News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There really isn’t anything contradictory about overall spending a huge sum of money while completely cheating out on certain areas.
I agree with that. I was responding to the statement that they were doing it as cheaply as possible. There’s a whole lot of ways to incorporate GoTG in FL parks for a small fraction of $300M.

Rich Brownn

Evolution / developed upon as opposed to holdover.

Baxter took a technically unfeasable design and worked it into a possible one.
IN the earliest designs the pyramids were a bit smaller and there was an outside area to walk around. The idea was for it to be a observation area.

rocketraccoon

Then building another huge coaster in Jurassic Park not quite as themed.

You win some you lose some.
It's always fun how that ends up happening seemingly a lot.

Rip Ride Rockit and Wizarding World opened a year apart across the street. Frozen and Pandora are a year apart. Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land are opening a year(ish) apart. Guardians with its gravity building and Ratatouille with its France expansion are a year apart.

Jenny72

I think it's exactly because GotG is a bad fit for Epcot that it was put in there. Probably the idea was to try to give every age/gender/interest group a reason to visit each of the four parks. So now Epcot is a must-see for people with grade school girls because of the Frozen ride. And it will soon be a must-see for families with teenage boys/etc. So this probably isn't about laziness and 'well, we gotta put it somewhere.' As everyone points out, it would have made more thematic sense and been cheaper to replace RnRC in DHS with GotG. But when people come to WDW, TDO want the teenage boys to say, 'we gotta go to Epcot so I can ride Guardians.' So families with teens won't just say 'let's just do DHS and skip the rest.'

Mind you, I hate this, because I love the parks to each have their own distinctive feel. My son's favorite park is Epcot exactly because of what's left of old Epcot. I can't tell you how many times we just cycle through LwtL without getting out (they usually let us). And he would have absolutely loved WoM. But the homogenization of the parks is probably very deliberate.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it's exactly because GotG is a bad fit for Epcot that it was put in there. Probably the idea was to try to give every age/gender/interest group a reason to visit each of the four parks. So now Epcot is a must-see for people with grade school girls because of the Frozen ride. And it will soon be a must-see for families with teenage boys/etc. So this probably isn't about laziness and 'well, we gotta put it somewhere.' As everyone points out, it's would have made more thematic sense and been cheaper to replace RnRC in DHS with GotG. But when people come to WDW, TDO want the teenage boys to say, 'we gotta go to Epcot so I can ride Guardians.' So families with teens won't just say 'let's just do DHS and skip the rest.'

Mind you, I hate this, because I love the parks to each have their own distinctive feel. My son's favorite park is Epcot exacty because of what's left of old Epcot. I can't tell you how many times we just cycle through LwtL without getting out (they usually let us). And he would have absolutely loved WoM. But the homogenization of the parks is probably very deliberate.
Agreed. But I think it’s more just that EPCOT was due for some new stuff. MK got FLE and soon Tron, AK got Pandora and DHS is getting TSL and SW. I know EPCOT got Frozestrom and the rat ride is coming but it needed a big e-ticket. For years they have relied on festivals and dining at World Showcase to keep attendance up.

Remember that plan A for GoTG (which thankfully was cancelled on the east coast) was Guardians of the Tower of Terror. I’m not really sure which plan fits less into the area of the park they would be in.

sedati

Out of all the early designs for the pavilions The Land was probably my favorite with the crystal like architecture, although I can't imagine how difficult that would have been to maintain...

The original Sea's ride would have been amazing as well!
Can't help but wonder how the transition from those EPCOT Center concepts to the EPCOT Center that came to be would have fared if seen through the skeptical eye of forums such as this.

tparris

Bioreconstruct posted this recent photo ot at MK for the train (yeah your confused why it's posted in this) However, It does bring wishful thinking for something about the UoE Dinos...It's probably not..But, would make sense since the DL railroad has this...

Maybe. At least one pteranodon was moved to DL, I don’t know if it’s still there though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Bioreconstruct posted this recent photo ot at MK for the train (yeah your confused why it's posted in this) However, It does bring wishful thinking for something about the UoE Dinos...It's probably not..But, would make sense since the DL railroad has this...

According to permits, the retention pond is being expanded in that area. That is all. No insider has ever said anything about plussing the train ride.

Cmdr_Crimson

According to permits, the retention pond is being expanded in that area. That is all. No insider has ever said anything about plussing the train ride.
tenor.gif

Missing20K

Geez, skip a few days here and miss out on all the Sullivan, FLW, Corb, architecture and design fun. :D
It’s the largest box you’ll ever see for an indoor cutting edge roller coaster. No one is walking through it like a pavilion, but they already have the Energy building that’s upgraded for the attraction. Form follows function. Why would it be any less? In the future, the reality should should not have ruin it for you. Amazing that a building will break the reality that it’s something quite amazing in a building.
I believe you have misunderstood the mantra.

If I may....
"Form ever follows function."
The "ever" is nearly always missing from the quote and I'm of the opinion that it is an integral piece of the phrase, as form just doesn't follow function but it ever follows function, implying that it must, always, and forever, follow function. Not to worry, an entire generation of modernist architects misunderstood the phrase as well, even after being corrected by Sullivan himself. As @yensidtlaw1969 stated, and perhaps @lazyboy97o, the crime is against excessive ornamentation, not zero ornamentation.

"Less is more."
Perhaps a better architect and phrase to bolster your claims would be Mies van de Rohe and his mantra "Less is more." Mies was a minimalist who believed each building element should serve multiple functions and that buildings should be exceedingly simple and un-adorned. Adolf Loos' "Ornament and Crime" is also helpful reading for this attitude.

"Less is a bore."
Robert Venturi's mantra begins to bring design back to a place of storytelling and placemaking, through use of "artificial" elements that enhance and expand the experience one has when inhabiting the building.

I'd argue that themed entertainment spaces fall short of their potential when utilizing the first two mantras. Only when the story or theme dictates, should the ideas of form ever follows function or less is more be utilized much in the realm of themed entertainment design. There is no reason to be concerned about the overuse of ornamentation when the entire purpose is to tell a story. Tell the story using as many "useless" building elements as is needed to convey the proper emotion and reaction from the guest.

Now, one could argue that most of the original FW should follow the former two mantras (such as in the original World of Motion pavilion. The evolution of the automobile was mostly based around innovations in engineering and not aesthetics). However, with the new "direction" of FW, based on the addition of GotG, the latter "Less is a bore" mantra seems to be a better driver of the guest experience, as GotG is not a themed pavilion in the traditional FW sense, so attempting to use "form ever follows function" inherently leads to a disingenuous experience when viewing the new "box" structure.

Some interesting things can be done with boring designs. This is done with KolorShift metal panels.

And there is far more articulation of the exterior in your video than on the giant warehouse.
I must say things like a Disney character parade winding through Frontierland and Liberty Square seem much more problematic thematically than a barely noticeable square building outside the berm of a non-castle park.
What about a marching band in Future World?
View attachment 347239
Or a GotG dance party in the World Showcase?
So... can we have a thread solely about EPCOT Center’s design decisions? About each pavilion’s architecture and how they delivered its message through simple yet stunning buildings? With trivia? And pics? I think that’s long due.
Thanks.
I started a General Architecture thread in the Chit-Chat section that sorta died on the vine. Maybe it should be a Disney specific architecture thread?
It doesn’t look like it now does it...
So they might theme just the launch tunnel and ascent? That's gonna look.....interesting.

lazyboy97o

I'd argue that themed entertainment spaces fall short of their potential when utilizing the first two mantras. Only when the story or theme dictates, should the ideas of form ever follows function or less is more be utilized much in the realm of themed entertainment design. There is no reason to be concerned about the overuse of ornamentation when the entire purpose is to tell a story. Tell the story using as many "useless" building elements as is needed to convey the proper emotion and reaction from the guest.
I disagree. I think the best themed environments do very much follow on “form ever follows function,” with the function of the space not being a restaurant or store or ride, but telling the story. Superfluous props and “theming” muddle the story or become a crutch to distract from the lack of a cogent story by assaulting the viewer with quantity. Too many themed environments assume the world is only populated by hoarders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom