News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

TJJohn12

...Meanwhile, the Fantasyland dark rides for example can stay both timeless and relevant. Guardians will one day end up irrelevant and dated, just like every other Epcot attraction at the end of their life....

Peter Pan was released two years before Disneyland opened. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad was only 6 years old. Alice in Wonderland was 4 years old. Fantasyland’s “timeless” rides were originally based on new and hot IP.

If the GotG ride is well executed it very well could outlive the relevance of its IP. If they take the steps to make the story itself relevant, or if the ride system remains novel and exciting, it could become a classic.

EDIT: And before we go down that road, the Peter Pan book was published 41 years before Disney’s movie. The first Guardians comic was released 45 years before Disney’s movie. So it’s not like the story was any more or less culturally embedded before Disney grabbed it.

Last edited:

The Pho

If the GotG ride is well executed it very well could outlive the relevance of its IP. If they take the steps to make the story itself relevant, or if the ride system remains novel and exciting, it could become a classic.

EDIT: And before we go down that road, the Peter Pan book was published 41 years before Disney’s movie. The first Guardians comic was released 45 years before Disney’s movie. So it’s not like the story was any more or less culturally embedded before Disney grabbed it.

Ultimately I think most people here will agree that it comes down to the quality of the ride itself as to whether it can live on for a long time. However I’ll counter the Peter Pan and Guardians comparison. They are completely different in cultural relevance by the time Disney got to them. Peter Pan was well known and had multiple high profile adaptations across multiple mediums. By the time Disney got there, it was a classic story. Guardians was the exact opposite, it was nearly 100% unknown to the general public until the film released.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
At least Guardians would still have a coaster and wouldn't have gone into Epcot ... and one would hope they would of budgeted it properly ... but it's neither here nor there, they aren't and Epcot is getting Guardians no matter how hard they have to "fit" it in ... but with the coasters having similar gravity buildings and a separate queue/load building, let's not pretend they couldn't have just as easily put Guardians there. Instead of spending all of this dough on Energy and then still eventually re-theming RnRc (people seem to want to ignore it but it is eventually going to be re-themed ...)

Either choice is dumb. Taking out Energy for the coaster or retheming RnRC. They need to build new things or update. Add capacity. They haven't quite figured this out yet.

Are they honestly trying to fail?

Exactly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
4EE81AFD-E937-463F-ACB2-4927FF7DB822.jpeg

NothingRhymeswithOrange

I just got back yesterday after spending the past week at the parks, and I can confirm that this building is HUGE. The pictures surely do not do the size of this building justice. You can see this building everywhere throughout world showcase as it towers over every tree and building. The blue paint just does not work to hide it, even when it’s bright and sunny outside, and there is this red part of the building, which I’m assuming is hiding the lift or big drop, that is a complete eye sore.

tparris

I just got back yesterday after spending the past week at the parks, and I can confirm that this building is HUGE. The pictures surely do not do the size of this building justice. You can see this building everywhere throughout world showcase as it towers over every tree and building. The blue paint just does not work to hide it, even when it’s bright and sunny outside, and there is this red part of the building, which I’m assuming is hiding the lift or big drop, that is a complete eye sore.
The red will not be there when it is complete.

Kman101

How long do we expect this to operate anyway? Obviously the coaster will have a long shelf life but I give the Guardians theme a decade, two tops

The problem I'm having with the Marvel attractions is that they're using the casts faces (how long will Ant-Man last in Hong Kong? Does Iron Man show RDJ's face? I can't recall truthfully). It makes it dated almost instantly. Just like RnRc now using an aging band (regardless of my feelings on both; I actually like the Guardians but they've given them limited shelf life in terms of attractions)

That's like if they suddenly started using Tom Holland in Universal's Spider-Man attraction. The version now is classic. It would be dated.

The problem is folks want these things "now" and Disney wants to capitalize on it, but in 10-15-20 years they have to re-theme, but hey, I guess that's another execs problem, right? ;)

Kman101

Yep. It is. But so many will tell us we're just being negative. But it's truly an eyesore. For the record, I find the gravity building for RnRc an eyesore too but they have an excuse of being a "Studios" park (a lazy excuse but it's "in theme" so to speak ...)

Imagineer777

The problem I'm having with the Marvel attractions is that they're using the casts faces (how long will Ant-Man last in Hong Kong? Does Iron Man show RDJ's face? I can't recall truthfully). It makes it dated almost instantly. Just like RnRc now using an aging band (regardless of my feelings on both; I actually like the Guardians but they've given them limited shelf life in terms of attractions)

That's like if they suddenly started using Tom Holland in Universal's Spider-Man attraction. The version now is classic. It would be dated.

The problem is folks want these things "now" and Disney wants to capitalize on it, but in 10-15-20 years they have to re-theme, but hey, I guess that's another execs problem, right? ;)
I get where you're coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree...In my opinion, I think that the MCU (specifically The Infinity Saga) has and will continue to leave a huge impact on pop culture just like Star Wars did all those years ago. There's a ton of potential to create an immersive land like Galaxy's Edge for the MCU, and even though we're only getting the GOTG (so far), I'm really looking forward to seeing how the final product turns out!

FigmentForver96

Wouldn’t it make more sense to wait and see the longevity of the movies? I mean nobody is needing to replace Rod Serling with Jordan Peele to keep the ride updated for the kiddos over at the Tower. I’m not arguing just making a point that actors can become associated with their characters. RDJ for Iron Man...most people, especially younger kids would go “Oh that’s iron man” not RBJ. Same with like Daniel Radcliffe.

RSoxNo1

According to some they "ruined" Epcot a long time ago...
Epcot's attendance only recovered from the construction of Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2017. While individual aspects of the park are better, the whole park is far less cohesive than it was in the 80s and 90s. They've taken a piecemeal approach to gradually turn the park into a version of the Magic Kingdom, stripping it's original identity and furthering the homogenization of Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom