News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tommyhawkins

As I did in the Tron thread, I thought it would be interesting to compare this ride's construction with other recent WDW projects. The prevailing theory on this forum with insiders is that they want to open by Spring 2022. Let's say that's May 2022, 9 months from now.

Here is what Galaxy's Edge looked like in December 2019, 9 months before opening, versus now:
DufRsoVU8AEXIcr

E_DApRcXMAIKtFL

If you compare Cosmic Rewind to Galaxy's edge, the exterior looks like it's on-track to be open in Spring 2022 for sure. The footage and all the vfx work it requires could be a hold up, but if WDW wanted, they could complete this project by the rumored date.

I don't really follow? GE was an entire land, that had all its fronting finished but an eticket ride significantly delayed and did not open with the rest of the land. CR had its pull through test done in Nov last year and is essentially waiting on other aspects, its very apples and oranges

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So, it looks like they planted trees in the new front section, does that mean no Xandar spaceship, or am I looking at the wrong section?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Media walked through some of the building today -

"The two setpieces that we spotted were made to look like a galaxy (with pink and purple coloring) and a planet (a large sphere) — both will likely be even more impressive when the lights are out and the ride’s special effects are turned on."

Last edited:

thequeuelinelectures

Well it’s awesome to hear that there is some proper set pieces and it’s not just screens. I’m curious is what they describe was in the show building or with the part of the ride housed in the original UoE building
The tour was for sure in the gravity building. The all ears link talks about seeing “half the building” with lines up with leaks about how the gravity building is split in 2 with a giant scrim/screen.

it also talks about the track circling the planet object and if you look at @marni1971 ‘s leaked track drawings you’ll see how the gravity building does helixes around some set pieces

Surferboy567

These posts seem to verify the ride itself is mostly complete even though we don’t know for sure. It’s at least in a showable condition. We know filming starts for Guardians Volume 3 very soon. So maybe this opens sooner then we all think? All the insiders have been saying Spring. Does this open before TRON?

Weather_Lady

No specific timeframe -

Disney has done so much moving of the goalposts for openings over the last few years that they're the corporate version of the "Boy Who Cried Wolf." As a result, as much as I'd like to get excited over these things, I don't let myself believe that anything is, has, or will be opening, until somebody on this forum actually rides it and reports on it. ;)

doctornick

If the Otherworld Showcase is the theme for the interior of the pavilion separate from the actual Cosmic Rewind ride, I wouldn't mind too terribly. Like a galactic World's Fair or something.

It seems like that is the premise until Rocket and the other Guardians take over and cause some chaos. As much as it's obvious this doesn't fit in Epcot, I feel like they are trying to get it to make as much sense as possible.

worldfanatic

A lot of speculation has been that either Tron or Guardians will open in '22, and the other in '23.
I'd been thinking Tron would be first.
I wonder if this means Tron is now '23?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom