News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

Too bad there aren't monorails running through them, or views of iconic structures or world renowned attractions from the balconies.

Not trying to be harsh, but you get what you pay for. Disney obviously can charge as much as they are for rooms because more than enough people are still paying for them. And honestly Disney's Deluxe Resorts in my opinion are better than Universals equivalent, both are pretty, but Disney Deluxes have better views of the parks and fireworks (or AKL savannahs). And they have much better transportation options. (The monorail albeit sometimes beatup and worn, is such a iconic and classy way to transport your butt to a park from your own hotel.)

Bus service is actually top notch at the Universal resorts. It's not always about the pretty transportation options, as nice as those are. Last year was the first time I used it from a Universal resort and was very impressed.

We're talking about values and you are talking about deluxes though ... comparing deluxe resorts at Uni and WDW is very different. Universal is actually adding a value resort with correct pricing.

Bairstow

Too bad there aren't monorails running through them, or views of iconic structures or world renowned attractions from the balconies.

Not trying to be harsh, but you get what you pay for. Disney obviously can charge as much as they are for rooms because more than enough people are still paying for them. And honestly Disney's Deluxe Resorts in my opinion are better than Universals equivalent, both are pretty, but Disney Deluxes have better views of the parks and fireworks (or AKL savannahs). And they have much better transportation options. (The monorail albeit sometimes beatup and worn, is such a iconic and classy way to transport your butt to a park from your own hotel.)
And that's why Universal has taken the step of bundling its premium line-jumping service with stays in its nicer resorts. Should Disney ever have any problems reaching capacity in some of their resorts I could see their using added FastPassPlus allotments as an incentive.

Also, for what it's worth I found Universal's Royal Pacific to be objectivity "nicer" than the Polynesian, though subjectivity I wasn't as enchanted by the theme and had no nostalgia for the place.

Kman101

Cabana Bay was a great moderate (in terms of pricing I consider it a moderate). Shows you can stick to a theme but not have it be a sterile hospital room. But it's not really a competition for me, I think Universal and Disney both have some great resorts.

But I guess we should get back to talking about Guardians violating Epcot.

Casper Gutman

To no ones surprise, I strongly disagree. Most of the views at Portofino are superior to those at the GF, unless a glimpse of a very distant castle sets your heart aflutter. The harbor and public spaces at Port are also vastly more scenic then there WDW counterparts. What’s more, Unis canals are far more pleasant than an overcrowded monorail featuring a horse stable aroma and suffering from an advanced and dangerous state of disrepair. Plus, I feel the service and upkeep at Uni is much better - the last time I walked though the GF lobby, I saw a chunk fall out of one of the walls. Considering GF costs about three times as much...

Indy_UK

This new endless summer resort looks incredible for the prices they are offering. Even comparing when I stayed at Cabana Bay it makes the Disney value resorts like a motel 6, they're bad.

And while I prefer Disney parks to Universal parks any day of the week, I respect universal for going bold and I do think it will pay off financially for them (maybe not hugely on market share)

Disney are seriously out pricing people. Why stay at Disney when I can stay in a endless summer family suite for FAR less than Disney charge and just uber over to Disney on the days I want to.

EricsBiscuit

And that's why Universal has taken the step of bundling its premium line-jumping service with stays in its nicer resorts. Should Disney ever have any problems reaching capacity in some of their resorts I could see their using added FastPassPlus allotments as an incentive.

Also, for what it's worth I found Universal's Royal Pacific to be objectivity "nicer" than the Polynesian, though subjectivity I wasn't as enchanted by the theme and had no nostalgia for the place.
For me RP is very nice and elegant. It's a great balance of theme and elegance. I prefer Poly any day of the week though.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Despite the fact that the hotels themselves are not worth the price they charge (when just taking the hotel itself compared to others) the location on many can't be beat. Monorail access to MK, or walking distance to Epcot/DHS, or the Savannah views of AKL are all big enough 'value adds' to make it worth it for me.

RobotWolf

If it wasn't such an unfortunate IP choice, I would applaud a decision to place a coaster in that location. That side of Futureworld would be almost coming together with a "physics" theme.

And while digital, Epcot (Center) had very popular roller coaster attraction in the Communicore back in the early days. As a kid, I always thought it was unfortunate that one could not actually ride the coaster they let you design.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To no ones surprise, I strongly disagree. Most of the views at Portofino are superior to those at the GF, unless a glimpse of a very distant castle sets your heart aflutter. The harbor and public spaces at Port are also vastly more scenic then there WDW counterparts. What’s more, Unis canals are far more pleasant than an overcrowded monorail featuring a horse stable aroma and suffering from an advanced and dangerous state of disrepair. Plus, I feel the service and upkeep at Uni is much better - the last time I walked though the GF lobby, I saw a chunk fall out of one of the walls. Considering GF costs about three times as much...

But, But, But it's MAGICal pixie dust infused falling debris at the GF...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
May I ask why? I find Poly the most outdated Disney deluxe resort, and recent changes have made it significantly less appealing. No to mention, RP costs about a third as much.

Yes, The 70's are calling and Holiday Inn wants their rooms back... We will not mention the destruction of the iconic water feature and it's replacement by 'Tiki Shrug'

Casper Gutman

Overpriced doesn't mean it's a bad resort. RP is nice but it has some basic, lackluster areas. The pricing matches the resort, so that's a novel concept.
This is a big point. If RP and Poly were the same price, it would be a toss up, but I do love Unis canals.

I actually wish Poly leaned much harder into the 50s tiki tacky theming - it always felt like a kind of proto-resort, before WDW got comfortable with full-on theming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom