News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

FigmentJedi

On AliciaStella's youtube channel they were discussing the possibility that maybe on the GOTG ride we'll be back in the 80's and going though some of the ride scenes from Horizons, World of Motion, etc. before going on the rest of the coaster. I seriously doubt it, but fans heads would explode if that happened.

Something else I found out recently....the person who was making the Horizons: Resurrected CGI remake a few years ago, Chris Wallace, is followed by THE Kevin Feige on twitter. Kevin Feige is only following ~700 people and has over 300,000 followers, and he follows some other Epcot historical twitter accounts.
Imagineer Tom K Morris has also mentioned Kevin Feige's a Figment fan.

RSoxNo1

Imagineer Tom K Morris has also mentioned Kevin Feige's a Figment fan.
Feige is a big fan of classic Epcot. I believe back at the 2011 D23 Expo he was sitting in the front row of a Tony Baxter panel wearing an EPCOT Center hat.

Seen here at Comic Con with the same hat.
BPsQE_-CAAAZjVs.png

JJJ

Feige is a big fan of classic Epcot. I believe back at the 2011 D23 Expo he was sitting in the front row of a Tony Baxter panel wearing an EPCOT Center hat.

Seen here at Comic Con with the same hat.
BPsQE_-CAAAZjVs.png
And here's a quote from him about the attraction:
" Feige: I love Epcot. It was my favorite park when I was a kid. At the time it was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Disney's Hollywood Studios, then Disney-MGM Studios, opened in '89, when I was 16. And I also loved that because it was all about movies and, even then, I knew I wanted to make movies. But Epcot and the notion of the future and the promise of the future and the promise of a global community ... I bought into it hook, line, and sinker. I was inspired by it. I still listen to the music from those old attractions. And I am the kind of person who is inspired by well-told stories and inspired by well-told, well-scored messages. And Epcot did that in an amazing way, for me.

Now, the notion that one of our movies is going to be a part of that -- and yes, provide a big, fun, Marvel Studios-type adventure -- but still stay true to what Epcot Center is all about, is pretty awesome."
- https://www.moviefone.com/2018/04/23/kevin-feige-avengers-infinity-war-black-panther-marvel/

Nothing new about the attraction, but it definitely seems that he's a fan of EPCOT Center, so maybe there's hope that the attraction will fit in.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Brace yourself for Tron, because that plain box is going to downgrade a lot of sightlines within and outside the MK.

I have hope that due to it's location, the 'berm' effects much of the backside of MK has, and the entrance portion that it should be pretty hidden. I assume the train will be bad, but trees can mask most of that. The MK doesn't have the clear ground level vistas like EPCOT has.

lazyboy97o

I have hope that due to it's location, the 'berm' effects much of the backside of MK has, and the entrance portion that it should be pretty hidden. I assume the train will be bad, but trees can mask most of that. The MK doesn't have the clear ground level vistas like EPCOT has.
The Magic Kingdom doesn’t really have much in the way of a berm beyond the front of the park. The trains go uphill from Storybook Circus to Main Street Station.

OG Runner

Yeah, Mike asked me that a few pages ago.
In summary I love the marvel rides at Uni especially Spidee, it’s just the surrounding areas around the attractions feel cheap and six flagsish to me.

I don't think anywhere has the cheap feeling of Six Flags. Their theming consists of paint. Paint a coaster purple and it is a Joker coaster,
red & blue and it is a Superman coaster. The Spiderman, including the queue into the ride is leaps and bounds beyond that.

Kman101

Yeah, Mike asked me that a few pages ago.
In summary I love the marvel rides at Uni especially Spidee, it’s just the surrounding areas around the attractions feel cheap and six flagsish to me.

They do. But we're supposed to cheer because it's based on "the comics". No, it's flat and not very appealing. But at least the main dark ride is fantastic! lol

It's time for a Marvel Super Hero Island facade overhaul (maybe it's just preference; if someone loves it good on ya, but I think it's time for a change). It'd work (the area; I love Spider-Man) a lot better for DC than it did for Marvel.

jt04

They do. But we're supposed to cheer because it's based on "the comics". No, it's flat and not very appealing. But at least the main dark ride is fantastic! lol

It's time for a Marvel Super Hero Island facade overhaul (maybe it's just preference; if someone loves it good on ya, but I think it's time for a change). It'd work (the area; I love Spider-Man) a lot better for DC than it did for Marvel.

I think they need a green light from the mouse to make big changes. Which is why there haven't been any.

Missing20K

Some interesting possibilities here:
https://fabritecture.com/fabric-structures/portfolio/
Also, I'm still holding out hope for the kinetic adornments I'd posted about a while ago.

Even if that sort of span made sense, there would still be some sort of structure. You’re not likely to bolt such a structure to insulated metal panels.

Those types of products can create large wind loads (think a sail attached to a building) which would require adequate structural support. If they did, one would expect to see some sort of outriggers or framing to pick up the anchor points for any applied theming, fabric or otherwise. The only structure that appears to be "outside" of the box is the area that attaches to the launch tunnel. Maybe some theming goes there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Magic Kingdom doesn’t really have much in the way of a berm beyond the front of the park. The trains go uphill from Storybook Circus to Main Street Station.

Not a physical berm... why I said "effect". And what I meant by that was not a clear view from the ground to beyond. Most of the backdrop is covered by structures taller than the guests and relatively close to them. Giving a "berm effect" limiting their vistas.

Obviously the speedway is the big exception to that and will be the worst most likely for this build. But the damn thing should have been yanked anyway :)

OG Runner

Yes but trees grow. I was expecting maybe a blue gray green. Even if you factor in atmospheric coloring it wouldn't immediately step to sky blue.

Honestly, this is worth about the same amount of discussion that was had in reference to the gondolas having or not
having air conditioning. Yes, Disney does attempt to make sightlines pleasing, but when all is said and done, when
you are riding this roller coaster, you are not going to be thinking, but how well can I see the building from the Japan
pavilion?

lazyboy97o

Honestly, this is worth about the same amount of discussion that was had in reference to the gondolas having or not
having air conditioning. Yes, Disney does attempt to make sightlines pleasing, but when all is said and done, when
you are riding this roller coaster, you are not going to be thinking, but how well can I see the building from the Japan
pavilion?
Again, theme parks are more than just a collection of attractions.

Bocabear

ZThere is no way any landscape will ever hide that building...not in our lifetimes Building a facade and set around it wouls probably work better, but honestly I don't think they care about the sightlines abymore... It seems like all park decisions are made my Six Flags executives... and graduates of the school of the school of "Nobody Cares"...

OG Runner

Again, theme parks are more than just a collection of attractions.

I do agree, but they are also a collection of attractions, and atmosphere. I just don't think see this building is going to ruin
anyone's experience, anymore than seeing Cinderella's Castle from Splash Mountain ruins your time in Frontierland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom