Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If someone could sum it up, that would be greatly appreciated by many of us.

In a nutshell....

THE STORY SO FAR

The plans are:
Guardians of the Galaxy inspired ride coming to Universe of Energy
More eating options in Futureworld
Mission Space overhaul
Innoventions mostly gutted and repurposed. New interior layouts. Possible expansion here and there.
New landscaping, place making and "feel" to Futureworld central spine - the area from the entrance, around Spaceship Earth, through the fountain area and out towards showcase.
Proposals for The Land and Imagination, with nothing confirmed nor budgeted for as of yet.
Proposals for additions and updates at various places around Showcase.
Proposed new night time lagoon show in 2-3 years time.

Disclaimer: Don't shoot the messenger if any of the above fails to happen.

Last edited:

HeroOfWDW

Hey guys! I have been reading this forum a lot lately and I see a lot of "hate" on the park being taken over by IP's. What I am wondering is if Guardians could actually take over Ellen. I know there have been sight balloons, but is Disney actually going to pull the plug on Bill and Ellen?

CrescentLake

In a nutshell....

THE STORY SO FAR

The plans are:
Innoventions mostly gutted and repurposed. New interior layouts. Possible expansion here and there.
New landscaping, place making and "feel" to Futureworld central spine - the area from the entrance, around Spaceship Earth, through the fountain area and out towards showcase.
Proposals for The Land and Imagination, with nothing confirmed nor budgeted for as of yet.

Noooooo. I mean I know its time. But given Disney's recent track record, I honestly can't see them topping Illuminations. It is perfect for Epcot. It should be the theme song of the world. I'm all for change, and I think Illuminations needs some upgrades, but I am very skeptical of Disney's ability to make a show anything like this. It is my favorite thing in all of WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Noooooo. I mean I know its time. But given Disney's recent track record, I honestly can't see them topping Illuminations. It is perfect for Epcot. It should be the theme song of the world. I'm all for change, and I think Illuminations needs some upgrades, but I am very skeptical of Disney's ability to make a show anything like this. It is my favorite thing in all of WDW.
Last I heard there's indecision between a radical upgrade or a completely new show.

Ralphlaw

Agreed. 100%. Illuminations is also our favorite thing on our trips. It's beautiful, well-crafted, uplifting, and well themed. We usually see it more than once. I love the music, but eventually I do understand that it will become dated. A nice upgrade would be okay. They've done it before, with the music and the world basically staying the same. There seem to be different fireworks from time to time, and the lasers are far more pronounced now than they were. I could see an introduction of cool projections somehow ala the castle show in MK. I just hope it doesn't become Mickey and Goofy visit the world.

Becoming so attached can be a problem, especially when the curmudgeon in me kicks in. For 20 years, our local PBS network has the same early Saturday evening line-up: Lawrence Welk, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By. It's obviously become stale, but many big donors love that familiar programming so much that change literally hasn't happened in two decades. Yet new viewers aren't enticed.

Right now, Illuminations is ageless and great. Huge applause several times a night. Someday, it may not strike the chords, and change will take place. It'll be sad, so I hope that a modest makeover that keeps the music and theme will juice it up a bit and keep it vital for new generations. If they do nothing, yeah, it'll grow stale that much quicker.

Personally, if it changed up every night a little bit like Star Tours, that would be great. Imagine if they had 3 different versions of Illuminations on a rotation. Same basic music perhaps, but something different, like more bagpipes and slightly different video on the sphere screen one night, and then more winds and different video the next, etc. . . Maybe particular countries could be featured certain nights, like China for Chinese new year, with special fireworks from that pavilion like they do on New Years eve. Gee, we'd have to see it several nights, and have a longer stay at the resort to boot. Cool, very cool.

Mike S

In a nutshell....

THE STORY SO FAR

The plans are:

I say The Seas needs more help than The Land right now. You would think that Disney would as well after Finding Dory.

HeroOfWDW

Agreed. 100%. Illuminations is also our favorite thing on our trips. It's beautiful, well-crafted, uplifting, and well themed. We usually see it more than once. I love the music, but eventually I do understand that it will become dated. A nice upgrade would be okay. They've done it before, with the music and the world basically staying the same. There seem to be different fireworks from time to time, and the lasers are far more pronounced now than they were. I could see an introduction of cool projections somehow ala the castle show in MK. I just hope it doesn't become Mickey and Goofy visit the world.

Becoming so attached can be a problem, especially when the curmudgeon in me kicks in. For 20 years, our local PBS network has the same early Saturday evening line-up: Lawrence Welk, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By. It's obviously become stale, but many big donors love that familiar programming so much that change literally hasn't happened in two decades. Yet new viewers aren't enticed.

Right now, Illuminations is ageless and great. Huge applause several times a night. Someday, it may not strike the chords, and change will take place. It'll be sad, so I hope that a modest makeover that keeps the music and theme will juice it up a bit and keep it vital for new generations. If they do nothing, yeah, it'll grow stale that much quicker.

Personally, if it changed up every night a little bit like Star Tours, that would be great. Imagine if they had 3 different versions of Illuminations on a rotation. Same basic music perhaps, but something different, like more bagpipes and slightly different video on the sphere screen one night, and then more winds and different video the next, etc. . . Maybe particular countries could be featured certain nights, like China for Chinese new year, with special fireworks from that pavilion like they do on New Years eve. Gee, we'd have to see it several nights, and have a longer stay at the resort to boot. Cool, very cool.
I love the music for Illuminations, but it doesn't really do it for me. Not my favorite.

yeti

In a nutshell....

THE STORY SO FAR

The plans are:

Is a Mission Space update still on the table?

JWG

We all know that WDW has been gifted the appropriate Seas redo if they want IP overlay... we also know that given Seas is likely in a long line behind The Land, Imagination, Energy, and M:S so by the time they get to Seas, opportunity lost.

mickhyperion

I would be very sad to see Illuminations go, especially as it's the only night time show Disney currently seems to do right (i.e. a show that is designed to be viewed from anywhere around the lagoon and not from a relatively small, fastpass-required viewing/seating area like WOC, ROL, F! in DHS, or any of the MK/DL castle-centric shows.) If it's only an update or a new show that maintains the same viewing configuration, I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

jt04

This got me to thinking. If we really wish to clear up the confusion, why not bring @jt04 in for a free consult. As I understand it, everything is going as he has foreseen. I would love to hear what the voices in his head are telling him regarding this project.

Guardians points to the future of FW. Just as Frozen points the way for the direction of WS.

Also, as I pointed out years ago, the scale of Illuminations is off and I expect a major new show which showcases more Disney magic and less 1990's kitsch.

Now that will be $200. No personal checks please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom