News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

mergatroid

To be fair, not only do we now have trees that are 12 years taller, but they also themed the backside of the building in response to the criticism. So, not only is the comparison iffy, but the example you chose happens to prove the worth of the criticism.

I think also that the Backside of Everest™ pales in comparison to the big, hulking issue inside, which has perhaps stolen focus on the point of that attraction.

I'm sure the talk about it will have died down 12 years out from the opening of Guardians, but this will likely remain one of the most exceptionally egregious theming oversights in Walt Disney World. There isn't another box building anywhere in the 'World as glaring and obvious as this one. At least the Everest building is redeemed by the Mountain around it, and Soarin' is shaped to echo an airplane hangar, tying in to the attraction it houses.

The Guardians Gravity building is expected to be ignored despite being the most conspicuous show building on property, and no effort is being made to theme it to anything. Probably won't ruin vacations, but it's a new low for theming.

To be honest my example was fair in my opinion as when Everest was being built and people went mad about the show building, nobody on here knew how it would end up. Once they painted the scenery on it and added some trees, many on here changed their tune and said "Actually that's not too bad".

We know that the side of the GOTG building viewed from inside the park is green at the bottom and blue at the top as they've started working on it. We don't however know what the plans are from the parking lot side. I was there 3 weeks ago myself and fully accept that the size of the building is very large and that right now it looks an eyesore. I'm also accepting the potential for it to look an eyesore when completed but I'm merely pointing out that Disney may have plans to theme to the point where people say "Actually that's not too bad at all"

As far as I'm aware Disney hasn't announced what they're doing with the parking lot side yet, if they have then apologies but I've not read that anywhere. Maybe they have or you know somebody there who's told you they're not doing anything with it, I'm not aware of that being the case though?

Lets' hope they do something but I'm also waiting till I know how it ends up before losing too much sleep over it.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I really don't understand your point here? You're saying people shouldn't complain about this unthemed show building because they complained about the unthemed backside of the Everest show building and as a result, Disney themed it and so they stopped complaining? That seems like it vindicates the complaining.

Also, this is 100x worse than everest. You can literally see this giant warehouse from all over the park, not just the parking lot.

As an aside, I believe the backside of Everest was originally left intentionally unthemed. The parking lot at DAK is meant to be especially concrete and utilitarian in order to provide a better contrast with the lushness of the park itself. The parking lot is man, the park is nature.

I had no idea that complaining on here made Disney 'theme' the Everest building, did they announce that officially?

I'm not complaining about people complaining either, just offering my view which is currently different to yours, as yours is to mine.

As for the parking lot at AK being man and the park nature, are you being serious? Do you think people actually articulate those thought?

"Daddy what's that building over there?"
"Well Bradley, that there's the show building for Everest. They decided to leave it looking a bit like concrete at it represents man, when we get inside the park they're representing nature so you'll see no man made buildings except for all the man made building that are shops and restaurants"

If we're going from that perspective then perhaps they're deliberately not adding a theme to GATG (if they don't) as the car park side represents the concrete of the parking lot and the inside something else :)

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

You’re seeing what they’re doing with it.
Really?!? I thought it was to be themed to fit in with classic EPCOT Center architecture. I didn’t realize they were talking about Soarin’.

Is this the final decision? And if so, does anyone have any tall trees (around 130 feet) that TDO can use? Seriously, do you know if any foliage will be used to camouflage the building a little more?

peter11435

Many seem to agree with you. To me, however, a parking lot is always going to be a utilitarian and ugly space, whether at WDW or Walmart.
If the views from the parking lot destroy illusions from later experiences then it is a problem. And weather it’s a parking lot or in park it should still be properly maintained and cared for. My local Walmart takes better care of their parking lot and it’s landscaping then any of the current WDW parks lots.

LittleBuford

If the views from the parking lot destroy illusions from later experiences then it is a problem. And weather it’s a parking lot or in park it should still be properly maintained and cared for. My local Walmart takes better care of their parking lot and it’s landscaping then any of the current WDW parks lots.

I said nothing to suggest that general upkeep didn't matter. Whether a building is themed on its parking-lot facade has nothing to do with maintenance. As for the illusion being ruined, I personally find the backstage views cool (not from within the park, of course). To me, knowing how the illusion works makes it that much more impressive. But I realise others disagree, and that's fine.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I said nothing to suggest that general upkeep didn't matter. Whether a building is themed on its parking-lot facade has nothing to do with maintenance. As for the illusion being ruined, I personally find the backstage views cool (not from within the park, of course). To me, knowing how the illusion works makes it that much more impressive. But I realise others disagree, and that's fine.
“Disney guts” - it’s why they offer so many behind the scenes tours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom