News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm letting the building's paint scheme do what it is intended to do which is letting the structure fade away in the background to let the other buildings catch the focus of the eye.
IMO, it is a missed opportunity. This building could have easily added to and enhanced what catches the focus of the eye. Considering its size and location, if it were given a proper facade it could very well become a part of the already amazing architecture of the park rather than just a big blue box.

When building EPCOT, they were severely over budget, yet they did not make the buildings that house(d) Imagination, WoM, Horizons, or The Land a simple box design painted to match the sky. They spent the money and the buildings became timeless instead of fading away into the background.

lazyboy97o

Lol if you think there’s a full basement -15 below actual grade at M:S then I’ve got swampland in Louisiana to sell you.

The blueprints are online. Find one that shows a full basement. Caution: in Florida buildings are purposefuly built up to create the appearance of a basement.... example: the ENTIRE Magic Kingdom.
Im guessing full building sections have not been posted online and that you have not seen them, seeing as you doubt the existence of the access pits.

lazyboy97o

Had they themed it up then it would have truly distracted from SSE and you would have hated it even more.

The “blue box” is designed to fade and be not noticed at all by the vast majority. Here now.... and nobody is paying ANY attention to it.

The only real solution that would please the stuck-in-the-past traditionalist crowd would be to build nothing at all OR another boring omnimover with a scientific focus.

The future of this park surrounds pleasing the under 40s and not the over 40s....and what do 95% of them want? A super high tech story driven space coaster with GOTG characters???? Or a modernized omnimiver? Hmmmm. Tough call....
Those are hardly the only options.

MickeyMinnieMom

The debate over the exterior of the building is getting old! It was a major mistake on disney part to not them it and make it fit.... We all get it and accept that as fact! Now why can we not just stop beating the horse on the subject.... Wait until the project is done maybe by some miracle they see the error in their mistake and fix it.
This isn't correct. Which is plain from reading the thread. Thus the ongoing discussion... getting old or not. :)

rkleinlein

While anyone is free to write responses such as, "quit complaining," and "if you don't like it then don't look at it," or to show pictures of other unsightly things at Disney theme parks through the ages, those responses don't address the topic: the look of this building.

Why so many are getting so upset when others state the obvious--that the building is an eyesore--is beyond me.

The fact that they've attempted to camouflage all sides is, I think, an admission not only that it's impossible to ignore and will be seen from multiple vantage points, but that it's also quite ugly.

If anyone has something positive to say about the design I'd be very interested to hear it.

But saying "it doesn't bother me," or "people won't look that way when they walk into the park," or "design is subjective" is not a defense of the look of this building.

The best defense might be, "it's the best they could do given the constraints of location, ride design, etc."

Fine.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's a giant eyesore. And to say so shouldn't result in being told to "stop going to Disney."

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Where are the “sub grade” facilities? Please don’t bring up utilidors because they are not sub grade....

Bad design is a matter of opinion.

DHS Galaxy's Edge:

1548703171513.png

MrHorse

Your obviously not from Florida. Below grade construction (while possible) is extremely expensive. It just isn’t done unless there is no other way.

Regardless, building plans are typically a public record filed with government agencies for permits. Find one that shows a full finished basement -15 feet below actual grade (not built up) at M:S (or anywhere at WDW) and I’ll happily eat crow.

I think you might be overselling the rarity of it. It's certainly expensive and less common than in other areas, but it's not exactly unheard of. The downtown areas of most major cities have substantial below-grade construction. My hometown has a fairly substantial tunnel system connecting several buildings, all below grade and on the banks of a river to boot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Regardless, building plans are typically a public record filed with government agencies for permits. Find one that shows a full finished basement -15 feet below actual grade (not built up) at M:S (or anywhere at WDW) and I’ll happily eat crow.
The Land maintenance tunnel?
Imag maintenance tunnel?
Where are the “sub grade” facilities? Please don’t bring up utilidors because they are not sub grade....

Bad design is a matter of opinion.
The central utilidor corridor under the hub moat is below grade.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks mounded up to me. Which is what they normally do in Florida. Building beneath the surface, in Florida = leaks = dumb.

It also doesn’t appear to be lined with concrete... which means it’s not below grade. In Florida, that hole would quickly fill with water.

It is below grade. It is not lined in concrete in this picture, it's just sheet pile. Concrete walls were installed later.

Here is a wider shot where you can see that area is at the same level as the rest of the park. As other have pointed out, you can build below grade in Florida, it's just more difficult then in other areas.

1548707278452.png

shortstop

Take this with a grain of salt, especially considering Peter Quill was abducted in 1988 and Buzzy appeared in the parks in 1989

Unless GotG in Epcot will also be “themed” to the Collector’s museum, or whatever the heck MB is supposed to be, I don’t think we will be seeing Buzzy or any other WDW artifacts in the queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom