News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

DreamfinderGuy

Dang near impossible to see in photos, but the inside of Energy is a steel mess currently. One concrete wall is up, and it appears that a second floor is in development. A lot of pipes going around the building (Mission Breakout, anyone?)
B35E174A-937E-4BAC-B02B-A1C651E9A244.jpeg
80A156AD-946D-4A3C-97ED-F454BF9B39E8.jpeg

Also new Solar Panel supports(?) are up.
F92F7D94-4F68-4DF5-84C8-DCABB76B344C.jpeg

MrPromey

Depends on how it's presented. If it were done in a similar way to UoE and WoM, sure. But I was thinking more along the lines of the TT car building. Let it be engaging, using the IPs to make it more exciting to kids nowadays.

I think the problem behind "edutainment" is people's idea of it. Sure, the way it was presented 30+ years ago isn't working as well today. From an education perspective, with current attention spans and what kids (and adults, alike) have access to these days, I think it's role in keeping audiences/guests engaged is as relevant as it has ever been when it comes to learning.

As a person who regularly puts together presentations and learning materials (for adults in a corporate environment) I can tell you that I spend more time working on making what I'm producing compelling than I do on the actual source material I'm trying to present. In this day and age where everyone has one (or more) devices on them competing for attention, it's become more important than ever and that's not even taking into consideration what modern science tells us about the way people learn and retain information which for most of human history, was completely misunderstood.

That said, the thing about Epcot is that modern Disney has completely given up on the concept of what it was originally supposed to be. Edutainment hasn't failed in so much as Disney has decided that it's cheaper, easier, and more profitable to step away from just about every concept this park was founded on.

Just consider the gravity building. When Epcot first opened, experimental construction techniques were employed in many of the future world buildings. With only unique exceptions such as The Land** (where the size and scope of the structure were intentionally hidden to put more focus in the front on... well, land) the actual attraction spaces were housed in these unique structures that were meant to be seen and marveled at. There were no "go away" paint colors. These buildings weren't just facades hiding conventional warehouse structures the way rides of similar scope (POTC, HM, for instance) were handled in the past. Universe of energy lived up to its promise employing solar power cells into it's design which were intended to be a feature of the ascetic and not just a tack-on.

For various reasons, almost every optimistic and ambitious idea Disney originally had for this park has slowly been killed off. In terms of construction, GOTG isn't the first. Soarin ride buildings and Mission Space* which is a basic box on the back by a stylish front(both with a crazy-long exit due in part to their decision on the construction/hidden aspect) were early droppers of the original concept but GOTG obviously raises the bar with an even more obvious structure and an attraction that is (pardon the pun) entirely alien to the for-now theme of this part of the park.

As what was, for most of its life, the second most visited theme park in the World, Epcot never really failed in original execution. The problem is that management failed to maintain and expand it. The world changes and the what we are shown as fact along with how it is presented, needs to, too.

A lot changed in the world of energy over the time that the Ellen version of UOE ran and Disney couldn't even be pressed to update to reflect the fact that most people today don't even know the star of the attraction from the sitcom version of her shown there. What hope did we ever have that they were going to redo anything else about it to make it more relative not just to today's audience but also today's reality of energy?

Keeping up with developments in the world to continue to educate takes more effort than Disney, without a sponsor in the sector willing to foot the bill, is interested in outlaying.

So Epcot is changing. We'll have a permanent outdoor beer garden in place of an indoor (air conditioned) interactive area for learning. It'll be much cheaper to maintain and update and will make a lot more money than what was there before, I'm sure.

While Epcot continues to change, those of us who remember and love what it once was will continue to be unhappy. We will continue to complain about things like this attraction, not because we don't want to see it built (well, most of us, anyway) but because we are sad that it comes at the expense of something we know is never coming back.

For those of you who came along later and saw only the mess of neglect that resulted from Disney not showing an interest in upkeep, I know this probably doesn't make sense. To you, anything new and at least semi-well done feels like a huge win but Epcot was once something totally unique in concept and vision. For those who liked that, seeing it turned into this place that is basically a weird Magic Kingdom widely known for alcohol is... uncomfortable.

*That a large and genuinely unique structure was demolished to make room for the small warehouse box that replaced it was a disappointing loss - at least the UOE front is being kept in some form - even if it is just to act as the facade to hide the new show building, I guess.

**Edited to add, as someone pointed out that JII was largely housed in a boxy structure behind the pyramids. This perhaps seems less obvious and offensive because this was worked into the design of the park to better hide - a luxury they had starting from scratch that they don't really have with additions but just the same, it's closer to Haunted mansion and Pirates than not.

Last edited:

Spash007

I think the problem behind "edutainment" is people's idea of it. Sure, the way it was presented 30+ years ago isn't working as well today. From an education perspective, with current attention spans and what kids (and adults, alike) have access to these days, I think it's role in keeping audiences/guests engaged is more important than ever when it comes to learning.

As a person who regularly puts together presentations and learning materials (for adults in a corporate environment) I can tell you that I spend more time working on making what I'm producing compelling than I do on the actual source material I'm trying to present. In this day and age where everyone has one (or more) devices on them competing for attention, it's become more important than ever and that's not even taking into consideration what modern science tells us about the way people learn and retain information which for most of human history, was completely misunderstood.

That said, the thing about Epcot is that modern Disney has completely given up on the concept of what it was originally supposed to be. Edutainment hasn't failed in so much as Disney has decided that it's cheaper, easier, and more profitable to step away from just about every concept this park was founded on.

Just consider the gravity building. When Epcot first opened, experimental construction techniques were employed in many of the future world buildings. With only unique exceptions such as The Land (where the size and scope of the structure were intentionally hidden to put more focus in the front on... well, land) the actual attraction spaces were housed in these unique structures that were meant to be seen and marveled at. There were no "go away" paint colors. These buildings weren't just facades hiding conventional warehouse structures the way rides of similar scope (POTC, HM, for instance) were handled in the past. Universe of energy lived up to its promise employing solar power cells into it's design which were intended to be a feature of the ascetic and not just a tack-on.

For various reasons, almost every optimistic and ambitious idea Disney originally had for this park has slowly been killed off. In terms of construction, GOTG isn't the first. Soarin ride buildings and Mission Space* which is a basic box on the back by a stylish front(both with a crazy-long exit due in part to their decision on the construction/hidden aspect) were early droppers of the original concept but GOTG obviously raises the bar with an even more obvious structure and an attraction that is (pardon the pun) entirely alien to the for-now theme of this part of the park.

As what was, for a long time, the second most visited theme park in the World, Epcot never really failed in original execution. The problem is that management failed to maintain and expand it. A lot changed in the world of energy over the time that the Ellen version of UOE ran and Disney couldn't even be pressed to update to reflect the fact that most people today don't even know the star of the attraction from the sitcom version of her shown there. Keeping up with developments in the world to continue to educate takes more effort than Disney, without a sponsor in the sector willing to foot the bill, is interested in outlaying.

So Epcot is changing. We will have a permanent beer garden in place of an interactive area for learning. It'll be much cheaper to maintain and update and will make a lot more money than what was there before, I'm sure.

While Epcot continues to changes, those of us who remember and love what it once was will continue to be unhappy and upset. We will continue to complain about things like this attraction, not because we don't want to see it built (well, most of us, anyway) but because we are sad that it comes at the expense of something we know is never coming back.

*That a large and genuinely unique structure was demolished to make room for the small warehouse box that replaced it was a dissapointing loss - at least the UOE front is being kept in some form - even if it is just to act as the facade to hide the new show building, I guess.

Dang, that hit the Epcot problem on the mark, much better than I've seen anyone verbalize it! When you fully realize how the opportunities were missed, and now that it's too late, it really is just sad. Don't mind me as I go for a liquid lunch...

Bender123

Just consider the gravity building. When Epcot first opened, experimental construction techniques were employed in many of the future world buildings. With only unique exceptions such as The Land (where the size and scope of the structure were intentionally hidden to put more focus in the front on... well, land) the actual attraction spaces were housed in these unique structures that were meant to be seen and marveled at. There were no "go away" paint colors. These buildings weren't just facades hiding conventional warehouse structures the way rides of similar scope (POTC, HM, for instance) were handled in the past. Universe of energy lived up to its promise employing solar power cells into it's design which were intended to be a feature of the ascetic and not just a tack-on.

That's true for some...They were designed to be "show ready" for the planned monorail expansion that would go behind them.

There are definitely warehouses at Epcot...JII is basically a warehouse behind the pyramids, Mexico is literally a façade with a warehouse, America is a warehouse and Japan is too. Land is unique in that the building, itself is a ride requirement as you have greenhouses...you cant hide the design when you need it clear.

Disney has always made things show ready, when needed and warehoused it for the areas that were never intended to be on stage. The problem with rides getting bigger is that this task becomes impossible to keep straight. Wither you hide it with paint, make it stand out like a sore thumb with no paint or theme it and make it stand out (ToT). Doing anything to the gravity building would instantly draw more attention to it than just slapping the go aways on it.

Or you don't build it there, which was my choice, but we have to live in the world we have.

FigmentJedi

"Peter visited Epcot as a kid" is only the first half of their backstory. Per the Guardians dance party storyline, the second half is that Quill decided to use those childhood memories to pitch Xandar on the idea of introducing Earth to Nova Corps by way of establishing a Xandar Pavilion at Epcot, but in Future World instead of World Showcase.

MrPromey

That's true for some...They were designed to be "show ready" for the planned monorail expansion that would go behind them.

There are definitely warehouses at Epcot...JII is basically a warehouse behind the pyramids, Mexico is literally a façade with a warehouse, America is a warehouse and Japan is too. Land is unique in that the building, itself is a ride requirement as you have greenhouses...you cant hide the design when you need it clear.

Disney has always made things show ready, when needed and warehoused it for the areas that were never intended to be on stage. The problem with rides getting bigger is that this task becomes impossible to keep straight. Wither you hide it with paint, make it stand out like a sore thumb with no paint or theme it and make it stand out (ToT). Doing anything to the gravity building would instantly draw more attention to it than just slapping the go aways on it.

Or you don't build it there, which was my choice, but we have to live in the world we have.

I'll give you that on Imagination but regarding the rest of your examples, they aren't a part of future world which is specifically what I referred to.

From a design perspective, making unique modern structures with new construction techniques to hold unique attractions that delved into ideas about the future felt a lot like buying into the same concepts they were trying to sell guests on.

I guess they could have tried to fit a boat ride into a Mayan themed pyramid or a theater into a traditional colonial structure but I'm not exactly sure what the point would have been.

Regarding your comments on the gravity building, I completely agree. I agree it went in the wrong place and I agree that them doing anything more would have drawn more attention to it. That's why, among other reasons, I'm optomistic for it as an added attraction to WDW but not happy about it being in Future World at Epcot.

They can hide large buildings or make them fit when they put them in the appropriate spot. Two examples of what could have been problems are RnRC and FOP... It looks like it may be the same with the new Star Wars attraction that we haven't yet seen... but of course, they were never going to spend FOP or GE money on the exterior of an attraction for Future World and the soundstage trick doens't work in a non-movie themed part.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

lol, I just cringe at the idea that they literally gutted "classic Epcot" to make way for a new IP-infused attraction that would pay homage to "classic Epcot". They should have just updated UOE and put GOTG in RnRC.
I’m just Wow’d at yet another ridiculous comment about theming consistency at WDW parks. DHS on Sunset Boulevard has 1940s theming. RNRC with Aerosmith is inconsistent with the overall theme of this area and the park as a whole. Replacing Aerosmith with Guardians is so theming inconsistent that I wonder if you’re having what Steve Tyler is. At DCA, the whole point of Guardians in ToT is a theming change. They will turn Sunset Boulevard into Superheroes Land if they ever decide to add Marvel into DHS.

Try to understand what you’re saying.

Movielover

DHS on Sunset Boulevard has 1940s theming. RNRC with Aerosmith is inconsistent with the overall theme of this area and the park as a whole.

Not quite accurate. Sunset Blvd. moves through time as you travel down it. You start in the 20's and 30's (Golden Age) at the corner of Hollywood and Sunset. Pass through the 40's about halfway down with the victory gardens, pass through the 90's with RnRC and G-Force Records before settling in the present with TOT ("The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed.").

DanielBB8

Not quite accurate. Sunset Blvd. moves through time as you travel down it. You start in the 20's and 30's (Golden Age) at the corner of Hollywood and Sunset. Pass through the 40's about halfway down with the victory gardens, pass through the 90's with RnRC and G-Force Records before settling in the present with TOT ("The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed.").
The TOT may be set in the present as the narrative, but the architecture harkens to the previous era. RNRC sticks out inconsistently. They married the warehouse look of the studios backlot with the golden age of Hollywood. It’s still inconsistent.

Movielover

The TOT may be set in the present as the narrative, but the architecture harkens to the previous era.

Yes... thats literally the premise of the attraction. We are exploring a abandoned hotel from the 30's. You do know that abandoned buildings don't update their exterior architecture as time moves on right?

giphy.gif

They married the warehouse look of the studios backlot with the golden age of Hollywood

You have clearly never been to LA, more specifically Hollywood itself. You literally just described every other street corner.

Paramount Studios

Warner Brothers

Heck even Disney, although they hide it a bit better...

It's actually some of the closest Disney has gotten to perfectly implement a theme. Architecture ranging from the 30's to modern day mixed together with a soundstage in the back right next to a abandoned and run down hotel. Now please explain to me how this area is inconsistent?

DanielBB8

Yes... thats literally the premise of the attraction. We are exploring a abandoned hotel from the 30's. You do know that abandoned buildings don't update their exterior architecture as time moves on right?

giphy.gif

You have clearly never been to LA, more specifically Hollywood itself. You literally just described every other street corner.

Paramount Studios
View attachment 381488

Warner Brothers
View attachment 381489

View attachment 381490

It's actually some of the closest Disney has gotten to perfectly implement a theme. Architecture ranging from the 30's to modern day mixed together with a soundstage in the back right next to a abandoned and run down hotel. Now please explain to me how this area is inconsistent?
You’re trying to justify theming inconsistency and especially with how it’s presented with period actors in from of the Chinese Theater before they were fired. The abandoned TOT has bellhops that is consistent with a working hotel of that era and not abandoned. If you were sent back via the TZ, it still isn’t consistent. You exit out into the same hotel as if you were still in that place and time. To be consistent, they need people in lab coats telling you there’s paranormal activity going on.

Every street corner has a Home Depot and Costco that looks exactly the same.

Mac Tonight

I’m just Wow’d at yet another ridiculous comment about theming consistency at WDW parks. DHS on Sunset Boulevard has 1940s theming. RNRC with Aerosmith is inconsistent with the overall theme of this area and the park as a whole. Replacing Aerosmith with Guardians is so theming inconsistent that I wonder if you’re having what Steve Tyler is. At DCA, the whole point of Guardians in ToT is a theming change. They will turn Sunset Boulevard into Superheroes Land if they ever decide to add Marvel into DHS.

Try to understand what you’re saying.

You already believe RnRC is thematically inconsistent with the area (and park overall, lol) yet swapping it for the equally thematically inconsistent GOTG would be an egregious error...

Sure thing man. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Mac Tonight

giphy.gif

Paramount Studios
View attachment 381488

Warner Brothers
View attachment 381489

View attachment 381490

Save your energy dude. It’s not worth it. :)

DanielBB8

You already believe RnRC is thematically inconsistent with the area (and park overall, lol) yet swapping it for the equally thematically inconsistent GOTG would be an egregious error...

Sure thing man. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Is this so hard? You’re completely off as usual.

Mac Tonight

Is this so hard? You’re completely off as usual.
Wow, man. You’re right! I am always off. In fact, you’re the only one on these boards who actually “gets it”! We’re not even in league with you. What’s your secret? What Imagineer did you study under? How many trips to Imagineering did it take before it all sunk in? How many years did you spend behind the scenes at Disney to achieve guru status??? We’re not worthy of your greatness!

DanielBB8

Wow, man. You’re right! I am always off. In fact, you’re the only one on these boards who actually “gets it”! We’re not even in league with you. What’s your secret? What Imagineer did you study under? How many trips to Imagineering did it take before it all sunk in? How many years did you spend behind the scenes at Disney to achieve guru status??? We’re not worthy of your greatness!
I get it. You really want GOTG to take over RNRC. Then inadvertently trigger Ant-Man and Wasp in ToT. No stopping what else happens.

Movielover

Save your energy dude. It’s not worth it. :)

I know right? I was going to go in depth on how everything he said was completely wrong, like how the streetmosphere actors weren't the only thing setting Hollywood Blvd. in the 30's. Or how this...

and this...

Clearly show that the hotel is supposed to be abandoned. And if it wasn't clear based on those photos then I guess the ride can just speak for it's self. The ending narration clearly states that the hotel is abandoned.

"The next time you check into a deserted hotel on the dark side of Hollywood"

Lets look that up.

Deserted, adjective, A place devoid of people. See abandoned.

Well I guess the actual ride itself is wrong then. As for the Bellhops, multiple rides have to work in ride ops that sometimes go against their story, for example the Haunted Mansion is suppose to be abandoned as well. but it's crawling with ride ops. Are they suppose to be ghosts? If so why do they look different than the ghost on the ride? The presence of ride ops is something that has to be sacrificed in order to have the ride operational.

But you're right Mac Tonight, there's just no dealing with one's stubbornness and too shortsighted to see their lunacy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom