News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Maeryk

To play devils advocate, 'Ms. Ellen's Wild Energy Ride' was (in my opinion) incredibly weak. Im not talking Superstar Limo bad, but more along the lines of the kind of feeling you get when you walk through Dinorama. My question is: why do people care that it is gone? Maybe Im not getting it. I just don't see how people can get worked over Ellen, when the real murder was The Great Movie Ride. Now, that, that I can sob over for months that i'll have enough tears to fill a bucket.

Nostalgia, and 45 minutes of (albeit loud) air conditioning.

JJJ

Nostalgia, and 45 minutes of (albeit loud) air conditioning.
Yes! Plus, this pavilion seems to mean a lot to the EPCOT center fans. The original preshow was really cool with these rotating cubes. Now that it's being replaced with something that is the antithesis to the message and themes of EPCOT center, some people are a little bummed out.
Personally, I've only seen the Ellen version of the ride, but actually enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of both Ellen and Bill Nye and the topic was pretty interesting. I probably have more nostalgia for this attraction than GMR.

Also, insiders still to be significantly more excited for GMR's replacement than the guardians ride.

Honestly, I'm just excited we're getting new stuff.

OSX

Yes! Plus, this pavilion seems to mean a lot to the EPCOT center fans. The original preshow was really cool with these rotating cubes. Now that it's being replaced with something that is the antithesis to the message and themes of EPCOT center, some people are a little bummed out.
Personally, I've only seen the Ellen version of the ride, but actually enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of both Ellen and Bill Nye and the topic was pretty interesting. I probably have more nostalgia for this attraction than GMR.

Also, insiders still to be significantly more excited for GMR's replacement than the guardians ride.

I miss GMR so h*ck'n much.

Maeryk

Well, I'm way more excited for the GotG ride, personally. I thought Energy was past it's prime about 20 years ago, and realize that of all the parks, Epcot was the one that was supposed to keep growing and moving forward. But remember.. the people who gripe about how bad a ride are, are often the ones who instantly go on rants about how awful Disney management is when they inevitably get closed. You'd think Horizons gave you a solid gold bar when you got off, and had figured out cold fusion, to hear people talk about it. But it was just a somewhat hokey ride with sponsor names plastered all over it.

Maeryk

Im thinking it'll be more along the lines of Seven Dwarfs 70 Minute Wait Ride.

I think it's going to do all of the above, and then some.

I can't see them just retreading 7dMT or the competitors product, and I think it will be less thrill and more immersion.

But we will see. Even their most adventurous coasters are tame by current standards.

That said... Watch us get a Boomerang with a rotating car.

Absimilliard

Building a completely new ride system (the centrifuges for M:S) is a bit different from having Vekoma build you a coaster. They have been doing it since 1926 and also built RnRC, 7dmt, barnstormer, and (sorta) the others as well, as they absorbed Arrow.

They know what the are doing. Having looked at the patent, it's a controlled, motorized swivel on the car, so not like Primeval Whirl which is just a spinning wild mouse that just turns based on inertia.

Correction: Vekoma first roller coaster was in 1979 and, no, they did not absorb Arrow. Arrow went bankrupt in 2001-2002 and S&S purchased the assets. S&S was then bought by Sansei-Yusoki from Japan and while Sansei bought Vekoma this year, they are not merging both companies. Vekoma is doing their thing and S&S as well.

For Disney, Vekoma did the following:

- Big Thunder Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, Phantom Manor, Casey Jr., Space Mountain: De la Terre a la Lune and Rock n Roller Coaster at Disneyland Paris. They also supplied a new loop for Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril.

- Gadget Go-Coaster at Disneyland. Helped rebuild both Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain.

- Seven Dwarves Mine Train and TRON Lightcycle Power Run at Shanghai Disneyland.

- Space Mountain and Big Grizzly Mountain Mine Cars at Hong Kong Disneyland.

- Tokyo Disneyland is an odd case. Gadget Go-Coaster is technically a Junior Coaster 207 meters that is mirrored... But due to Japanese regulations and OLC contract, that coaster was sold and modified by Meisho.

- At WDW, Barnstormer, Rock n Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, Seven Dwarves Mine Train and coming soon, TRON Lightcycle Power Run and Guardians of the Galaxy.

As you can see, Vekoma is a critical partner of Walt Disney Imagineering and their work has all been solid.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And for some reason it’s going to take them another 3 years to build...

A total guess on my part, but it seems wise to have an E-Ticket open up in 2020 (Rat) and another open 2021 (GotG) rather than both open in 2020 and have no big draw in Epcot for 2021. GotG can then be touted as being for MK's 50th and Epcot's 40th anniversaries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom