News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ImperfectPixie

Disney hasn't been building to DISNEY's standard for many years. The old norm is no longer the current norm for them. Hasn't been for awhile. We should all know this by now.
Yeah. But a slight decline is one thing...this blue box goes completely against the standards they'd set for themselves. It's not even a slight deviation...it's a 180 degree turn.

ppete1975

Because from a story perspective, that building isn’t supposed to exist. They’re not trying to draw attention to the fact that you enter one building, get in a car, and then launch into another building a few feet away. The idea is that you are launched into space.

Disney does not want that building associated with GotG:CR in any way. That’s why guests will not enter it from the outside or exit from it to the outside. From a thematic perspective, the former UoE building is the one and only Guardians building.
they still could have disguised it as having nothing to do with the building... pretending a building is invisible is lazy.

EPCOTCenterLover

Disney hasn't been building to DISNEY's standard for many years. The old norm is no longer the current norm for them. Hasn't been for awhile. We should all know this by now.
Yes, and EPCOT in particular is all the worse for it. Big Dolphin and Swan followed by big blue curved box for Soarin', then big blue box for Guardians- and ultimately, big huge barges for World Showcase lagoon. On the last one, were they just trying to take our eyes off the Guardians box? You have to wonder.

they still could have disguised it as having nothing to do with the building... pretending a building is invisible is lazy.

Once they decided to build a 14-story gravity building, painting it "go-away-blue" was the best option. There's just no way to theme a building that big without totally overshadowing Spaceship Earth.

The decision to build a 14-story gravity building may have been a bad one. But once that decision was made, Disney's best worst option was to make it as invisible as possible.

October82

Once they decided to build a 14-story gravity building, painting it "go-away-blue" was the best option. There's just no way to theme a building that big without totally overshadowing Spaceship Earth.

Disney has been building similarly tall, and well themed, buildings for decades. They made a cost-cutting choice to leave the building un-themed. It's as simple as that.

A giant warehouse does overshadow Spaceship Earth. A competently designed gravity building would have complemented it and the rest of the park. Just as the other pavilions have done.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney has been building similarly tall, and well themed, buildings for decades. They made a cost-cutting choice to leave the building un-themed. It's as simple as that.

A giant warehouse does overshadow Spaceship Earth. A competently designed gravity building would have complemented it and the rest of the park. Just as the other pavilions have done.

The only other building that’s comparable to this in scale is RnRs show building, and it’s not exactly hidden either. Tron is a smaller building and they still have complaints about the big ugly box.

Disney really only has three choices… 1) don’t build big coasters, 2) give up the indoor aspect and make something visible like Velocicoaster, or 3) build big ugly boxes and try to make them disappear with blue paint. No matter which they pick people will be unhappy.

Attachments

• DF72DDA3-0DC8-4C6B-9C3D-C516EE30FB26.jpeg
    DF72DDA3-0DC8-4C6B-9C3D-C516EE30FB26.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 92

lazyboy97o

The only other building that’s comparable to this in scale is RnRs show building, and it’s not exactly hidden either. Tron is a smaller building and they still have complaints about the big ugly box.

Disney really only has three choices… 1) don’t build big coasters, 2) give up the indoor aspect and make something visible like Velocicoaster, or 3) build big ugly boxes and try to make them disappear with blue paint. No matter which they pick people will be unhappy.
Building an aesthetically pleasing building is an option.

Vegas Disney Fan

But an aesthetically pleasing building is an opinion.

No matter what they build, someone will be unhappy about it.
Which has to make Disney wonder if it’s worth the added expense.

Velocicoaster is being praised as the best ride in Florida… all while being a very visible coaster with no attempt to hide any of the supports or track, and ironically with the huge blue Harry Potter show building visible behind it. I find it hard to believe that hasn’t been brought up in the board room meetings at Disney. They are spending tens of millions trying to hide things and being crucified for it while the competition is being praised for not spending money trying to hide anything.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I agree but it’s still going to be a huge visible building. I don’t mind how RnR looks, it’s very visible though… if you look.

Just like the Soarin building it blends into the background and most people probably never notice it unless they look for it.

RNRs building basically is themed, though -- they were lucky because the park was already designed to have giant soundstage warehouse buildings as part of the overall theme. It would be more noticeable/unsightly if it wasn't a previously established part of the park aesthetic.

UNCgolf

Which has to make Disney wonder if it’s worth the added expense.

Velocicoaster is being praised as the best ride in Florida… all while being a very visible coaster with no attempt to hide any of the supports or track. I find it hard to believe that hasn’t been brought up in the board room meetings at Disney. They are spending tens of millions trying to hide things and being crucified for it while the competition is being praised for not spending money trying to hide anything.

That's already established at Universal, though. No one expects their parks to have hidden rides for the most part because they've had huge, unhidden coasters for a long time and have generally not been into fully theming areas from top to bottom. I think some people would complain if there was a huge coaster overhead at Diagon Alley, because that's a heavily themed area and the coaster would detract from the theming.

I personally think Velocicoaster is a bit of a disaster -- the JP area was probably the second best in the park outside of the two HP ones and Velocicoaster really detracts from it.

People have different expectations for Disney than they do for Universal. Of course there are people who couldn't care less about (or would even welcome) Disney building huge, unhidden coasters, but there are also a lot more people who would be upset about it than there are at Universal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Which has to make Dianey wonder if it’s worth the added expense.

Velocicoaster is being praised as the best ride in Florida… all while being a very visible coaster with no attempt to hide any of the supports or track. I find it hard to believe that hasn’t been brought up in the board room meetings at Disney. They are spending tens of millions trying to hide things and being crucified for it while the competition is being praised for not spending money trying to hide anything.
There is an undeniable double standard between Disney and everyone else which, to a point, is fine. Disney should be held to a higher standard, but some people take it too far.

On a lighter note...I got to ride the Velocicoaster last week and it is one hell of a ride. It is themed as well as it can be, but nowhere near what I would expect if Disney had done it. (of course, it would have cost 10 times as much and taken 27 years to build, but I digress ;) )

Now Hagrid's on the other hand is an incredibly fun coaster and seriously well-themed. I doubt Disney could do better.

UNCgolf

There is an undeniable double standard between Disney and everyone else which, to a point, is fine. Disney should be held to a higher standard, but some people take it too far.

I basically touched on it in my above post, but I don't think I'd call it a double standard as much as people expecting Disney to maintain their own standards. It's not like people have no reason to expect more from Disney than from Universal (or other parks); Disney trained them to expect it. Double standard (at least to me) implies that people just want Disney to be different without any legitimate grounds for that expectation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom