News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Disney Analyst

e97af70d46a36362e753a2ea1a5cd464.jpg

That's a great example. Obviously the trees have grown in since then, but even so. With such a grand focal point you really don't see the show building peaking up behind.

yensidtlaw1969

Which was never as bad as this:
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 4.43.11 PM.png

Guardians will never be as well hidden as the Mansion show building is now, or was even in 1971.

Like I said, the company that built the result in your photo had maybe one third of the resources of the company building the result in the above. Nearly 50 years on they should be doing better, not significantly worse.

yensidtlaw1969

How are the parking lots “part of the show” at each park — I truly don’t see this at all.
They're meant to be a first impression - think of how intricately layered the experience is from the Magic Kingdom Gateway to Parking at the TTC, to taking the Tram to the Monorail or Ferry, to riding that transportation across the Seven Seas Lagoon, to arriving at the Park Entry, to walking through the Train Station tunnels onto Main Street, to coming around the corner for the first full reveal of Cinderella Castle . . . in 1971 this was all considered a fully staged "show" that was meant to draw the guest away from the world into another space.

How much easier would it have been for Disney to plop the Magic Kingdom Parking lot in front of the Train Station? This was part of the "Blessing of Size" that Walt Disney World had in advantage over Disneyland . . . for the first time they COULD consider the Parking Lot as a meaningful, designed, and effective part of the show.

The Seven Seas Lagoon didn't even exist before they built it, so important to them was the structure of this cinematic reveal of the park. That the Parking Lot, if not a "beautiful" space, would at least be uncluttered by unbeautiful structures and sufficiently removed from the Magic Kingdom Park experience so that by the time you've reached it the Parking Lot could be a distant memory. And yet, as far as parking lots go the one at the TTC was clean, organized, and surrounded by vegetation . . . it was as nice a parking lot as you could get anywhere in the world, and even then it was accounted for by offering magical services away from it. They really, really took the parking lot seriously.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They're meant to be a first impression - think of how intricately layered the experience is from the Magic Kingdom Gateway to Parking at the TTC, to taking the Tram to the Monorail or Ferry, to riding that transportation across the Seven Seas Lagoon, to arriving at the Park Entry, to walking through the Train Station tunnels onto Main Street, to coming around the corner for the first full reveal of Cinderella Castle . . . in 1971 this was all considered a fully staged "show" that was meant to draw the guest away from the world into another space.

How much easier would it have been for Disney to plop the Magic Kingdom Parking lot in front of the Train Station? This was part of the "Blessing of Size" that Walt Disney World had in advantage over Disneyland . . . for the first time they COULD consider the Parking Lot as a meaningful, designed, and effective part of the show.

The Seven Seas Lagoon didn't even exist before they built it, so important to them was the structure of this cinematic reveal of the park. That the Parking Lot, if not a "beautiful" space, would at least be uncluttered by unbeautiful structures and sufficiently removed from the Magic Kingdom Park experience so that by the time you've reached it the Parking Lot could be a distant memory. And yet, as far as parking lots go the one at the TTC was clean, organized, and surrounded by vegetation . . . it was as nice a parking lot as you could get anywhere in the world, and even then it was accounted for by offering magical services away from it. They really, really took the parking lot seriously.
I can see the case for this - but MK was unique and special in this area. I don't see show elements in the 'arrival' phase of any other domestic park. (Some have said Epcot has a series of reveals... I haven't personally observed it and I'd be interested to know what those are). But I find it hard to see how anyone could argue that Disneyland, DCA, AK, or DHS have story elements in their parking lots, and I think Epcot is a stretch, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Incomudro

To be fair, not only do we now have trees that are 12 years taller, but they also themed the backside of the building in response to the criticism. So, not only is the comparison iffy, but the example you chose happens to prove the worth of the criticism.

I think also that the Backside of Everest™ pales in comparison to the big, hulking issue inside, which has perhaps stolen focus on the point of that attraction.

I'm sure the talk about it will have died down 12 years out from the opening of Guardians, but this will likely remain one of the most exceptionally egregious theming oversights in Walt Disney World. There isn't another box building anywhere in the 'World as glaring and obvious as this one. At least the Everest building is redeemed by the Mountain around it, and Soarin' is shaped to echo an airplane hangar, tying in to the attraction it houses.

The Guardians Gravity building is expected to be ignored despite being the most conspicuous show building on property, and no effort is being made to theme it to anything. Probably won't ruin vacations, but it's a new low for theming.
though.
Thank you, you articulated this better than I could have. But as I've said elsewhere, the majority of the modern phone-zombie crowds are less and less discerning about this stuff, and the company is now all too happy and relieved to be able pander to the lowest common denominator, so the standards are getting lower. It no longer bothers enough people, so here we are. Once the majority of the audience stops caring about aesthetics and theme and "show", it's a perfect storm, game over. And that situation is never going to get better. You could probably stick Flo from Progressive in the preshow now and most people would guffaw with delight between stares at their sacred phones.

I honestly don't think it will. I think we've passed that point. A lot of people seem almost eager to pay more for less and wait in ever-longer lines for ever-shorter "experiences". I suppose the endless ripoffs and rackets they face daily with nearly every large business entity these days has conditioned them well for Disney's increasing drift to that mentality.

And yet: Pandora and Black Spire Outpost.

spacemt354

Chili's
Which was never as bad as this:
View attachment 325815
Guardians will never be as well hidden as the Mansion show building is now, or was even in 1971.

Like I said, the company that built the result in your photo had maybe one third of the resources of the company building the result in the above. Nearly 50 years on they should be doing better, not significantly worse.
You have been able to see the Swan and Dolphin in World Showcase since the late 80s, the Soarin show building since the mid-2000s, etc.

You make it sound like this is a giant step down in immersion to have a futuristically themed show building visible in Future World. Eh, not really.

And this is coming from someone who is only moderately looking forward to this attraction.

erasure fan1

And yet: Pandora and Black Spire Outpost.
While Pandora is good, it's not great. FoP is a great ride. River journey, not so much. They are still under building and doing the minimum in my opinion. While star wars looks like it will be visually stunning, it's still only 2 rides that will in no way handle the demand. Disney is content with giving the minimum and charging the maximum. And obviously I'm the odd ball as people still flock through the gates.

jt04

While Pandora is good, it's not great. FoP is a great ride. River journey, not so much. They are still under building and doing the minimum in my opinion. While star wars looks like it will be visually stunning, it's still only 2 rides that will in no way handle the demand. Disney is content with giving the minimum and charging the maximum. And obviously I'm the odd ball as people still flock through the gates.

I still see people claiming TSL only has two rides. They might be making the same mistake in a couple years when discussing SWL. IMO.

BrianLo

Well it’s easy if you have such a low ride benchmark as WDW. Those two E-tickets actually increase WDW’s whole E-ticket count by 10%. 15% with the mouse... 100% for DHS alone.

It’s all about the PR spin.

MuteSuperstar

You missed what I am saying. People assume or think TSL has 2 attractions total when it actually has three.

What's going to be the third in Galaxy's Edge? Star Tours? I think people are referring to new additions, not 10-20 year old attractions. But yes, Toy Story Land does have 3 rides, 2 new and 1 old.

MickeyMinnieMom

IMO that thoughtfulness “from the parking lot” has only ever been true for MK. I guess that’s why I don’t understand lamenting one building “worsening” this aspect at one park. And certainly not with the ludicrously insulting nature of some posters (not you!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom