Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

britain

You can agree or disagree if frozen is a good attraction or not. You CANNOT disagree that it is in the wrong place, you just can't, so stop.

A person can disagree about whatever they want.

World showcase attractions can definitely be about a country's culture. El Rio de Tiempo had representation of fantastic ancient cultural figures. If it was the other way around and a movie was created which was based on El Rio, would that attraction suddenly not fit!?

Absurd. The only 2 problems with Frozen are 1) It's a Hans Christian Andersen tale and so should be in Denmark, not Norway. 2) It would be a BETTER fit in MK (and possibly a bigger attraction). That doesn't mean it doesn't fit EPCOT.

Phil12

You think of Fantasyland as modern animated canon toonland.

Back in the day, 20k was considered too frivolous for Tomorrowland. Too fantastic. It belonged with a Snow White which scared your socks off - without warning!, and a Toad where the rider died in the end to meet satan in hell. With a bavarian themed subland with Skyway - nary a toon in sight. With non-IP puppets singing about global harmony. All in a European mediaeval town inhabited by humans, instead of toons as in NFL. That housed an art festival.

However that may be, I think 20k was a bit misplaced. (As did the designers themselves, in all likelihood) More designed to form a transition between FL and TL (the one land transition that failed where all the others bring tears of joy for sheer design brilliance), a transition for which it would've served beautifully. Should've swapped placed with the Teacups, or better yet, have been placed elsewhere in a differently designed northeast MK area. To this day the most troubled area of the park.

That, and yes, there were different ideas of thematic unity than the dominant modern one based on singular place, narrative and character universe.
Disney obviously needs a a new land. We'll call it SteamPunkLand. Along with 20K and some other rides we'll also put in the teacups, but we'll change them to coffee cups since Starbucks will be the new sponsor!

The Empress Lilly

It doesn't fit in Epcot.

If only there was somewhere in the MK. Say with wasted space. Temporary tents that could easily be removed....

And not used as a quick fix, lame excuse to try to prop Epcots numbers up.
I would still find GotG a slightly weird fit in the MK, although much better than in FW. It's not a complete clash, but somehow it doesn't feel an organic fit either. Edit: wait, missed the post, thread moving too fast. The subject is now Frozen in the MK. Yes, that woyuld've been awesome in the MK.

It's a pity the new DHS lands are single-ip driven. A Marvel, or Marvel-esque, land would work there.

Mousetouille would be just perfect to anchor a new Big Five Land as replacement of Dumbo Tent Land. :)

Last edited:

Pam Hates Penguins

I would still find GotG a slightly weird fit in the MK, although much better than in FW. It's not a complete clash, but somehow it doesn't feel an organic fit either.

It's a pity the new DHS lands are single-ip driven. A Marvel, or Marvel-esque, land would work there.

Mickeytouille would be just perfect to anchor a new Big Five Land as replacement of Dumbo Tent Land. :)

Let's face it. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit at all with Disney Parks...

The Empress Lilly

Disney obviously needs a a new land. We'll call it SteamPunkLand. Along with 20K and some other rides we'll also put in the teacups, but we'll change them to coffee cups since Starbucks will be the new sponsor!
Steampunk was hip for like two minutes in two-thousand-are-you-kidding-me. Or was that last century even? And even then it was overrated. It's a style that clashes with Disney, regardless of what Tony Baxter may think.

It feels like the harsh, industrial, non-nostalgic relative of its cousin Victorian (and its US counterpart) style, which Disney always nails to perfection.

Biff215

Let's face it. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit at all with Disney Parks...
DHS certainly could be the right fit. Shame they don't seem to realize that park needs added capacity. I'd even be okay with using RnRC if it meant more superheroes could be added back there eliminating the dead end in the meantime. Just leave ToT alone!

Epcot could be "fixed" without shoving IP's in and probably done cheaper as well. when the dust settles, we could still have two parks with issues...DHS with capacity and Epcot with identity.

Mike S

I would still find GotG a slightly weird fit in the MK, although much better than in FW. It's not a complete clash, but somehow it doesn't feel an organic fit either.

Mousetouille would be just perfect to anchor a new Big Five Land as replacement of Dumbo Tent Land. :)
GotG would fit fine in Tomorrowland the same way Star Tours has since 1987 worldwide. Especially in Magic Kingdom where it takes inspiration from things like Buck Rogers.
DHS certainly could be the right fit. Shame they don't seem to realize that park needs added capacity. I'd even be okay with using RnRC if it meant more superheroes could be added back there eliminating the dead end in the meantime. Just leave ToT alone!

Epcot could be "fixed" without shoving IP's in and probably done cheaper as well. when the dust settles, we could still have two parks with issues...DHS with capacity and Epcot with identity.
That works too.

lazyboy97o

Steampunk was hip for like two minutes in two-thousand-are-you-kidding-me. Or was that last century even? And even then it was overrated. It's a style that clashes with Disney, regardless of what Tony Baxter may think.

It feels like the harsh, industrial, non-nostalgic relative of its cousin Victorian (and its US counterpart) style, which Disney always nails to perfection.
The problem with steampunk is that it gets confused with and substituted by spartan industrialism. All of the cold metal and mechanics needs to be properly scaled and balanced with different textures to create a sense of handcrafted warm.

The Empress Lilly

The problem with steampunk is that it gets confused with and substituted by spartan industrialism. All of the cold metal and mechanics needs to be properly scaled and balanced with different textures to create a sense of handcrafted warm.
Fair enough. Even so, I never liked Imagination's Dreamcatcher either. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom