News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Brer Oswald

Yes, because licensing rights are fragmented to differing monetized streams. The contract with Universal is limited to theme park attractions. If it wasn't, then Fox/Disney couldn't make movies with the X-Men. Merch is a different license.
What I find the most strange is the whole Mississippi River thing. Was it cheaper that way? Why was the Mississippi River used as the dividing point? Why didn’t they want Marvel our in California but needed it as an anchor in Florida?

pdude81

What I find the most strange is the whole Mississippi River thing. Was it cheaper that way? Why was the Mississippi River used as the dividing point? Why didn’t they want Marvel our in California but needed it as an anchor in Florida?
I thought it was because they built IoA in Florida but never built the Marvel stuff out west. Since they never used the characters they lost the rights out there.

T.Will

The Mississippi River has historically been a dividing marker between the East and West of the US. As for why they agreed to that, I think Universal was more about getting the Marvel license away from WDW. Obviously, nobody expected the '09 purchase, so the deal seemed foolproof.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Your target audience is people within driving distance or cheap airline. So, for Orlando, that's EotM. Universal had the option to put a Marvel land on the West Coast and in all international parks, but they didn't and the time allotted for it has expired. So, no competing theme park Marvel attractions "near" Orlando. And no Marvel marketing for that Marvel land nationally.

T.Will

Your target audience is people within driving distance or cheap airline. So, for Orlando, that's EotM. Universal had the option to put a Marvel land on the West Coast and in all international parks, but they didn't and the time allotted for it has expired. So, no competing theme park Marvel attractions "near" Orlando. And no Marvel marketing for that Marvel land nationally.
Thanks for clarifying.

lazyboy97o

It’s explained in the contract. Universal initially had global theme park rights to Marvel but did not meet the requirements to maintain those rights by building additional Marvel lands.

FettFan

Guys. I've decided to build my own version of Epcot Center that will be true to the original's mission statement about celebrating human culture, community, and technology. I'm even going to have a Switzerland Pavilion with an alpine mountain coaster that is in no way infringing upon Disney's Matterhorn Bobsleds(tm) .

I just need 300 acres and about $2.5 Billion USD.

Anyone want to chip in? Every little bit helps.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Guys. I've decided to build my own version of Epcot Center that will be true to the original's mission statement about celebrating human culture, community, and technology. I'm even going to have a Switzerland Pavilion with an alpine mountain coaster that is in no way infringing upon Disney's Matterhorn Bobsleds(tm) .

I ju
st need 300 acres and about $2.5 Billion USD.

Anyone want to chip in? Every little bit helps.

You really think I am going to give you $2.5 billion of my hard earned money so you can build the perfect Epcot, only to replace all the attractions with ill-fitting IP's a couple years later?! :mad:

FettFan

You really think I am going to give you $2.5 billion of my hard earned money so you can build the perfect Epcot, only to replace all the attractions with ill-fitting IP's a couple years later?! :mad:

That's the good news; by the time I open my Perfect Epcot, Disney will own literally ALL of the IP, so they will be effectively off the table.

But.... i might be able to finagle an Asterix and Obelix character meet in my France Pavilion. :D
images

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom