News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

The Empress Lilly

And that lasted for what, a year? Which is about as long as it was a "working studio".... The point is there have *always* been, shall we say "controversial" building/sightlines, in Disney Parks. This GOTG building is only one of a long line....

The Swolphin was built during what many on here reminisce as the golden age... and many think it completely ruined the illusion of the World Showcase/Eiffel Tower/etc. These controversies are nothing new.
The Swolphin intrusion was considered a mistake by both fans and management.

Generally the idea is not to repeat failure - 'Mistakes 'R Us' - but to learn from it.

Movielover

Really think that's a lot?

For a small satellite studio consisting of only 3 sound stages and a ever dwindling back lot property having to provide complete production services for a industry that at the time was still mainly focused on filming solely in California instead of multiple studios in different states and countries...

*breath

Yes I do

I was being in sarcastic in that timeframe...

;) is your friend... friend!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Further explaining its unsightlyness.
Before they put the lipstick on it:

CE6D4C9C-7CDC-42C1-928D-1BCA7C6B1DEA.jpeg

yensidtlaw1969

Trees, like bad hair cuts, will grow back. It just takes longer.
Exactly - the problem of the Contemporary being visible from Liberty Square had a solution designed into it from day one. I hope they let the trees grow to the point where they solve it again - they seem to think they get in the way of the Fireworks.

With Guardians, however, they decided making the building plain and painting it blue was enough. There are only a handful of spots in Epcot where the building isn't visible, it's such a shame that it doesn't seem to matter to them. Even painting some sort of mural on it would have been better. If you can't hide it, feature it.

The Empress Lilly

Swolphin and the Contemporary are both gorgeous architectural treasures of WDW. They may create sightline issues, but not eyesore ones. That counts for something.

The Contemporary is visible from within the MK. Even so it is open to debate whether that is even a problem or rather an asset from where it is most visible, within Tomorrowland.
The big bulky MK showbuildings are all either fully incorporated, such as HoP, or hidden away from view, such as the originals of 20k, Mansion, Small World, and all the later outside the berm / railroad additions from Pirates to Splash.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
P
Exactly - the problem of the Contemporary being visible from Liberty Square had a solution designed into it from day one. I hope they let the trees grow to the point where they solve it again - they seem to think they get in the way of the Fireworks.

With Guardians, however, they decided making the building plain and painting it blue was enough. There are only a handful of spots in Epcot where the building isn't visible, it's such a shame that it doesn't seem to matter to them. Even painting some sort of mural on it would have been better. If you can't hide it, feature it.
My take on this is that it’s not a big deal that the building can be seen from all over the park, it’s what the building looks like. All of the original EPCOT show buildings were visible from various parts of the park. Looking across world showcase lagoon you can see Imagination and part of the original Land building plus of course the big ball.
09EC9FCF-F97C-4B4E-941E-85E057C50765.jpeg

6DA3A031-5EB4-481E-B777-F0B901F2CBC5.jpeg

3BB8DF6D-3D34-4B16-B790-D4592A0027FD.jpeg

Not to mention Horizons and World of Motion which are gone now but highly visible buildings:
BA975EDB-6677-4BCA-9AD5-E7814BEA36A0.jpeg

These buildings were not considered a problem because they were/are visually attractive. They are not eyesores. I wish they would have just made the GoTG building look “really cool” and modern from the outside. They don’t need to hide the building, just make it look good... not feeling the painted wharehouse vibe right now, hope it improves somehow.

yensidtlaw1969

P

My take on this is that it’s not a big deal that the building can be seen from all over the park, it’s what the building looks like. All of the original EPCOT show buildings were visible from various parts of the park. Looking across world showcase lagoon you can see Imagination and part of the original Land building plus of course the big ball.
View attachment 342359
View attachment 342360
View attachment 342358
Not to mention Horizons and World of Motion which are gone now but highly visible buildings:
View attachment 342361

These buildings were not considered a problem because they were/are visually attractive. They are not eyesores. I wish they would have just made the GoTG building look “really cool” and modern from the outside. They don’t need to hide the building, just make it look good... not feeling the painted wharehouse vibe right now, hope it improves somehow.
I totally agree - I wouldn't mind such a large building being built if it actually contributed to the Epcot Skyline.

The building is nearly as tall as Spaceship Earth and is noticeably wider -- the onus should be on it to make a valuable visual statement.

tissandtully

Noticed the awning yesterday that's going over the bridge to the gravity building, are there plans to put solar panels on this? Looks kinda like they would fit nicely on there.

RSoxNo1

The average guest is more than happy with Six Flags theming if the rides are fun.

They may say so, but it's largely out of ignorance. That's the difficult part of non-linear story telling. If something is out of place (say a giant show building or Frozen in Norway) you may not be able to explain your dissatisfaction, just that something feels "off". You may still enjoy the attraction, but if anything pulls you out of that story your enjoyment will suffer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom