News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MaximumEd

That's well known. It's also a quick fix, panic reaction in a desperate attempt to boost attendance as opposed to doing the right thing.

In five years the area known as Futureworld could be a shell of its former self. Literally. We're on the cusp of possible irreparable physical damage being done to the park.

Like a few other things if it happens you'll know what I mean. If it doesn't I'll tell you about it sometime.

The main problem is that it's already a shell of its former self. Wish they would do the right thing. I just don't see the original FW concepts as dead. It just needs a new look and today's tech. It does not need to be Retro 82 IP Center. They have other parks for that crap.

EricsBiscuit

That's well known. It's also a quick fix, panic reaction in a desperate attempt to boost attendance as opposed to doing the right thing.

In five years the area known as Futureworld could be a shell of its former self. Literally. We're on the cusp of possible irreparable physical damage being done to the park.

Like a few other things if it happens you'll know what I mean. If it doesn't I'll tell you about it sometime.
I have a funny feeling you're talking about replacing SSE with a roller coaster. If they do that, I'll never visit Epcot again.

Kman101

And unfortunately, the mass public will eat it up and not care one bit so it works in their favor. It is a shame because I truly believe they'd still enjoy a ride that doesn't have an IP attached to it.

Kman101

I have a funny feeling you're talking about replacing SSE with a roller coaster. If they do that, I'll never visit Epcot again.

Depending on what they do with SSE, that could be my tipping point as well. Because as of right now, I'm not too upset over the things they're doing (Guardians is in the wrong place no doubt though) but clearly they are doing more damage than we've been told. Guess we'll see.

the.dreamfinder

Both Guardian movies out grossed every Pirates movie except for Dead Man's Chest domestically, Also when comparing the 2 latest in the franchise, Guardian's Vol. 2 to Dead Man Tell No Tales you can clearly see which series is being loved by audiences. Overseas is a little trickier due to several factors, one of which is that the humor present in Guardians does not translate well into other languages.

Plus the Guardians are nowhere near being done as they will appear in the upcoming Avenger's films and a third film in their franchise. Meanwhile it's looking like certain that the Pirates franchise is dead.

Sources: Box Office Mojo
Are you accounting for inflation?
Because
Pirates 1:$450,268,700
Pirates 2:$574,546,200
Pirates 3:$399,818,000
Pirates 4:$266,055,600
Pirates 5:$170,872,400

Guardians Vol 1:$366,068,600
Guardians Vol 2:$386,774,900

trainplane3

To me, this sounds like Project Gemini is fighting to come back. Make everything into a thrill ride. Is that where some of these ideas are being pulled from?

And on SSE being coaster-ized. Can someone remind them it'll cost big $$$ to reinforce the structure to handle the forces from a coaster? You know, get that idea shot down nice and quick? Unless there's a more extreme plan for SSE...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To me, this sounds like Project Gemini is fighting to come back. Make everything into a thrill ride. Is that where some of these ideas are being pulled from?
There's more that's proposed demolition-wise than just Innoventions. I can't say more for now but that's what I mean about irreparable damage.

And that's without the whole IP / theme / story / dumb down argument.

trainplane3

There's more that's proposed demolition-wise than just Innoventions. I can't say more for now but that's what I mean about irreparable damage.

tenor.gif

Tavernacle12

That's kinda terrifying, considering beyond Innoventions nearly everything in Future World houses a ride.

JBIRDTO

This is interesting. From what I have read from Marni1971 most of the large existing pavilions are due for some sort of update or refurb in the next several years. looking at the map it is hard to picture what other demolition could happen in FW. Unless of course those other pavilion plans are very fluid.

hpyhnt 1000

The only thing I could think of that would really be irreparable in terms of demolition would be SSE. With Siemens declining to renew its sponsorship, I wouldn't be surprised if it's now on the radar for a reimagining of that "more timeless, more Disney" nonsense. A lengthy dark ride experience filled with expensive animatronics, detailed sets, and aging infrastructure? Sound like any other rides we've recently lost?

Not to mention WDI has thought about this kind of scenario before; those Time Racers plans from Project Gemini are sitting on a shelf somewhere...

trainplane3

Imagination? WoL?
Hmm which pavilion will it be... I feel like I'm playing Future World Roulette.
Going take some guesses too:
- Odyssey
- Magic eye theater
- The two stores that sit under SSE
- Project Tomorrow/ending area for SSE

What's been assumed based off the concept art/other statements:
- All of Innoventions, but this was reduced down to "just half" as said by @marni1971 in another Epcot thread (as it stands, can still change though)
- WoL still lives on as festival space
- FoN gone
- Entrance overhaul/rocks are dead

Jenny72

Of the people who make these decisions, are there people who argue to maintain the older feel of Epcot, its uniqueness? I assume the management people are aware that some fans are against some of these changes, but are there people in the upper levels who also feel the same way? If that's something an "insider" can answer? :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Of the people who make these decisions, are there people who argue to maintain the older feel of Epcot, its uniqueness? I assume the management people are aware that some fans are against some of these changes, but are there people in the upper levels who also feel the same way? If that's something an "insider" can answer? :)
Yes, there are still fans of EPCOT Center within the decision making process.

EPICOT

Going take some guesses too:
- Odyssey
- Magic eye theater
- The two stores that sit under SSE
- Project Tomorrow/ending area for SSE

What's been assumed based off the concept art/other statements:
- All of Innoventions, but this was reduced down to "just half" as said by @marni1971 in another Epcot thread (as it stands, can still change though)
- WoL still lives on as festival space
- FoN gone
- Entrance overhaul/rocks are dead

None of those suggestions would fall into the "irreparable damage" category IMO. I'm thinking more like:

-Imagination pavilion torn down and replaced
-SSE gutted
-LwtL gutted
-Even worse rework of the Seas

TT, M:S, Soarin, and new Gaurdians are all safe so these seem like the only options.

Kman101

From Martin's past posts, it didn't seem like any updates to LwTL and The Seas would be more than minimal. But plans could always change I suppose.

Test Track becoming CARS, SSE getting a gut job would be destructive ... I know some think leveling Innoventions buildings is on the same level but for me it's not make or break. So we'll just have to see what they do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom