News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Missing20K

Drainage for rain water. The roof slopes down on both sides so that the water can drain out of the holes.
Possibly, the side-by-side could indicate one is the regular drain and the second is the emergency overflow. If one were to follow the second set down to the ground, the downspouts would go directly through a door/window opening. They could, however, redirect those downspouts around the openings. EDIT: Closer inspection seems as though they may miss the openings entirely.

However, I can't see a good reason not to do internal stormwater drains as you had a tabula rasa and were already digging undergrounds. It eliminates many issues, including penetrating the metal panels, which lead to needing flashing and scupper details. Also, if one were to use downspouts, they now have to match the gradient so as not to lose the "effect". I'm not sure if having regularly spaced downspouts enhances or detracts from the "invisible" effect. And they will have to be oversized to accommodate twice the flow, regular and emergency.

It's also difficult to discern, but the slope of the roof is definitely in the opposite direction for a good portion. Near the openings, it appears to be more flat or possibly drain to the openings. But with a building this size, and no constraints to prevent the roof from being a single slope, I'm very curious as to what those openings could be. They could certainly be through-wall scuppers and downspouts. I also think they could also be something else.

The name for such a hole is “machicoulis”. I learnt it many years ago in a class on architecture, and it’s delighted me ever since.
Sorta. That term particularly refers to openings in walls of forts or castles used for various methods of battle. They weren't for water drainage. I agree it's a fun word though. I also like fenestration. And anthemion. And tympanum. And stylobate. ;)

LittleBuford

Sorta. That term particularly refers to openings in walls of forts or castles used for various methods of battle. They weren't for water drainage. I agree it's a fun word though. I also like fenestration. And anthemion. And tympanum. And stylobate. ;)

I said nothing about drainage; I was referring to the (jocular) suggestion that the holes would be used for pouring hot oil on people. “Machicolation” is the more usual English word; I was taught the fancy Frenchified form.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/machicoulis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machicolation

Missing20K

lazyboy97o

Possibly, the side-by-side could indicate one is the regular drain and the second is the emergency overflow. If one were to follow the second set down to the ground, the downspouts would go directly through a door/window opening. They could, however, redirect those downspouts around the openings. EDIT: Closer inspection seems as though they may miss the openings entirely.

However, I can't see a good reason not to do internal stormwater drains as you had a tabula rasa and were already digging undergrounds. It eliminates many issues, including penetrating the metal panels, which lead to needing flashing and scupper details. Also, if one were to use downspouts, they now have to match the gradient so as not to lose the "effect". I'm not sure if having regularly spaced downspouts enhances or detracts from the "invisible" effect. And they will have to be oversized to accommodate twice the flow, regular and emergency.

It's also difficult to discern, but the slope of the roof is definitely in the opposite direction for a good portion. Near the openings, it appears to be more flat or possibly drain to the openings. But with a building this size, and no constraints to prevent the roof from being a single slope, I'm very curious as to what those openings could be. They could certainly be through-wall scuppers and downspouts. I also think they could also be something else.
They way they are paired and offset definely makes them look like scuppers. It’s common in the region so I don’t think detailing would be much of an issue.

I believe the roof is a simple gable, right down the middle. Doing some very quick and dirty math, only looking at the area of half the roof (so no accounting for the parapets), I am getting 1684.8 gpm. That exceeds the maximum capacity of 1055 gpm for horizontal gutters listed in Table 1106.6 of the Florida Building Code, Plumbing. The shear size of the roof just makes a bunch of roof drains seem like a nightmare, that’s a lot of slopes to coordinate, build and maintain versus the two and common scuppers.

Missing20K

They way they are paired and offset definely makes them look like scuppers. It’s common in the region so I don’t think detailing would be much of an issue.

I believe the roof is a simple gable, right down the middle. Doing some very quick and dirty math, only looking at the area of half the roof (so no accounting for the parapets), I am getting 1684.8 gpm. That exceeds the maximum capacity of 1055 gpm for horizontal gutters listed in Table 1106.6 of the Florida Building Code, Plumbing. The shear size of the roof just makes a bunch of roof drains seem like a nightmare, that’s a lot of slopes to coordinate, build and maintain versus the two and common scuppers.
I didn’t mean horizontal gutters. I meant these.

0516rj_crackthecode_img5.jpg

These would be in lieu of the scuppers some distance away from the parapet (I’m on my phone so I can’t do a sketch and the math to figure out how far away exactly). You still have to do crickets and saddles with thru wall scuppers and doing the slopes out of tapered insulation is nothing out of the ordinary and generally the roofing contractor submits shop drawings and do all their own slope calcs. The detailing isn’t an issue in terms of drawing them I just meant penetrating the panels is an opportunity for leaks, etc. They are going into underground pipe anyway so I just found it interesting they went this route instead of internal drains. Which are super common as well and I think a bit more elegant than exposed scupper and downspouts.

But let’s be honest we are way past elegant solutions in regards to this building. ;)

rocketraccoon

I'm desperately trying to think of something new to be negative about in 2019 regarding this attraction, any ideas? :)
At some point in 2019 I'd imagine the major exterior work on UoE will be underway, don't think that's been brought up much yet. Still got a couple hundred pages for next year sorted!

Weather is a factor. Nobody wants to ride a 40-50 mph ride in a driving Florida downpour.
And Epcot already has a ride that closes when it gets misty, two e-tickets going down isn't ideal. Also even though the gravity building is fugly, imagine if it was an outdoor coaster of the same size. Forget the current or Slinky's or Rip Ride Rockit's problems, the fallout from that decision would destroy the forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom