News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's kind of my point -- they should never have built a coaster like this to begin with. Build a better ride that doesn't require such a massive show building.

The only way it's acceptable at Disney is when it's something like Space Mountain or Everest where the entire building is themed (or RNRC, I guess, which works because the park was already supposed to have giant soundstage warehouses). That wasn't really going to work in EPCOT regardless.

But did it have to be a box. Or could they have added an architectural element ala classic epcot and the building they are using in the front. It wouldnt be the first time an indoor roller coaster or omnimover wasnt built in boring square box, would it

cough
View attachment 593422View attachment 593423
Sure they could have, but that would cost more. Given the already inflated budgets on these projects, I could not imagine what the price tag would be on something more complex than a box.

It is also not all that practical. Buildings like Space Mountain, SE, and even the old Horizons building really take a hit on useable square footage relative to their overall size due to their odd shape. In the case of Horizons, more than 24,000 square feet of the building's envelope was unusable due to the nearly 28' long overhang around the building.

DisneyDodo

But did it have to be a box. Or could they have added an architectural element ala classic epcot and the building they are using in the front. It wouldnt be the first time an indoor roller coaster or omnimover wasnt built in boring square box, would it

cough
View attachment 593422View attachment 593423
If they were going to make the gravity building fit with Epcot, they would have just bulldozed the energy building and put everything in the new one. Instead, they chose to use the energy building as the face of the attraction, which means the gravity building needs to be hidden to the extent possible. There’s no scenario where it would have made sense to have two themed buildings for a single pavilion/ride.

ppete1975

Or hide it in plain sight, like RnRC. If it needed a box, make it something that belongs. Like the "Imagineering Florida HQ" or something like that. It's admittedly a bandaid on something that should have never existed. But the giant blue box with stripes is terrible.
part of it is placement... that area is in the wide open there was no way to hide it. They should have made it look interesting. IF it has to be a box then that was the wrong place. Not to give them ideas but outside of spaceship earth this was the worst possible spot in epcot. anywhere else it would be visible but not nearly as evident. Sorry i took us off topic again

UNCgolf

Sure they could have, but that would cost more. Given the already inflated budgets on these projects, I could not imagine what the price tag would be on something more complex than a box.

It is also not all that practical. Buildings like Space Mountain, SE, and even the old Horizons building really take a hit on useable square footage relative to their overall size due to their odd shape. In the case of Horizons, more than 24,000 square feet of the building's envelope was unusable due to the nearly 28' long overhang around the building.

No, that's what I'm saying -- they shouldn't have built something that needed such a massive box to begin with. Build something more interesting than a roller coaster that also doesn't need such a gigantic show building.

OG Runner

They could also go with the option of making it more prominent. They are supposed to be putting a Xandarian ship out front, why
not make the ride building look similar to a building on Xandar? Also my understanding is this will be the world's largest indoor
roller coaster. You can't have the world's largest indoor anything without a big building to put it in. :D

tommyhawkins

Most roller coasters are just empty space. Turns can only be so tight, launch areas and brake zones have minimum lengths, etc. You typically don't notice the actual volume a coster takes up as the majority of them are not covered.

For instance, if the Maverick at Cedar Point with a track length of 4462' were to be covered by a building, it would take a building with a footprint of nearly 700'x700' that was over 14-15 stories tall.

By comparison, the building housing the coaster portion of Cosmic rewind with a reported track length of 5000' is only around 220'x320' and a height of 14 stories +/-. The pictures we have so far show an incredibly tight track layout with very little wasted space.

I say, count your blessings that the building is not bigger.

Em-5cF6W8AIaX88.jpg
The video is not CR, modern vekoma track is fairly distinctive, with a large diameter spine and flat cross beams partially sunk into the spine The track is a lot more than 5000ft long, I expect it to be more than 6000ft. And there is a lot more track than has been pictured, with track supports at a grid 10ft interval across the show building. I have only modelled about half the ride and it's already over 2mins long.....this will be unlike any indoor coasters out there even if it's not the thrill levels some want

ppete1975

If they were going to make the gravity building fit with Epcot, they would have just bulldozed the energy building and put everything in the new one. Instead, they chose to use the energy building as the face of the attraction, which means the gravity building needs to be hidden to the extent possible. There’s no scenario where it would have made sense to have two themed buildings for a single pavilion/ride.
Why? When something is that visible and they cant hide it, why not make it look like a building from guardians or theme it in some way at the very least. Make it a space port, or make it part of the u of e building and continue the design.

I will always say this should have been new construction and if you had to close u of e build something new there. But for what gutting they did to it, it would have been cheaper to either build somewhere else or raze it entirely and start over.

tommyhawkins

If they didn't cut corners and costs and dug into the ground even a little the building would be less of an eyesore. It's the new Imagineer vs Accountant mentality in Disney now. Imagineers care, accountants don't, and none of the young Imagineers have the power or clout to get things pushed through.
The show building is around 50metres tall, and it was built in Florida ...at Epcot of all places, exactly what difference would spending a bunch of money to dig 3 metres lower to the ground to 99% of guests who aren't turning around behind them looking for a show building?

I'm just so angry they have installed the barges in the lagoon, how do they expect me to be able to complain about a sky blue show building with those barges blocking my view of it!!

Stupido

Area in front of EPCOT's 'Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind' nears completion with new landscaping​

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy_Full_44803.jpg
Looks like those smalls sets of pools from some of the concept art were cut, there doesn't seem to be much space for them. That's sad, they would have gone a long way to make it look like this outpost was actually designed by Xandar. I think that's my biggest problem with the facade, it doesn't look like space, or anything from the Guardians movies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Looks like those smalls sets of pools from some of the concept art were cut, there doesn't seem to be much space for them. That's sad, they would have gone a long way to make it look like this outpost was actually designed by Xandar. I think that's my biggest problem with the facade, it doesn't look like space, or anything from the Guardians movies.
Do you have the concept art you are referring to? The only pool I remember was to be under the Nova Corp Star Blaster and that pool appears to be present.

Luigi

I wasn’t suggesting it will open in 2021 haha. Just earlier in 2022 than some think.
I'm thinking Summer 2022 opening. Giving them time to film and then work on effects.

We don't know what they need to film, so it maybe sooner if its a light workload.

Casper Gutman

The show building is around 50metres tall, and it was built in Florida ...at Epcot of all places, exactly what difference would spending a bunch of money to dig 3 metres lower to the ground to 99% of guests who aren't turning around behind them looking for a show building?

I'm just so angry they have installed the barges in the lagoon, how do they expect me to be able to complain about a sky blue show building with those barges blocking my view of it!!
I don’t know if you’ve seen it in person, but you don’t have to go looking for the GotG warehouse. It is very, very prominent - more then pictures indicate. A big part of this is the way it absolutely looms over the old Life pavilion. If you don’t see it, you’re trying pretty hard not to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom