News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Incomudro

I'm a little surprised at how excited the reaction is that the paint blends into the sky. There is no way in heck that you're not going to see that box, even if it doesn't stand out. It's not like it's going to disappear, especially considering you'd be seeing it from different angles. It might be one of the better options they had for it, and it's a good paint color, but it's not really a great architectural achievement. I think we're setting the bar a little low here.

What they should have done, is dug a hole down half way - so that the height of the show building did not exceed the height of the surrounding trees.
They could have then clad the above ground portion in the go away panels.

solidyne

Hiding showbuildings is as old as Disneyland. Is the Haunted Mansion's showbuilding "God-awful"? Probably not, because you don't see it. And aive always marveled at that fact.

That's the point here - if Disney is able to effectively hide the showbuilding so it isn't seen, how is that different than the many other showbuildings throughout the parks? And why is it wrong to admire Disney's ability to hide a showbuilding?
Admire, sure. Gush? Not sure. If this box with magic paint ends up being hidden as well as HM's is then I will indeed marvel. (Did ya have to say "marvel"....?)
I'm a little surprised at how excited the reaction is that the paint blends into the sky [...] and it's a good paint color, but it's not really a great architectural achievement. I think we're setting the bar a little low here.
Exactly. The threshold for excitement seems a bit low. That's just me.

lazyboy97o

Take it from someone who's seen it in person.

It's much less visible than a shiny cylinder sitting at ground level.

It's such a huge building that if you did theme it, it'd draw attention away from SSE. You'd have a DHS situation, where the park's main weenie is supplanted in marketing by one built later.

This is an effective solution to the problem they have. Probably the best solution, outside of not building the attraction in the first place.
The shiny cylinder is supposed to be seen. This is a big blue box desperately hoping not to be noticed.

Hoping an issue is not noticed is never an effective design solution and there were plenty of alternatives. Alton Towers has repeatedly shown how good roller coasters can conform to a very restrictive maximum height. The box could have been depressed (yes, it is possible to go sub-grade in central Florida). The building could have been given a simple finish and unique form that follows the pattern language of Future World without being a tarted up box shouting “Look at me!!”

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There’s a difference between updating Energy and bulldozing it for something that doesn’t fit, especially when Energy could have been updated fairly easily (comparatively) and still fit in Epcot. They could have even replaced Ellen with Groot (he’s a natural resource!). Instead now we have something that doesn’t fit at all. It’s akin to them replacing Hall of Presidents with a drop tower based on National Treasure. It doesn’t fit thematically OR scenically.

We can't discount the idea that the track and vehicles were going to start being too expensive to maintain/replace parts for. I've stated it before, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Energy and the Great Movie Ride closed at the same time as both use very similar and complex ride systems.

I'm not saying replacing it with a rollercoaster was the right call, I'm just saying there's other factors we should consider

GlacierGlacier

The shiny cylinder is supposed to be seen. This is a big blue box desperately hoping not to be noticed.

Hoping an issue is not noticed is never an effective design solution and there were plenty of alternatives. Alton Towers has repeatedly shown how good roller coasters can conform to a very restrictive maximum height. The box could have been depressed (yes, it is possible to go sub-grade in central Florida). The building could have been given a simple finish and unique form that follows the pattern language of Future World without being a tarted up box shouting “Look at me!!”

There is a reason almost no ride (with the exception of Transformers, and that was a hold-over from California, and the underground is maintenance) has underground portions in Florida.

Disney has previously brought the "guest level" up instead. Dinosaur, American Adventure, and quite a few others bring guests in on higher floors in order to "shrink" the building. Dinosaur is a great example, as that building is 2, 2&1/2 stories. But there's nothing to see in terms of showbuilding, since you're on the second story already.

The issue with this this solution for this building is that there's 1) no guest area directly connected to it and 2) an already-built future world sitting just above ground level.

Now, say they did want to build their very first subterranean roller coaster and sunk it a story, two stories down. This coaster has a massive footprint - one of the largest pours Disney has done. The removal of the dirt alone would be prohibitively expensive for an already expensive project. Not to mention the thousands of man-hours that would now need to be put in to engineer solutions to all the problems that would arise from the building being built below the water table. Reinforced walls, protection from flooding, pumps to get any water out that may get in - just a nightmare. Maintenance would constantly have to worry about an increased risk of flooding and water damage, alongside the upkeep that normally comes with coaster operation.

Finally, a themed building. This would be unique, as it'd be something that could be seen from half the park. Using "abstract geometry" and "a simple form and finish" may not be enough for a building of this prominence. Even the solution of painting it right now has found that a single color isn't even enough.

Going the themed route would be difficult - you'd have to find something future-worldy enough, but also not anything that would be too crazy while in the World Showcase. You'd also have the issue that the majority of the building is covered by other buildings and shrubbery while in FW. Really, the best views of it are in the parking lot and on the opposite side of the world showcase. So they spend all these resources theming a building when the theming can only be useful from a distance.

I'm certain that this was their best choice - again, outside of not building it at all.

FullSailDan

We’ve accepted the park is changing.

And that’s sadly why we have no desire to return next year. I’ll miss a lot of friends and adopted family but for the first time in eons we’re not visiting Orlando.

This is probably one of the saddest posts I've seen in all the years I've been reading these boards. I know how much love you have/had for WDW. Here's to hoping we find some new leadership in the company soon and renewed commitment to some of the old principals that made the resort so wonderful.

Incomudro

There is a reason almost no ride (with the exception of Transformers, and that was a hold-over from California, and the underground is maintenance) has underground portions in Florida.

Disney has previously brought the "guest level" up instead. Dinosaur, American Adventure, and quite a few others bring guests in on higher floors in order to "shrink" the building. Dinosaur is a great example, as that building is 2, 2&1/2 stories. But there's nothing to see in terms of showbuilding, since you're on the second story already.

The issue with this this solution for this building is that there's 1) no guest area directly connected to it and 2) an already-built future world sitting just above ground level.

Now, say they did want to build their very first subterranean roller coaster and sunk it a story, two stories down. This coaster has a massive footprint - one of the largest pours Disney has done. The removal of the dirt alone would be prohibitively expensive for an already expensive project. Not to mention the thousands of man-hours that would now need to be put in to engineer solutions to all the problems that would arise from the building being built below the water table. Reinforced walls, protection from flooding, pumps to get any water out that may get in - just a nightmare. Maintenance would constantly have to worry about an increased risk of flooding and water damage, alongside the upkeep that normally comes with coaster operation.

Finally, a themed building. This would be unique, as it'd be something that could be seen from half the park. Using "abstract geometry" and "a simple form and finish" may not be enough for a building of this prominence. Even the solution of painting it right now has found that a single color isn't even enough.

Going the themed route would be difficult - you'd have to find something future-worldy enough, but also not anything that would be too crazy while in the World Showcase. You'd also have the issue that the majority of the building is covered by other buildings and shrubbery while in FW. Really, the best views of it are in the parking lot and on the opposite side of the world showcase. So they spend all these resources theming a building when the theming can only be useful from a distance.

I'm certain that this was their best choice - again, outside of not building it at all.

I agree with your post, but two thoughts on this:
1) If Spaceship Earth was not in such close visual proximity to the GotG building, they would have given the building some sort of modern façade.
2) I understand cost, but in days of 'yore if they were going to proceed with this structure, they would have dug down a story.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Energy, Horizons, Imagination and Land all have / had true underground levels.

Missing20K

There are plenty of turnkey solutions for building below the water table. Constructing part of the building below grade would not have been impossible or prohibitive in terms of excavating or engineering. All foundation walls below grade are reinforced. There are countless sump pumps operating around the globe with virtually zero issues.

Make the building less prominent, perhaps?
Like the backside of ToT?
You found the right answer after a bit of searching. ;)

Burying the show building would only have been a matter of will and $$$.

GlacierGlacier

Energy, Horizons, Imagination and Land all have / had true underground levels.
Not on a similar scale, and mostly utility, right?

Also, isn't futureworld's guest area elevated? The Innoventions utilidors sit underneath the guest area.

The slope up from SSE to the center of future world hides it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Aren't they really only used for storage nowadays? I feel like you never hear as much about these Utilidors as you do about the MK ones.

There's also a breakroom down there (I saw it a few times about a decade ago when I was a contractor briefly)...other than that, and delivery bay, there isn't much else down there compared to the MK ones which have a TON of things

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I was wondering what the cylinder was in reference to :rolleyes:
I thought he was referencing WoM/TT:
1544128962636.png

Note the "big, silver cylinder"...

tparris

Aren't they really only used for storage nowadays? I feel like you never hear as much about these Utilidors as you do about the MK ones.
Yeah, with everything that’s been removed from Innoventions lately, they have to have somewhere to put all that stuff.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I was wondering what the cylinder was in reference to :rolleyes:
I'd assume the cylinder was meant to be Test Track/ World of Motion: the giant, unhidden tuna fish can which is right against the edge of World Showcase with shiny metal so it is more even more obvious. My dislike of that building is the main reason I don't mind GotG building because the impact to the park's view lines aren't as bad as Test Tracks even if GotG is worse outside the park.

That being said, I know some people do actually like and admire the World of Motion/Test Track building. Taste is subjective. And on some level I admire that they at least tried to make the building something rather than hiding it. Even if I personally think the final product is ugly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom