News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

mr.flibble

and having been to Warner Bros Movie World in Australia they do a bit more with the DC characters than Six Flags. There are still big lightly themed rollercoasters, but also an excellent Justice League shooting ride (similar to Men in Black at Uni). Yes their use of the characters isn't as immersive as Islands of Adventure, but it was better than Six Flags Magic Mountain.

The Superman Escapes coaster does have a cool "dark ride" beginning that sets up the story and subsequent launch and coaster perfectly. The coaster portion may not themed but the overall attraction does try a level of immersion that you don't necessarily get at a six flags. I may also be slightly biased as it is one of my favourite coasters.

Missing20K

Well obviously EPCOT's destruction would be less without Iger barfing his Marvel over a FW original. But that's still just one nail in the coffin. RAT is a disaster for WS, the flagship of a WS being bibbety boppity boo'ed into Fantasyland 2. The replacement of Illuminations by a Disney Sing-a-long video is still too bitter to contemplate. Its last showings feel like a funeral rite for EPCOT.
Also, an essential element of the beauty of FW is its rigid symmetry. One simply can not tear down one half of the CommuniCore buildings.

Positive are reducing the Food&Swine festival, plus the two restoration projects of greenery and a prism at the entrance and a Harvest Theater movie. A C-ticket movie, but one that remarkably is kinda sorta fitting, if you squint your eyes. The new restaurant spree I'm a bit on the fence about although I can't really explain why.

Still expecting to be rich and famous one day even though I'm in my forties, I have some positive hope for the SSE deconstruction and the surprise big box between FW and WS near Imagination.
I agree with everything except this. The ride, while not the jaw dropping E-ticket the DIS board and shareholders believe/want it to be, it's a solid high C/low D ticket that will help eat crowds and is not a replacement. If the exterior spaces are done as well as DLP, I think it will be a pleasant, albeit not outstanding, addition to WS. Does it compromise the ideals of WS? Sure, a bit. Would it have been a better fit for DHS? Absolutely. But all things considered I don't think it will be a "disaster" though I respect everyone to form their own opinion.
Still expecting to be rich and famous one day even though I'm in my forties, I have some positive hope for the SSE deconstruction and the surprise big box between FW and WS near Imagination.
I can start seeing 40 on the horizon and I have Robin Leach on speed dial.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

The Superman Escapes coaster does have a cool "dark ride" beginning that sets up the story and subsequent launch and coaster perfectly. The coaster portion may not themed but the overall attraction does try a level of immersion that you don't necessarily get at a six flags. I may also be slightly biased as it is one of my favourite coasters.

Yes, I sort of forgot about the great opening part to Superman, it reminded me a lot of Earthquake at Uni.

matt9112

For DCA the obvious story is that because the kind-of-villainous alien The Collector has come to Earth and built a new museum in California, The Avengers have built a new West Coast HQ nearby to keep an eye on him, at that facility Peter Parker and Tony Stark are designing new Web Tech and run a training scenario (Spider-Man D-Ticket), Avengers West Coast HQ then gets attacked by another villain (Avengers E-Ticket). That makes perfect sense to me.

Personally as a lifelong comic book and theme park fan I have been waiting for new great superhero rides for a long time, there is no theme park commercial as iconic for me as the Islands of Adventure one with Spidey and Doc Ock battling on the wing of the plane, so I say bring it on, I want Universal to put a new Marvel ride in the Toon Lagoon theater space, I want Disney to put great unique MCU rides in every park, I want the DC characters to be treated better than Six Flags treats them.

So yeah, consider me a minority I guess but of all the things that we know are coming to WDW for the 50th nothing has me as excited as The Guardians Coaster.

lets just hope your a minority.

Haymarket2008

Baxter loves IP. I think because he doesn't excell in telling a story. Thunder works, beautifully so, but the whole story only became clear after decades. He found no good way of telling it on the ride (arguably intuitively the rider understood nevertheless, which is even better). At Imagination he used original characters, with not even an established physical universe to draw from as with Thunder, so he felt he needed to open with their introduction, the rather static 'origin movie' first three minutes Splash' does use IP, so now again Baxter doesn't explain anything, and the attraction story is exceedingly difficult to figure out. The only times he truly succeeded in telling a ride's story in an efficient way are indeed with Indy and Star Wars - drawing on well defined characters and universes.

Wowow I couldn't disagree with this more. He can bring more story out of an attraction, like Thunder, that has no blatant "plot" than most of the attractions of the last 20 years. The structure of his attractions is first rate.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
Three days ago I took this photo in Italy using a 2x zoom taken on my iPhone X. GotG really is a large silhouette. I thought all the pics I’ve seen here and elsewhere were taken by telephoto lenses on high magnification.

Rodan75

Six Flags is not about to let the DC rights go. They never missed a penny when they were in bankruptcy and now that they are profitable they don't have to worry. Additionally, Universal can't buy Six Flags to get the rights because if either Universal or Disney purchased Six Flags the rights go back to WB. Any other company can buy Six Flags and get the rights but WB wanted to make sure neither Universal nor Disney could ever get these rights.

Six Flags is a small snack for AT&T if they wanted. I would imagine that Disney and Comcast are showing it is better to own resorts rather than license the IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom