News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ToTBellHop

8767AB06-4CD2-48D4-A014-550F73BA9F83.png

T.Will

The GOTG building is pretty much a "lose-lose" situation. Either theme it and have it totally compete with SE for sightline attention and be seen as a total eyesore, or try to mask it with the sky and have it stick out in the parking lot and be seen as lazy.

Of course, option 3 was to not build the ride, but that's not the path they chose.

lazyboy97o

The GOTG building is pretty much a "lose-lose" situation. Either theme it and have it totally compete with SE for sightline attention and be seen as a total eyesore, or try to mask it with the sky and have it stick out in the parking lot and be seen as lazy.

Of course, option 3 was to not build the ride, but that's not the path they chose.
Design is not a dichotomy. There were plenty of options beyond those two or not building the attraction.

lazyboy97o

What were the other options? The only other one I can think of is possibly housing it in the original UoE building.
Pretty much anything. It’s a new attraction. The easy one would be to not go with something so tall, especially since it is a launched coaster that doesn’t need the potential energy provided by a lift hill and being inside removes points of reference. Only portions of the building near the rear could have been taller. They could have utilized sub-grade portions for drops. They could have used visual effects to simulate height. There is nothing given about a huge warehouse.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've said it previously, but feel it needs reiterating - If Disney isn't concerned with guests seeing the enormous Flight of Passage / River Journey building upon approach on the bus, they aren't worried about the parking lot approach here either. One is continually discussed, the other isn't. Puzzling.
I couldn’t care less about the view of the back of the show building from the parking lot. That will be blocked soon by the hotel they build there ;)

I do think they need worry about views from inside the park.

ToTBellHop

Sub grade? In Florida? The water table prevents much in the way of digging.

Have you been to Disneyland prior to 2000? Or ever? Had you been you would’ve seen giant warehouse style show buildings clearly visible from the parking lot.... some dating to the days of WALT.

These types of structures are as old as Disney.
You can build below grade in FL if you want to. It’s not cheap but Disney can afford it.

lazyboy97o

Sub grade? In Florida? The water table prevents much in the way of digging.

Have you been to Disneyland prior to 2000? Or ever? Had you been you would’ve seen giant warehouse style show buildings clearly visible from the parking lot.... some dating to the days of WALT.

These types of structures are as old as Disney.
Yes, sub-grade in Florida. All of the parks have sub-grade attraction and/or service facilities. The new coaster opening later this year has sub-grade facilities.

Disneyland does not have the “blessings of size.”

There is nothing old about this type of disregard. Even then, something being old or done before, doesn’t justify repeating poor design.

rkleinlein

I don't understand this comparison. Does the photo show that like the Haunted Mansion, the ugly part of Guardians will soon be hidden by trees? Or does the photo show that like the Haunted Mansion, the un-themed part of Guardians isn't an ugly eyesore? If the former, Guardians will never be hidden by trees like the Haunted Mansion now is. If the latter, I agree that the back of the Haunted Mansion was not an eyesore when you could see a bit of it 40 or so years ago without trees, but it's hardly the three-toned box behemoth of Guardians which is visible not just from the parking lot, but from across the park. Or does the photo make another point? (Great pic by the way.)

This giant structure is most definitely a design challenge. Short of turning it into the world's largest Donald Judd mirrored box I don't know how it could be hidden. Theming might have distracted from Spaceship Earth--although there might have been an interesting dialogue between the giant sphere and giant cube. Maybe the box is the problem. Whatever the case, one wonders if a better solution could have been found. If not, then this best of all possible solutions is still ugly. For those who don't care that it's ugly, so be it, but it's still ugly. For those who don't think it's ugly, so be it, but it's still ugly.

lazyboy97o

Where are the “sub grade” facilities? Please don’t bring up utilidors because they are not sub grade....

Bad design is a matter of opinion.
They’re all over the place. As one example, just look at the big pits that go to Mission: SPACE’s mechanical rooms in the aerial photos for this project and the space restaurant.

There are certain principles of design that are far less a matter of opinion. Sightlines and views in themed design are something considered and celebrated when handled well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom