News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Reportedly there's been many filmed for further movies and attractions.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Solo and do some digital necromancy for the future (assuming that was what Stan wanted)
Or they could have a body double filmed from the back with Stan's recycled audio playing.

RandySavage

As much as I love to crap on TDO for their clones, I think weirdly almost every problematic sightline from Shanghai is a non-issue. I don't even know if you'll be able to see the show building in the park except from limited nit-picky spots.

It looks ok bang on. You can nearly circumnavigate the show building in Shanghai between the Star Wars experience, the path to Fantasyland and Toy Story Land... in the MK not only can one hardly get above ground level, you really cannot get a sight line of it except more or less straight on to the Dome. Space Mountain and the tree berm both block those off.

I wish you were right, but once that building goes up, we'll see how it dominates. This is the Ratatouille building. Tron's building is twice (maybe 2.5x) its height.
ratatouille-ride-epcot-construction-disney-world-413.jpg

The berm in that area isn't really a raised berm in the Hong Kong or Anaheim sense. Maybe they'll build and plant one around Tron because no trees (save 800-year old california redwoods ) are going to block it from Fantasyland, Storybook Circus, the Contemp or across Seven Seas Lagoon. It's money view from inner Tomorrowland (blocked by the cover) should be better, but even so it's clearly an enormous coaster shed.

Here's hoping I'm wrong on how this thing visually affects the MK.

BrianLo

I wish you were right, but once that building goes up, we'll see how it dominates. This is the Ratatouille building. Tron's building is twice (maybe 2.5x) its height.

The berm in that area isn't really a raised berm in the Hong Kong or Anaheim sense. Maybe they'll build and plant one around Tron because no trees (save 800-year old california redwoods ) are going to block it from Fantasyland, Storybook Circus, the Contemp or across Seven Seas Lagoon. It's money view from inner Tomorrowland (blocked by the cover) should be better, but even so it's clearly an enormous coaster shed.

I see what you mean, but I still picture it being peanuts compared to GoTG or Shanghai... Which begs the question: why is Florida so berm adverse?

Really there is barely two park in Disney’s stable with consistently good sight lines - Animal Kingdom and Hong Kong Disneyland.

tirian

Remember when the world wasn't such a sad place and you could call out lack of taste without it being labeled as "insulting"
Yes, because standards and best practices do exist, even if people want to believe it’s just a matter of opinion.

This giant box is a new low for Disney. Back when the Swan and Dolphin opened, Eisner panicked and asked WDI to build a mountain range or something to hide the view from Epcot. We’ve come to accept the hotels and their oversized architecture, but at one time, the Disney CEO cared that much.

Dunston

Yes, because standards and best practices do exist, even if people want to believe it’s just a matter of opinion.

This giant box is a new low for Disney. Back when the Swan and Dolphin opened, Eisner panicked and asked WDI to build a mountain range or something to hide the view from Epcot. We’ve come to accept the hotels and their oversized architecture, but at one time, the Disney CEO cared that much.
This is why I think Eisner gets a bad rep. Many people, especially Defunctland fans, focus on the end of his tenure as CEO and see only negative effects on the parks. In reality he cared a lot and expanded the parks so much as CEO. Cutting Beastly Kingdom and greenlighting Disney's California Adventure were bad ideas. And while it was a financial disaster, Disneyland Paris is a beautifully designed park.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

How many rides were at MGM opening day? MGM had two rides for the *whole park*. How about AK? Again, two rides (three if you count the train). You act as if this were a new development, but Disney has been operating in this mode since the late 80s. Start small, build up over time.
First off, I'm not acting like anything. I know it's not a new development as I've been complaining about it for a very long time. And just because they've been doing for a long time doesn't make it right. What you are saying still doesn't change the fact that when star wars opens, it will be grossly under capacity. It's time to stop letting Disney off the hook. They have had plenty of time to fix the capacity issues but they choose not to. You might be willing to give them a pass, but I choose to call them out when it's warranted.

TrojanUSC

The one advantage you're not fully taking into account is that there is some difference in the guest areas of MK being at a slightly higher elevation than the actual foundation level (ie the speed ramp in Space Mountain starts at sea level and brings you back up, eventually, to the guest level). It's not much but it does help throughout the park in keeping show buildings disguised. Mansion, Small World and Splash all have this elevation change, along with some clever WDI tricks, to keep the illusion in tact - and it works pretty well.

MrPromey

First off, I'm not acting like anything. I know it's not a new development as I've been complaining about it for a very long time. And just because they've been doing for a long time doesn't make it right. What you are saying still doesn't change the fact that when star wars opens, it will be grossly under capacity. It's time to stop letting Disney off the hook. They have had plenty of time to fix the capacity issues but they choose not to. You might be willing to give them a pass, but I choose to call them out when it's warranted.

Not to mention, the actual attraction run time of those older attractions was much, much longer than what we are seeing replace pre-existing stuff, today.

Marc Davis Fan

Which begs the question: why is Florida so berm adverse?

I don’t think it’s the ground quality (it might require extra foundations, but it’s easily done, e.g., SWGE berm). When WDW was initially being developed, the only berm was DL’s, which was only to keep the real world out (rather than to subdivide lands). Since that was the only purpose conceived of for a berm at the time, WDW was thought not to need them, due to “the blessing of size.” Intra-park “berms” really only developed fully beginning with Disneyland Paris, which was of course after WDW’s first three parks.

That’s my understanding, anyway.

Really there is barely two park in Disney’s stable with consistently good sight lines - Animal Kingdom and Hong Kong Disneyland.

And DisneySea, and Disneyland Paris, IMHO.

celluloid

This is why I think Eosner gets a bad rep. Many people, especially Defunctland fans, focus on the end of his tenure as CEO and see only negative effects on the parks. In reality he cared a lot and expanded the parks so much as CEO. Cutting Beastly Kingdom and greenlighting Disney's California Adventure were bad ideas. And while it was a financial disaster, Disneyland Paris is a beautifully designed park.

This. The man brought us, with Frank the Disney Decade. He cared about entertainment, put his face and rep on it to "own bold moves" and took to Imagineering quickly when he glhumbled himself to the theme park bis.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is why I think Eosner gets a bad rep. Many people, especially Defunctland fans, focus on the end of his tenure as CEO and see only negative effects on the parks. In reality he cared a lot and expanded the parks so much as CEO. Cutting Beastly Kingdom and greenlighting Disney's California Adventure were bad ideas. And while it was a financial disaster, Disneyland Paris is a beautifully designed park.
Eisner gets a bad wrap due to his last decade. His first was a partnership made in heaven with Frank Wells.

Movielover

the CEO wasn't a moron that didn't care about the beauty of theme park design

Don't forget that Eisner also approved this...

1542109069539.png

and this...

1542109123615.png

Eisner had some great ideas and literally saved the company but then it all went down hill.

But I'll wait for the inevitable spin that you pull out of your rear to try and explain how none of this was Eisner's fault and is somehow linked to Iger. I'll wait

RSoxNo1

I wouldn’t call it a great new ride. But others probably will.
Pretty sure @marni1971 already knows that the final product will be, hence forth his commentary.
It won’t be intense. But I wouldn’t presume to call my opinion fact (not that I’m accusing anyone of this :) )
No offense to Martin, but there is a bias here. It's not exclusive to him, but there is a bias in this pre-opening opinion. Having said that, he probably knows more about the attraction than anyone posting in this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom