News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

montyz81

Where else in Epcot (outside of Spaceship Earth) is Epcot's original theme still present?
Why should a new attraction echo a theme that was abandoned long ago?
Themes of optimism and futurism and especially innovative technology go stale just as quickly - perhaps even more so - than pop culture themes.
Hmm. Talk about a pessimistic view of progress! sheesh!

Incomudro

Then what is the direction? People constantly say the old one is dead and to get over it, but seem to be unable to articulate it’s replacement.

I don't know what the direction is, and I don't know if WDW can really tell us - I only know what I see.
Some vague, futurish, teckish, thing.
It clearly isn't what it was and they quite clearly don't intend to give us major rides harkening back to the way things were.

Missing20K

I believe they've decided the direction of Future World was no longer its original concept when they gave us Test Track, Soarin', Mission Space, etc.
They haven't introduced a ride in the vein of the original rides in many a year.
TT 1.0 and MS still had/have hints of the original theme of EPCOT Center.

But even those, one is gone and the other is pushing 20 years old.
Then what is the direction? People constantly say the old one is dead and to get over it, but seem to be unable to articulate it’s replacement.
This.

Missing20K

I don't know what the direction is, and I don't know if WDW can really tell us - I only know what I see.
Some vague, futurish, teckish, thing.
It clearly isn't what it was and they quite clearly don't intend to give us major rides harkening back to the way things were.
I'd certainly hope someone at DIS has a long term, strategic vision for Epcot.

But by the looks of it, it's not a terribly coherent vision.

britain

Tony Baxter tells the story of when management was wondering if they really needed to license the Indiana Jones name from Lucas - could they have a great attraction without it specifically being Indiana Jones. (Crazy huh? My how the tables have turned.) Tony then gave a presentation for "The Kentucky Smith Adventure" just to make the point that even if the ride was just as superb, it is not as strong an attraction. The ride would have to do all the heavy lifting of telling you why you should want to be with this Kentucky Smith person, what to expect from a Kentucky Smith adventure, what the rules are, genre is, etc. etc.

It's not just about gift shop merchandise. In many ways a popular IP gives imagineers healthier budgets, and frees up their storytelling abilities.

BrianLo

Then the Universal parks should be making far more money than the Disney parks which are only relatively recently following their model

I’m sure you know that’s a gross oversimplification. I think there is a litany of other reasons Universal still is not hitting Disney levels.

Execution, nostalgia and brand loyalty for starters.

We can’t dismiss Potter, when there is a perfect merging of beloved IP with execution, it can theoretically move the needle (and Merch) far more than an original.

Of course, I’m a huge fan of park originals. Variety is always the best policy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think everyone is missing the obvious connections they'll make with this - While riding UoE, Peter Quill somehow snuck off the ride, went next door to WoL while it was being built, and stole Buzzy out of 'Cranium Command'. When he brought him back to UoE, there was so much energy in the pavilion the AA went haywire and launched Peter into space, as if he was on a roller coaster (They'll ignore the obvious timeline problems with that, because those little details are not important, only tying it all together is).

You're all welcome, and we can all just sit back and relax now until the ride opens in 2 years. ;)

WDWFREAK53

Vertical, hydroponic, urban farming is only just now becoming more commonplace, as an example of innovative tech that has not gotten stale but in fact has become a fast growing trend (Altius Farms).

Because every kid is begging their parents to take them on the "Vertical Hydroponic ride!"
Times have changed. With those times, EPCOT needs to change as well.

Do I personally think Guardians is the perfect fit for Epcot? No.
Could the Guardians be used in regards to the theme of "Energy?" Yes.
Do I think this attraction will feel like an Epcot classic that teaches while it entertains? No
Do I think this attraction will add some life to Epcot? Yes.
Do I think this attraction will be the "Must-ride" attraction that the masses talk about when they talk about Epcot? Yes.

I'm just saying...it's tough to sell the old-school Epcot attraction. You can make new attractions in the spirit of the old Epcot attractions and that would obviously be preferable but they are a hard-sell.

I look at Everest...it's a great attraction without an IP tie-in. It fits in with the Animal Kingdom seamlessly. Now, people had their doubts about Pandora but, IMO, it just works. The theme may be a bit off but aesthetically it fits in with the Animal Kingdom. I just don't understand why we can't wait to see what the finished product is for Guardians before we say that it goes against everything that Epcot is about?

At the end of the day, for me, Epcot was about attractions and experiences that were fun but also educated. Frozen Ever After doesn't hit that for me. Guardians, if it sticks with the them of educating about Energy, could still hit that mark IMO. I have my doubts, but I am also hopeful.

aliceismad

If Guardians isn't as big of a thing in something like 10 years, I wonder if this ride is being made so it can easily be reverted into another theme at a later time.
How often does Disney re-theme things? I honestly don't know the answer to this. I'm just curious from people who know a lot more Disney than I do.

I mean, Rock N Rollercoaster is still Aerosmith, even though it could very easily be updated. I guess Mr. Toad was "re imagined" into Pooh, Aliens is a rethemed Mater clone, RSR a rethemed Test Track. TOT at DCA was rethemed but only because the Twilight Zone arrangement was running out.

Missing20K

Because every kid is begging their parents to take them on the "Vertical Hydroponic ride!"
Times have changed. With those times, EPCOT needs to change as well.

Do I personally think Guardians is the perfect fit for Epcot? No.
Could the Guardians be used in regards to the theme of "Energy?" Yes.
Do I think this attraction will feel like an Epcot classic that teaches while it entertains? No
Do I think this attraction will add some life to Epcot? Yes.
Do I think this attraction will be the "Must-ride" attraction that the masses talk about when they talk about Epcot? Yes.

I'm just saying...it's tough to sell the old-school Epcot attraction. You can make new attractions in the spirit of the old Epcot attractions and that would obviously be preferable but they are a hard-sell.

I look at Everest...it's a great attraction without an IP tie-in. It fits in with the Animal Kingdom seamlessly. Now, people had their doubts about Pandora but, IMO, it just works. The theme may be a bit off but aesthetically it fits in with the Animal Kingdom. I just don't understand why we can't wait to see what the finished product is for Guardians before we say that it goes against everything that Epcot is about?

At the end of the day, for me, Epcot was about attractions and experiences that were fun but also educated. Frozen Ever After doesn't hit that for me. Guardians, if it sticks with the them of educating about Energy, could still hit that mark IMO. I have my doubts, but I am also hopeful.
I was always fascinated by the tomatoes growing out of plastic tubing when I was a youngin'. I was an odd one though. :bookworm:

It was simply an example of EPCOT Center showcasing innovative technology that wasn't consumer electronic based, was feasible, and yet still groundbreaking enough that it took another 30+ years for commercial uses to catch up to the concept. This could still be done if the correct technologies were showcased. For example, Test Track could have showcased electric mobility and it still today would have been relevant with few updates. The Nemo overlay of Seas could have spoken about the evolution of oceanographic research which could have been on point for both IP and existing theme. Mission Space mostly just needed a better pre and post show and would have fit well with old EPCOT, at least until space travel becomes as common as air travel. These are helping guests explore innovative tech that still moves slowly enough to not feel stale after just a few years.

There is too strong an association with the technology side of EPCOT Center being centered around Communicore/Innoventions and guests having hands on interactions with electronics and other "devices". This sells short the legacy of EPCOT Center showcasing or highlighting new technologies like the hydroponic farming of LwtL, or the moving theaters of UoE, or the new homesteads of Horizons, or at the time the largest saltwater tank of the Seas. Some practical and some fanciful. There should still be room for this at the "New Epcot."

FWIW, I'd love for GotG to have some "Energy" edutainment factor too, but I fear it will be a simple nostalgic nod, or worse, a nostalgic slap in the face.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
How often does Disney re-theme things? I honestly don't know the answer to this. I'm just curious from people who know a lot more Disney than I do.

I mean, Rock N Rollercoaster is still Aerosmith, even though it could very easily be updated. I guess Mr. Toad was "re imagined" into Pooh, Aliens is a rethemed Mater clone, RSR a rethemed Test Track. TOT at DCA was rethemed but only because the Twilight Zone arrangement was running out.

It's a tricky question. I don't consider Mr. Toad going to Pooh a re-theme as much as a complete replacement.

With that in mind:

Mr. Toad / Winnie the Pooh
20,000 Leagues / Seven Dwarfs Mine Train & Little Mermaid
If You Had Wings / If You Could Fly / Dreamflight / Take Flight / Buzz Lightyear SRS
Mission to Mars / Stitch Encounter
Mickey Mouse Revue / Magic Journeys / Lion King show / PhilharMagic

Epcot:
Horizons / Mission: Space
Journey into Imagination / Journey into YOUR Imagination / Journey into Imagination with Figment
Universe of Energy / Ellen's Energy Adventure / Guardians
World of Motion / Test Track 1.0 / Test Track 2.0
The Living Seas / The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Magic Journeys / Captain EO / Honey I shrunk the Audience / Captain EO again / Pixar Shorts
Maelstrom / Frozen
Kitchen Kabaret / Food Rocks / Soarin'
Wonders of Life / Festival Center / Play Pavilion

DHS
Lights Motors Action and Backstage Tour / SW:GE
Star Tours 1.0 / Star Tours 2.0
Great Movie Ride / Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

DAK
Countdown to Extinction / Dinosaur
Camp Minnie Mickey / Pandora

..probably some I'm missing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom