News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

FigmentFan82

THIS!! Yes, I agree with this.

How many times do you remember a place from your childhood and in your memories it was large....beautiful.....impressive and then you revisit the place only to find that it was actually pretty small and not all that much?

I truly believe that our experiences and our memories, our nostalgia if you will, is the very thing that makes these places larger than real life for us. We remember the way it made us feel and all of the good times we had there but honestly to someone who was not there when you were or who does not have the same memories you do, it may not mean the same thing.

We who love what Epcot is today or even was in the recent years past are not uncouth and unwashed because we don't long for what it was for all of you. My children LOVED Innoventions. They still talk about making paper and the Piggy Bank Adventure to this day because that was their childhood. That doesn't mean their opinions are worth any less than a person whose childhood was Body Wars and who loves and misses that.

Jenny72

I'd like to note that it's not just theme park obsessives/Disneyphiles/etc. who find the placement of GotG really jarring in Epcot. I was a member of the great unwashed public until I saw an announcement somewhere that GotG was coming to Epcot and said, "whhhaaat?" That's actually what brought me to this board in the first place. I hadn't really given the rest of it that much thought until then, even with the addition of Frozen. I think even some people who don't spend a lot of time thinking about theme parks will notice how ill-fitting this is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are people actually "moaning and complaining", or is it that they offer inconvenient information to those who simply do not want to hear it?

Inconvenient information irritates people.
I didn’t say everyone was moaning and complaining, but yes there has been plenty of it and it goes well beyond inconvenient information.

joshjoned

I'd like to note that it's not just theme park obsessives/Disneyphiles/etc. who find the placement of GotG really jarring in Epcot. I was a member of the great unwashed public until I saw an announcement somewhere that GotG was coming to Epcot and said, "whhhaaat?" That's actually what brought me to this board in the first place. I hadn't really given the rest of it that much thought until then, even with the addition of Frozen. I think even some people who don't spend a lot of time thinking about theme parks will notice how ill-fitting this is.

They have to bring something to Epcot to bring more families in. I love Epcot, but with all the things being put into HS, and with the additions already added to AK, and Tron to MK, they had no choice BUT to put it in Epcot, or risk their second oldest park being the least visited of their four theme parks. The last thing Disney wants is to have Epcot being known as the new "Hollywood studios", which is why you are seeing it be completely revamped to appeal more to families and younger kids.

lazyboy97o

They have to bring something to Epcot to bring more families in. I love Epcot, but with all the things being put into HS, and with the additions already added to AK, and Tron to MK, they had no choice BUT to put it in Epcot, or risk their second oldest park being the least visited of their four theme parks. The last thing Disney wants is to have Epcot being known as the new "Hollywood studios", which is why you are seeing it be completely revamped to appeal more to families and younger kids.
They had no choice? What a crock. They have an entire team dedicated to coming up with attractions.

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
Some shots I took today, a lot of movement going on in the launch section.
D0234368-6035-4FD0-BA9E-38937CD872BB.jpeg
387E73DC-7B25-4516-AF58-72079A8BD965.jpeg

etc98

They had plenty of choices.

But you’re getting something that will split many families up instead.
I can see it now:
"Mommy, why are you and Daddy getting a divorce?"
"Well you see, it all started when Disney decided to build a big blue box in Epcot..."

Sorry, I literally never post on here, but that was too good of an opportunity to pass up. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They had plenty of choices.

But you’re getting something that will split many families up instead.
Any idea on a height restriction for this ride? I know it doesn’t have inversions but will it still have enough motion and speed to justify a height restriction above the 40 inch non-coaster standard.

_caleb

There is not a solid frame behind the exterior walls. They are held up by girts which are a light system that are not intended for much weight. The thickness of the exterior walls is almost all foam, with thin sheets of metal sandwiching it. Perforated metal panel systems require a more substantial wall assembly like steel studs, which would be vertically oriented and no more than 2’ from each other while the girts run horizontally and are at least 4’ apart. So even perforated metal panels would require building another wall somewhere to hold them up, making the existing walls pointless.

Another good indicator that this is the final exterior is the overflow scuppers. You’d be pouring water down on any lighting or attachments, testing their water tightness and obscuring the visibility of the overflowing water.
Got it. Thanks.
So we can look forward to vinyl decals for “theming” in a couple years then?

tl77

There's a beautiful symmetry between Communicore East and the BBB...

View attachment 352870
Wish the BBB looked a little more interesting though... Most the buildings in Future World are based on simple geometric shapes, Spaceship Earth in a Sphere, Imagination is a Pyramid, Test Track is a Cylinder, the top of the Land is kind of a Cone shape, and The Energy Pavilion is a Triangular Wedge... "Big Cube" fits in pretty well with all that, but it really needs a better paint job or something, or some other geometric pattern on top the Big Cube. I think they should be making it look like it's a part of Epcot, instead of pretending it's not there

eddie104

Wish the BBB looked a little more interesting though... Most the buildings in Future World are based on simple geometric shapes, Spaceship Earth in a Sphere, Imagination is a Pyramid, Test Track is a Cylinder, the top of the Land is kind of a Cone shape, and The Energy Pavilion is a Triangular Wedge... "Big Cube" fits in pretty well with all that, but it really needs a better paint job or something, or some other geometric pattern on top the Big Cube. I think they should be making it look like it's a part of Epcot, instead of pretending it's not there
I agree. :)

jt04

Then we would have people complaining that is not sized to the rest of the FW structures. They choose the best option as usual.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom