuly gone luigis tires ride cost 200+million dollars to build. Im just asking where that info is from? RSR cost 200+ million to build and that makes sense....but a small scoot around on air ride seems like it wouldnt cost nearly as much as RSR

KIGhostGuy

i cant imagine that terrible and thankfuly gone luigis tires ride cost 200+million dollars to build. Im just asking where that info is from? RSR cost 200+ million to build and that makes sense....but a small scoot around on air ride seems like it wouldnt cost nearly as much as RSR
I'm not surprised...Pixar Pier was $100 million and that was just for new paint jobs and to glue fiberglass Incredibles figures into tunnels.

Generally speaking, where is that money going? How can B&M giga coasters cost $31 million but new paint jobs and characters cost $100 million?

peter11435

RSR was well above 200 millions

Hawg G

Don't forget the much-hyped 2.5-D for MMRR.

I already mentioned that, but I'm wrong, and everyone is sure that this ride will be amazing. This isn't like Gringotts. It rotates to see a screen when you are mostly stationary, and at least on flat track. This ride has gravity track, that is sloped, going by screens. Not much can be on those screens other than action. I do think the Tron analogy is probably right, and that is a very quick, blink (of look the other way) and you miss it, use of a screen.

As for the comment of this can't be Space Mountain 3.0 and a D ticket. Well, that depends on what you think an E ticket it. If an expensive ride is an E ticket, everything Disney does is E. If you think an E ticket is a state of the art ride (Indy, Spidey, Space Mountain in the 70s, Splash, Forbidden Journey, RotR, it's hard seeing how this ride will be an E. No animatronics, a coaster in a box with cars that rotate some, and a few screens and tunnel effects. I mean until proven otherwise, this seems to EXACTLY be Space Mountain 3.0. A crowd please at a park starving for big rides? Sure. A ride that would be ridiculed if it opened at Epic Universe for being a poor effort? Also sure.

gorillaball

I already mentioned that, but I'm wrong, and everyone is sure that this ride will be amazing. This isn't like Gringotts. It rotates to see a screen when you are mostly stationary, and at least on flat track. This ride has gravity track, that is sloped, going by screens. Not much can be on those screens other than action. I do think the Tron analogy is probably right, and that is a very quick, blink (of look the other way) and you miss it, use of a screen.

As for the comment of this can't be Space Mountain 3.0 and a D ticket. Well, that depends on what you think an E ticket it. If an expensive ride is an E ticket, everything Disney does is E. If you think an E ticket is a state of the art ride (Indy, Spidey, Space Mountain in the 70s, Splash, Forbidden Journey, RotR, it's hard seeing how this ride will be an E. No animatronics, a coaster in a box with cars that rotate some, and a few screens and tunnel effects. I mean until proven otherwise, this seems to EXACTLY be Space Mountain 3.0. A crowd please at a park starving for big rides? Sure. A ride that would be ridiculed if it opened at Epic Universe for being a poor effort? Also sure.
"A ride that would be ridiculed if it opened at Epic Universe for being a poor effort? Also sure."

Has it opened? Do you know 15% of what you speculate? You've seen what, a pic from inside that is more than a year old and some leaked blueprints?

I'm not sure it will be amazing, but for you to presume it will be terrible is just as off base as someone guaranteeing it will be amazing.

Let's not judge the present in a box until it's opened.

Clamman73

5752C563-905F-4857-AE66-CE2459CA38AE.jpeg

Hawg G

"A ride that would be ridiculed if it opened at Epic Universe for being a poor effort? Also sure."

Has it opened? Do you know 15% of what you speculate? You've seen what, a pic from inside that is more than a year old and some leaked blueprints?

I'm not sure it will be amazing, but for you to presume it will be terrible is just as off base as someone guaranteeing it will be amazing.

Let's not judge the present in a box until it's opened.
Where did I say it would be terrible? I just think it will be a minimully upgraded Space Mountain experience. Since SM is actually sold as an ILL at the most popular theme park in the World, that is hardly saying it will be in bad company in the eyes of the masses.

The fact people are asking if there will be AAs in the ride gives an idea of what some folks are expecting.

And the list of overhyped Disney rides is rather extensive at this point. Even this year, in the same park as this ride.

Incomudro

Where did I say it would be terrible? I just think it will be a minimully upgraded Space Mountain experience. Since SM is actually sold as an ILL at the most popular theme park in the World, that is hardly saying it will be in bad company in the eyes of the masses.

The fact people are asking if there will be AAs in the ride gives an idea of what some folks are expecting.

And the list of overhyped Disney rides is rather extensive at this point. Even this year, in the same park as this ride.
I'm going to bring this back to what Disneyland did with Mission Breakout.
They could have taken the easy way out, but they didn't.
That ride delivers.
I'm betting that WDW isn't going to cheap out on this.
It's too big of an IP with too much riding on it, and very high expectations from guests.
Guardians is fun, and funny, this ride costs a fortune and is arguably Epcot's newest centerpiece.
I really don't believe that they are going to put together some sparse experience with a starfield screen or two.

Casper Gutman

I'm going to bring this back to what Disneyland did with Mission Breakout.
They could have taken the easy way out, but they didn't.
That ride delivers.
I'm betting that WDW isn't going to cheap out on this.
It's too big of an IP with too much riding on it, and very high expectations from guests.
Guardians is fun, and funny, this ride costs a fortune and is arguably Epcot's newest centerpiece.
I really don't believe that they are going to put together some sparse experience with a starfield screen or two.
I don’t know what GotG will ultimately be, but the tea leaves aren’t great. WDWs PR should be pulling out all the stops to excite us, bending the truth as far as it will go, and look at how lukewarm their efforts have been. And our insiders seem somewhat less then elated.

Disney has absolutely no compunction about wasting big IPs. Frozen is the biggest animated IP they’ve had in decades and they gave it a short, barren dark ride shoved into a preexisting space. There has never been a filmic IP of the scope or success of MCU and the land they built for it in California is perhaps the most pathetic, unimaginative expansion in Disney history, anchored by a ride that is less impressive then the DC dark ride at Six Flags across the country.

Guardians in DCA is a nice ride, but it’s mostly notable for improving on a very lackluster version of a great ride.

Disney absolutely doesn’t care much about guest expectations - again, look at Marvel land in DCA. They are quite sure most guests will take what WDW gives them and those that don’t can be replaced - and they seem to be right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom