Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

This is so ridiculous. I just have no clue how they pull this off and keep any kind of cohesive theme to Epcot. I guess, they don't. I would love to know the master plan for this park but I would probably not be happy with it.
There is no master plan outside of shove IP's anywhere you can think of. Theming and mission statement be damned! I pray to god Martin is wrong about this but his track record and my gut tells me he isn't. I really will be finding it hard to continue to want to be involved with Disney or even life in general when they are done with Epcot. If Bob Chapek murdered my family I wouldn't hate him any more than I do now. OK, that might sound hyperbolic but that is the level of anger that Chapek's plans for Epcot have driven me to.

Last edited:

matt9112

Yes, I hate worker safety. And weekends. And the fact that my kids aren't allowed to work in a factory. And my retirement account. And health insurance.

Everything you mention is misguided. Universal built the Transformers ride in 12 months recently under the control of everything you listed. If Disney takes too long to build, the fault lies in what differs between Disney and Universal.

modern union operations are nothing like the ones that gave us all those rights you talk about. they often add cost considerably to a project because things like pensions and such need to be paid for. the hourly bid rate is far higher than non union labor. They also work in effect like a cartel using "labor" as the black market good benefiting the few union members at the cost of the non union versions of x industry. (this is not really an issue in Florida but in states like Massachusetts it is very hard to compete with unions due to this cartel like activity largely allowed due to prevailing wage laws and in some cases labor restriction from the government.

matt9112

From what I picked up from others: Corporate bloat. When you're big and in the lead, there's no incentive to be mean, lean, and quick. In fact, there's little incentive to do anything until people really start getting tired of you or there's competition coming up from behind. Both those things are happening right now, and so... three lands in three years plus a lot more plussing is on the way. Doldrums of capital investment has suddenly turned around... so a lot is being done... but not necessarily quickly... but not needlessly dragged out either.

exactly....disney is like intel....fat slow and caught way off guard when competition appears out of thin air.

matt9112

A very small portion of a 45 minute show, Martin. It was the driest show ever and offered so many things that we already knew coupled with implying how lucky we were to have Exxon working for our benefit. Pretty much around the same time they were forced to clean up the Valdez mess in Alaska. I was then, and remain, unimpressed.

i dont think it was that dull back than....now a days sure green energy isnt new but back than it was still novel...the only people with solar were rich or hippies....likely both.

RoysCabin

Yeah, honestly I always felt the Ellen update was more fossil fuel-friendly than the original '82 version was. Not to say the '82 version was perfect on that front, either, and the relationship with Exxon was one that Marty Sklar has said was one of the biggest sponsorship pains in the neck for Disney over the years, but it did feel like it was more about a broad overview of the topic itself.

And yeah, grateful to Martin for sharing those alternative plans with us, but now very, very sad they didn't go in that direction. I guess it's nice to know there are still folks at Imagineering fighting the good fight, but it's unfortunate how steep the hill they're being made to slog up really is.

dreamscometrue

Sorry if I missed this, but is it expected that this would be announced next weekend at D23, or is the possibility that Rat and Brazil will be announced enough for this year?

Winter

Wait, I thought it wasn't definite that it would be based on GOTG? Why are you guys acting like it's confirmed?

clemmo

Sorry if I missed this, but is it expected that this would be announced next weekend at D23, or is the possibility that Rat and Brazil will be announced enough for this year?
I'm guessing rat, gmr, gotg. Although Brazil announcement is possible it doesn't seem super likely imo

Haymarket2008

Wait, I thought it wasn't definite that it would be based on GOTG? Why are you guys acting like it's confirmed?

There was a period of time over a month ago when the Guardians plans were in flux and all but taken off the table, but there was apparently a huge change of plans and it is all but confirmed by insiders. Unfortunately.

Chef Mickey

Just not themed like this:
IMG_1872-610x789.jpg
That is just...wow.

bclane

Preshows. Several actually. And queues. And switchbacks. And queues. And load / unload. And queues.
Is it possible that the building will be used to queue up for more than one attraction? It's certainly big enough to be a launching point for for than one thing.

MCast

While I imagine Epcot will receive a sizable portion of the announcements made, I do wonder if they plan on revealing the rumored SW resort...

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Would it be fair to assume that WDI will once again create a "The Collector's Exhibit" museum type vibe for a good portion of the Energy building? An attraction within an attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom