News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just an update based on photos I saw on twitter posted yesterday and last week. I won’t post the photos though as they aren’t mine. It seems they have dug down in UoE, and at the former entrance to the building you can see things sitting in the building. It appears as though the now dirt floor in UoE has been lowered to about 2 or 3 feet below ground level. Also the trees on the side of the pavilion have been cut, so it is likely they’ll work will start on the exterior. At the back of the roof, something seems to have been lifted up a bit, and metal fence-like posts have been installed, with steel infrastructure going in between them. Tighter steel frames for enclosure have been added to the launch tunnel and the still exposed corner of the gravity building. There is now a solid wall on one side of one of the the stairways in the gravity building as well, so I expect the entire building should finally be enclosed soon.

You can post links to Tweets here, the forum will embed them in your post so it's clear where they originally came from.

tparris

You can post links to Tweets here, the forum will embed them in your post so it's clear where they originally came from.
I know, I just saw them from a random account I didn’t know so I wasn’t sure if they would be ok with me posting the pictures here. I guess as long as I’m not claiming them as mine it’s alright..

MattFrees71

Yeah, totes. They should have definitely left the thing that nobody liked instead of replacing it with something that will be wildly popular.
Thanks for your friendly reply............. I didn't say anything about wanting to keep Ellen's E.A. as it was, as I agree it was painfully outdated and tired. It's not like a rollercoaster and/or the latest pop culture trend is the only possible option they had to boost the attendance/popularity factor. A tasteful re-imagining or something new that fit with the original theme of Epcot/Future World (and preferably kept the wonderful primeval dinosaur scene) is what many of us Epcot fans wanted to see. Done the right way, it would be quite popular to everyone, as well as probably last longer than some flash-in-the-pan pop culture trend. Of course, since it's a roller coaster, that will stay and be popular, but it's the GoG theming which will quickly stale in comparison to real concepts, optimistic futurism, and innovative technology.

montyz81

Thanks for your friendly reply............. I didn't say anything about wanting to keep Ellen's E.A. as it was, as I agree it was painfully outdated and tired. It's not like a rollercoaster and/or the latest pop culture trend is the only possible option they had to boost the attendance/popularity factor. A tasteful re-imagining or something new that fit with the original theme of Epcot/Future World (and preferably kept the wonderful primeval dinosaur scene) is what many of us Epcot fans wanted to see. Done the right way, it would be quite popular to everyone, as well as probably last longer than some flash-in-the-pan pop culture trend. Of course, since it's a roller coaster, that will stay and be popular, but it's the GoG theming which will quickly stale in comparison to real concepts, optimistic futurism, and innovative technology.
Is there a way to double or even triple like this?!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Took the words out of my mouth.

Mainahman

MattFrees71

Where else in Epcot (outside of Spaceship Earth) is Epcot's original theme still present?
Why should a new attraction echo a theme that was abandoned long ago?
Themes of optimism and futurism and especially innovative technology go stale just as quickly - perhaps even more so - than pop culture themes.
Yes, the real "EPCOT Center" has been gone awhile, but enough of it's original idea remains (Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Journey into Imagination sort of) or has remained up until very recently (Innoventions, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Test Track 1.0...) such that to many, the announcement of the GoG ride being put in was like a hammering of one of the last nails in the coffin for a hope to keep and build upon the remaining pieces of authentic Future World.

Certain aspects of Epcot's original theme don't change- like history of communication, transportation, agriculture, etc... Even with Horizons, space colonies or undersea cities are something that still haven't been realized. Yes, there is updating that needs to be done as some of these views change or as new technology is found, but much of the reason for Future World becoming "stale" was Disney simply not refurbishing/updating things, waiting until they were horribly outdated, and by then just felt like slapping in "the next new thing."

Last edited:

britain

I understand what you're saying. But to paraphrase Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men: "It doesn't matter if the ride is good, it matters if it's a ride I can sell."

Do I spend X amount of dollars to tell people to come see a ride based on a known popular story/IP? Or do I spend X+Y amount of dollars to tell people to come and see a ride with an original story/IP? Either attractions could be super high quality. That part doesn't matter. It is SOOO much easier to say "That story you already love? Now it's a ride!" than it is to say "Let me tell you this new story, where you have - er, time's up."

All other things being equal, I believe this is undeniably logical.

Now, not all other things are equal. If the popular IP actually destroys the delicate balance of the park's theming, then it is short-sighted to make a "successful" new ride at the expense of whole park. But, I guess they have a different vision for what the rest of Epcot is going to be.

Missing20K

Where else in Epcot (outside of Spaceship Earth) is Epcot's original theme still present?
Why should a new attraction echo a theme that was abandoned long ago?
Themes of optimism and futurism and especially innovative technology go stale just as quickly - perhaps even more so - than pop culture themes.
I'd argue WS still represents EPCOT Center's original theme. The Land and to a lesser extent MS still harken back to the ideas of optimism, futurism, and how technology can influence human behavior.

Well they need to decide on what exactly the theme of the park is, it's really muddled. That is probably the real issue with Epcot at the moment.

I just patently disagree. Themes of optimism and futurism have the ability for guests to project their own ideas on to the experience. Pop culture hits the guest over the head with a book and tells them how to experience the product. And with regards to innovative technology, the idea (from a guest POV) of what tech is and can be should be expanded beyond consumer electronics. Vertical, hydroponic, urban farming is only just now becoming more commonplace, as an example of innovative tech that has not gotten stale but in fact has become a fast growing trend (Altius Farms).

Missing20K

I understand what you're saying. But to paraphrase Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men: "It doesn't matter if the ride is good, it matters if it's a ride I can sell."

Do I spend X amount of dollars to tell people to come see a ride based on a known popular story/IP? Or do I spend X+Y amount of dollars to tell people to come and see a ride with an original story/IP? Either attractions could be super high quality. That part doesn't matter. It is SOOO much easier to say "That story you already love? Now it's a ride!" than it is to say "Let me tell you this new story, where you have - er, time's up."

All other things being equal, I believe this is undeniably logical.

Now, not all other things are equal. If the popular IP actually destroys the delicate balance of the park's theming, then it is short-sighted to make a "successful" new ride at the expense of whole park. But, I guess they have a different vision for what the rest of Epcot is going to be.
So then why would anyone create an original book, movie, piece of music, artwork, architecture, so on and so forth, if the best use of funds is always on "the story you already love"?

britain

So then why would anyone create an original book, movie, piece of music, artwork, architecture, so on and so forth, if the best use of funds is always on "the story you already love"?

I agree - I'm sure it's much more satisfying for an Imagineer to hatch a story of their own rather than to adapt an existing story.

That doesn't mean it makes sense for the park management to select the original IP vs. the popular IP.

Missing20K

I agree - I'm sure it's much more satisfying for an Imagineer to hatch a story of their own rather than to adapt an existing story.

That doesn't mean it makes sense for the park management to select the original IP vs. the popular IP.
I respectfully disagree. Both have their place. Both can be popular. Both can make money. I don't feel it's an either/or situation. There should be plenty of room to tell both familiar stories, and original ones.

Animal Kingdom was an entirely new IP, contained virtually no IP originally (outside of Mickey/Minnie area) and is arguably the most successfully "themed" park in the world.

britain

I respectfully disagree. Both have their place. Both can be popular. Both can make money. I don't feel it's an either/or situation. There should be plenty of room to tell both familiar stories, and original ones.

Animal Kingdom was an entirely new IP, contained virtually no IP originally (outside of Mickey/Minnie area) and is arguably the most successfully "themed" park in the world.

Yes, but successfully “themed“ is subjective. Is it the most financially successful? I’m sure it has added to the bottom line for the Walt Disney World resort overall. But it would be making even more money if there was some sort of pre-existing IP that it emulated.

Hence the needed addition of Avatar.

Missing20K

Yes, but successfully “themed“ is subjective. Is it the most financially successful? I’m sure it has added to the bottom line for the Walt Disney World resort overall. But it would be making even more money if there was some sort of pre-existing IP that it emulated.

If your only measure of success is financial, then a discussion about the success of "subjective" art will be difficult.

Avatar was added because of a little boy wizard north on I-4.

lazyboy97o

Then the Universal parks should be making far more money than the Disney parks which are only relatively recently following their model

Incomudro

I'd argue WS still represents EPCOT Center's original theme. The Land and to a lesser extent MS still harken back to the ideas of optimism, futurism, and how technology can influence human behavior.

Well they need to decide on what exactly the theme of the park is, it's really muddled. That is probably the real issue with Epcot at the moment.

I just patently disagree. Themes of optimism and futurism have the ability for guests to project their own ideas on to the experience. Pop culture hits the guest over the head with a book and tells them how to experience the product. And with regards to innovative technology, the idea (from a guest POV) of what tech is and can be should be expanded beyond consumer electronics. Vertical, hydroponic, urban farming is only just now becoming more commonplace, as an example of innovative tech that has not gotten stale but in fact has become a fast growing trend (Altius Farms).

I believe they've decided the direction of Future World was no longer its original concept when they gave us Test Track, Soarin', Mission Space, etc.
They haven't introduced a ride in the vein of the original rides in many a year.

lazyboy97o

I believe they've decided the direction of Future World was no longer its original concept when they gave us Test Track, Soarin', Mission Space, etc.
They haven't introduced a ride in the vein of the original rides in many a year.
Then what is the direction? People constantly say the old one is dead and to get over it, but seem to be unable to articulate it’s replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom