News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

trainplane3

I'm sure this isn't new but wow:

download-57.jpeg

Patent-1024x576.jpeg
And in case anyone's curious what layout they're testing the train on, it's a type of Vekoma family boomerang layout.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I suppose not but a 150ft hill usually means about 60-65mph give or take. That's not exactly fast and we don't know if we're going to the highest point right after the launch either

65 not fast?

That would make it the fastest coaster in wdw... and nearly 2x faster than space mountain and btmrr.

I'm curious to see what they come up with... and those huge ride vehicles infer lower speeds... but your frame of reference is way off.

rickdrat

So I was poking around on the Google Maps today and noticed they've opened what appears to be a rather large hole (600 sq, ft) in the roof of the Energy Building. Anybody know what this might be for? Cant imagine it's for ride access since the whole back of the building was ripped out.

Edit: So I'm not so sure on the timeliness of this imagery. The timestamps on Google Earth don't make it clear, but it looks like the opening could be a year old or so, and looking at some aerials from Bioreconstuct it's been closed up for some time. Nevertheless, any thoughts on why they opened it up?

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So I was poking around on the Google Maps today and noticed they've opened what appears to be a rather large hole (600 sq, ft) in the roof of the Energy Building. Anybody know what this might be for? Cant imagine it's for ride access since the whole back of the building was ripped out.

Edit: So I'm not so sure on the timeliness of this imagery. The timestamps on Google Earth don't make it clear, but it looks like the opening could be a year old or so, and looking at some aerials from Bioreconstuct it's been closed up for some time. Nevertheless, any thoughts on why they opened it up?

View attachment 402726
Maybe it's one of those "natural convection" holes borrowed from the Skyliner gondola design...

tparris

View attachment 402726
That was the old central roof access of Energy. There was a structure in Energy that aligns with that hole that you could see for a while, before they tore it down. I think it was the last remnant of Energy to be demolished. That was around the same time that they put scaffolding at the front for roof access. You can see it in this older picture (red circle)
7DEFDFFC-ADB6-4DC0-8FAB-1B0ED4604CCA.jpeg

rickdrat

That was the old central roof access of Energy. There was a structure in Energy that aligns with that hole that you could see for a while, before they tore it down. I think it was the last remnant of Energy to be demolished. That was around the same time that they put scaffolding at the front for roof access. You can see it in this older picture (red circle)
View attachment 402772
Yeah. I'd seen the access hatch in earlier photos. Perhaps they had to move that structure to accommodate the load area and needed to reinforce the roof?

wdwtopten

65 not fast?

That would make it the fastest coaster in wdw... and nearly 2x faster than space mountain and btmrr.

I'm curious to see what they come up with... and those huge ride vehicles infer lower speeds... but your frame of reference is way off.

Doesn't RnR launch 0-60mph?

Last edited:

MiddKid

Attractions like Superman go backwards at high speed... but at freefall acceleration... not launch.

Ummm, they actually run Superman's 100MPH launch backwards from a dead stop...

Nothing like the big launch tunnel and climb seen in guardians. Unless the gimmick is only used in small scale like your fire chaser example. I immediately was drawn to the main launch... but maybe that’s traditional

Not only the 100MPH Superman example above but there are a number of aggressive rides with backwards launches. Mentioned a few posts back were the Intamin Impulse coasters. A model like Wicked Twister hits 72MPH with a backwards launch and a 90degree vertical direction change. The Premier Rides Skyrocket models (e.g. Tigris in Tampa) have a nice backwards launch at 60+MPH.

Now granted, those last two examples are not from a complete stop. So I'll also throw out Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast at SF St. Louis. 0-70MPH backwards immediately up into a vertical climb/horseshoe element.

Fast/aggressive backwards launches have been seen numerous times before.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ummm, they actually run Superman's 100MPH launch backwards from a dead stop...

Thx for that. I had missed that they reworked it for backwards facing seats.

Now granted, those last two examples are not from a complete stop. So I'll also throw out Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast at SF St. Louis. 0-70MPH backwards immediately up into a vertical climb/horseshoe element.

Fast/aggressive backwards launches have been seen numerous times before.

Cool, another conversion to rear facing cars :) Thx for the examples. To clarify, I didn't say it can't be done.. just pointing out that is more agressive than a forward launch at the same speed which limits you. I had not seen those two hyperspeed examples, so thanks for pointing out some that have already done those kinds of speeds.

I'm still curious to see if Disney were to do it on their main launch... I would think examples like Tigris and Mr Freeze would be far more thrill level than Disney would normally target. But I guess we get to wait and see :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom