Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

Perhaps, but a vacant plot of land needs more help than Energy.
Magic Kingdom which would be better: to replace the speedway or or remove it add something actually good and then fix up the facades, or to have the speedway updated? If yo just replace the storyline and change the videos in Ellen you're still going to be left with a boring attraction, it would require an absolute overhaul to make it good. And I think if Epcot is to not get a coaster for another 20 years or put it in Energy, Energy is the far better option.

Daveeeeed

That'd be fine with me as well. Lots of idea that don't involve shoehorning the wrong IP into the park or replacing an attraction that can be updated, or changed to something that actually fits.
Ellen is beyond the need of an Update it needs an absolute overhaul. I think everyone can agree (besides the very small minority) that original rides are better than ips especially for Epcot.

Daveeeeed

Generally, I agree. Unless that coaster has an inappropriate and incompatable theme and is put in place of, instead of in addition to, what's already there.
100% agree then. I very strongly dislike the use of an ip for Epcot. But either way a coaster without an ip would be much better than just updating the ride.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
And I think if Epcot is to not get a coaster for another 20 years or put it in Energy, Energy is the far better option.
I might agree with you there, but if those are the only choices, that is because the company refuses to consider others, and that (the refusal to update and expand) is what I am disappointed about. Adding something new needn't always result in killing something old.

Daveeeeed

Speak for yourself. My family enjoys Energy very much. It is dated, but very enjoyable. Indeed, my teenager has determined it is his favorite attraction in the park, over Soarin', over Test Track.

I've raised him right.
I love he music (I can play by ear so this is important to me), love the dinasaurs portion, but the ride as a whole is crap. It is no different than watching a movie a hundred times, it can become stale, unless you really like it. I think Universal has too many screen based attractions (it needs more diversity), but Universe of Energy is ridiculous, it is far worse than anything Universal has by the amount of screens.

Daveeeeed

I might agree with you there, but if those are the only choices, that is because the company refuses to consider others, and that (the refusal to update and expand) is what I am disappointed about. Adding something new needn't always result in killing something old.
The funds just don't come from thin air, you have to have priorities. Fix up a severely dated attraction or build a new ride and leave that ride to die for even longer, I'm sure if they had a choice the money would be spent for both, but they have to make money. In that sense it is no different than 30 years ago, the difference is now they use too many ips.

UpAllNight

This ride doesn't enter our radar....and I love Ellen as an entertainer. That's how bad it is. I rode it 10 years ago and have no desire to do so ever again. Any replacement is welcome as long as the theme is cohesive with the park. As it stands, Guardians doesn't seem cohesive with Epcot...but for its new direction, maybe?

Wikkler

Precisely my point. I love SSE (best ride at Epcot imho, especially the Jeremy Irons version) but Epcot needs a mild roller coaster. The attraction lineup is so stale (should Figment & the Nemo ride be called rides?) everything needs updates, but a coaster is needed for one of them. I think Energy is the best one for it, I'm just really disappointed they are using Guardians of the Galaxy.
...yes? Why wouldn't they? Even if they're mediocre, they're still rides...

Mike S

Mild ones in an appropriate setting. With respect.
So they were like BTMRR level of thrill or even less than that?
Out of curiosity why is it bad? Test track still works very well for the theme of the pavilion, and by from most Disney lovers who have ridden World of Motion and Test Track, Test Track is much better. Sure it doesn't really educate you, but Spaceship Earth does that very well, not so much can be said for World of Motion. Ellen barely educates you. Music is good though I will admit.
I don't remember ever riding WoM but from video I know which I would prefer right now. Recently I've grown distant to Test Track's thrill. I don't know why, I just have.

seabreezept813

A fact is that Epcot would be better without ips. I don't exactly know how a coaster wouldn't be anything but an improvement. You're getting rid of a ride that know one truly likes. Vehicles, dinosaurs, and music are the only downsides, and of course the ip, but for a coaster in general I think it would pretty much always be good for Epcot to have one.

I think the problem here isn't that nobody likes Energy or Ellen's Energy, but rather the condition of the ride is unacceptable. Also due to it's length my family only ever rode it every one out of two times because we didn't want to budget 40 minutes.
The concept still works, it just needs to be updated and reimagined. I grew up with the Ellen version and enjoyed it. If it's predecessor was as amazing as members imply here, it has the potential to be amazing.

Daveeeeed

Oh really?
tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

Most everyone I know enjoys Ellen for what it is. But then again, most of the people I know don't need high caliber thrill rides to enjoy themselves.
It can hold about 2,400 people per hour, but rarely, and I mean rarely even on busy days are half the seats filled up. So let's say it has 1,500 riders per hour and that's being generous, it closes at 7pm, and a good chunk of people use it just to rest, it's their first time or they go on it for the Dinasaur segment. The dinosaur part is incredible, everything else about that ride is so dated. It is that type of ride that you ride once, or you go on for nostalgia. That's it. It's better than figment, but again that's the only reason. By comparison to capacity for Pirates, 3,200+ per hour. The one in Paris in August usually has a 40 minute wait, Disney World has somewhere between an average of 20 and 30 minute waits for potc. The bottom line is it is not a good ride. I'm kind of in shock how all of this sudden it is now a good ride. Peter Pan is the same thing, people ride it for nostalgia. Although Disney won't ever get rid of Peter Pan as that is true nostalgia (40+ years old that is a must do on many people's list, that can't be said for ellen by almost anyone), but again we're losing sight that Energy is really not a good ride, you can replace the films, but it will just end up being the same thing. A ride that was good at first, but becomes awful after riding it a few times without nostalgia. The ride should be completely gutted, possibly a rollercoaster, the dino go to Animal Kingdom, and the ride becomes an energy ride. That won't happen sadly, so we're getting a Guardians of The Galaxy Rollercoaster. Not happy about the placement, but it is significantly better than leaving this ride to die.

Daveeeeed

I am also a teenager, and I have to drag my family on it whenever we go, they say it's only good for a nap.. :rolleyes:
That's my point, most people think to go on it for a nap. I always want to ride it, and we usually do, because it brings memories of myself and my family riding it, and I love the dinosaur segment, but that doesn't make it a good ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom