News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

PorterRedkey

The original meaning of "decimate" is to kill one out of ten. But, it almost never gets used that way. Instead it's a fuzzy synonym for "devastate" So whether it was a Titan or an Asgardian or an Earthikin script writer, it's not a reliable assessment of the actual percent damage to Xandar.
Did you watch Monk? That is where I learned the true meaning of decimate.

PorterRedkey

Started to, but then dropped when his caretaker switched. But I knew of the real meaning from a good liberal arts education. ;)
I quit after the 1st season too, same reason.

I just learn how to make computers go beep-beep. The words I learned studying aren't nearly as fun or useful.

***trying to get back on topic.

Monk would have hated GotG in Epcot!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, I mean, we only have 4-5 attraction openings in the next 12 months (Animation Academy, Smuggler's, Rise, Rat, Mickey & Minnie). They really need to pump that number up.

(sarcasm)

And Skyliner, and two resort towers, and several new restaurants, and all of Rafiki Planet Watch in addition to Animation Academy, and a new fireworks show, and two updated circlevisions, and Awesome Planet, and BatB Sing-along, and all the park entrances revamped, and NBA Experience, and new Cirque show.

So yeah, need more and faster!

;)

Purduevian

I'm sorry but I need those measurements in terms of how many SSE's it can hold. I actually measure everything based on amount of SSE's.

I Answered this awhile ago actually!

Could 4 Spaceship Earths fit into the GotG Gravity Building? Obviously not by height as SE is taller, but by volume?
SE Diameter is 165 feet.
Volume of SE =4/3* pi *(d/2)^3 = ~2,352,069 ft ^3
Volume of 4 SE=~9,408,276 ft^3

GotG is a rectangular prism, Height = 133 feet, area of concrete pour = 72,000 sqft
Volume of GotG gravity building = 9,576,000 ft^3

Surprisingly close, but he is right!

So
4.071326442066292 SSE's can fit inside the gravity building, which is 4 spaceship earths and a few Phoenicians... Not including the queue or launch tunnel.

trainplane3

I Answered this awhile ago actually!

So
4.071326442066292 SSE's can fit inside the gravity building, which is 4 spaceship earths and a few Phoenicians... Not including the queue or launch tunnel.
CURSE YOU MILLENNIALS AND YOUR MATH! ;) You know what I'm getting at...

Good math though. It's always been my worse subject. I ended up convincing my professor to pass me on my third time through after explaining him I don't need hardcore math for my kind of IT work. So far it's held true for the past 6-ish years of big boy work.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think the problem behind "edutainment" is people's idea of it. Sure, the way it was presented 30+ years ago isn't working as well today. From an education perspective, with current attention spans and what kids (and adults, alike) have access to these days, I think it's role in keeping audiences/guests engaged is as relevant as it has ever been when it comes to learning.

As a person who regularly puts together presentations and learning materials (for adults in a corporate environment) I can tell you that I spend more time working on making what I'm producing compelling than I do on the actual source material I'm trying to present. In this day and age where everyone has one (or more) devices on them competing for attention, it's become more important than ever and that's not even taking into consideration what modern science tells us about the way people learn and retain information which for most of human history, was completely misunderstood.

That said, the thing about Epcot is that modern Disney has completely given up on the concept of what it was originally supposed to be. Edutainment hasn't failed in so much as Disney has decided that it's cheaper, easier, and more profitable to step away from just about every concept this park was founded on.

Just consider the gravity building. When Epcot first opened, experimental construction techniques were employed in many of the future world buildings. With only unique exceptions such as The Land** (where the size and scope of the structure were intentionally hidden to put more focus in the front on... well, land) the actual attraction spaces were housed in these unique structures that were meant to be seen and marveled at. There were no "go away" paint colors. These buildings weren't just facades hiding conventional warehouse structures the way rides of similar scope (POTC, HM, for instance) were handled in the past. Universe of energy lived up to its promise employing solar power cells into it's design which were intended to be a feature of the ascetic and not just a tack-on.

For various reasons, almost every optimistic and ambitious idea Disney originally had for this park has slowly been killed off. In terms of construction, GOTG isn't the first. Soarin ride buildings and Mission Space* which is a basic box on the back by a stylish front(both with a crazy-long exit due in part to their decision on the construction/hidden aspect) were early droppers of the original concept but GOTG obviously raises the bar with an even more obvious structure and an attraction that is (pardon the pun) entirely alien to the for-now theme of this part of the park.

As what was, for most of its life, the second most visited theme park in the World, Epcot never really failed in original execution. The problem is that management failed to maintain and expand it. The world changes and the what we are shown as fact along with how it is presented, needs to, too.

A lot changed in the world of energy over the time that the Ellen version of UOE ran and Disney couldn't even be pressed to update to reflect the fact that most people today don't even know the star of the attraction from the sitcom version of her shown there. What hope did we ever have that they were going to redo anything else about it to make it more relative not just to today's audience but also today's reality of energy?

Keeping up with developments in the world to continue to educate takes more effort than Disney, without a sponsor in the sector willing to foot the bill, is interested in outlaying.

So Epcot is changing. We'll have a permanent outdoor beer garden in place of an indoor (air conditioned) interactive area for learning. It'll be much cheaper to maintain and update and will make a lot more money than what was there before, I'm sure.

While Epcot continues to change, those of us who remember and love what it once was will continue to be unhappy. We will continue to complain about things like this attraction, not because we don't want to see it built (well, most of us, anyway) but because we are sad that it comes at the expense of something we know is never coming back.

For those of you who came along later and saw only the mess of neglect that resulted from Disney not showing an interest in upkeep, I know this probably doesn't make sense. To you, anything new and at least semi-well done feels like a huge win but Epcot was once something totally unique in concept and vision. For those who liked that, seeing it turned into this place that is basically a weird Magic Kingdom widely known for alcohol is... uncomfortable.

*That a large and genuinely unique structure was demolished to make room for the small warehouse box that replaced it was a disappointing loss - at least the UOE front is being kept in some form - even if it is just to act as the facade to hide the new show building, I guess.

**Edited to add, as someone pointed out that JII was largely housed in a boxy structure behind the pyramids. This perhaps seems less obvious and offensive because this was worked into the design of the park to better hide - a luxury they had starting from scratch that they don't really have with additions but just the same, it's closer to Haunted mansion and Pirates than not.
Epcot doesn't have to be edutainment anymore, but it should at least inspire. I'm not as 'no IP' as others, but I do want thematic consistency. The reason I'm not completely anti IP here is that characters are only one element of a story. Setting, plot, and most importantly, theme, are also part of it.

If they used Guardians to tell a story about the untapped energy of the universe, or something similar that was grounded in the real world and was inspiring where the plot and theme were appropriate to Epcot's mission, I'd be 100% OK with that.

However, if it turns into a Guardians clip show, or just about the music, etc. Or just Peter Quill visited Epcot as a kid, I will not be.

Story matters.

DCLcruiser

@mikejs78 I agree completely. IP is a great way to create buzz (pun intended) and to deliver a message. EPCOT should include a form of education about the past/present/future, but at the same time it needs to be entertaining. They have so far done a good job of overlaying advertisements (Chevy) and characters (Nemo), while keeping the message about transportation and the environment. Frozen could push Norway a bit more, but the overall idea is there. Unfortunately, the park is getting stale and needs more. Hopefully GotG has an energy angle and TestTrack needs to push Electric Cars more heavily.

EPCOT has always been my favorite park. Big Figment fan since '89 here (just not the current ride).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom