Grocery Shopping

wdwfanatic2004

Original Poster
Sorry, If this the wrong forum or this question, But I am a New DVC member and was wondering where every body shops for groceries.(Cheap vs convenient):)

We pack a huge box of Cheerios in my luggage. Before our first trip to WDW, I read that it's good to pack food in luggage which will be consumed at WDW. This way, when you're going home, you have room in your bags to pack the stuff you buy while on vacation.

We also pack a can of coffee in pre-measured filter packs. The coffee they give you in the room is never enough.

Milk is purchased at the grocery store at our resort, along with donuts, chips, soda etc... for snacking in the room.

That's about it for us. As the vacation goes on, bakery items will fill the fridge, as well as doggy bags.

urbanvegan

We never rent a car, so we like to use Garden Grocer (gardengrocer.com). They have good prices, great delivery service - and can pick up most anything else not listed on the site (like wine and beer) if you just email them. We pre-pay with a credit card and they will leave it with your resort's Bell Services.

Then when you get to your room after doing whatever you have planned for your arrival day, call Bell Services and they bring it right over.

DarkImage4

Doesn't DVC still do shopping for you as well? We used the service a couple trips ago, about halfway through the first day our food was in the room and ready for us on the counter and in the fridge.

DisneyPhD

We have used GardenGrocer a couple of times. I think getting groceries through DVC costs more and only has the selection found in the resort stores so I would think it would be cheaper to just go and pick it up yourself if you don't want to use the off site services.

katnmouse

Definitely Publix on 535 and 192 is a good bet. Goodings is very close to SSR but found that getting out of the parking lot was an absolute nightmare and the time I wasted doing this I could have driven up and down 535 several times to Publix. There is also a huge Walmart on 535 which will meet many needs.:wave:

Laura

Premium Member
I would like to disagree with using Publix on 192.

We went there at 9:00 at night a couple weeks ago and it was completely packed and you could barely move in the place. It was a nice store with a decent selection, but it was absolutely mobbed. Not to stereotype, but most of the "mob" did not speak English and were very rude and obnoxious and would just stand blocking all the aisles, not paying attention to anyone but themselves. (I noticed they acted the same way in the parks all week as well).

Anyway, I think next time I'll venture a little further out to try and avoid that stress.

slappy magoo

Doesn't DVC still do shopping for you as well? We used the service a couple trips ago, about halfway through the first day our food was in the room and ready for us on the counter and in the fridge.

I believe they still have the service, but the pickings are slim & the prices are high. It's convenient, and still cheaper than having all of your meals in WDW eateries. But if you want products they don't carry - specific brands of soft drinks or cereals, for example - going shopping yourself or using garden grocer would probably be better.

CatsMeow

Another vote for Garden Grocer if you don't have access to a car. We used them last month and it worked out just fine. :sohappy:The prices are quite good; much better than WDW, but not quite as good as home. I noticed that our groceries came from Publix, so I would guess that their prices are competitive. Goodings is quite expensive, IMHO, although they are very close to WDW. WDW has the basics in their stores, but, as you can imagine, you will pay for that convenience.

FamilyMagic

My family is going soon & we are also using Garden Grocer. I've heard good things about them and have sent my order in online. It will be the first time I'll be using them, so hopefully everything will work out well. I liked how they deliever to your room for a $12 fee. We basically ordered late night snacks and park essentials.

DisneyFan1003

My family is going soon & we are also using Garden Grocer. I've heard good things about them and have sent my order in online. It will be the first time I'll be using them, so hopefully everything will work out well. I liked how they deliever to your room for a $12 fee. We basically ordered late night snacks and park essentials.

We did the same for our trip next week. The best part was that we could order a case of water and not have to pay for bottled water in the parks!

CatsMeow

We also used Garden Grocer on our trip in June and were quite pleased. The prices were a bit higher than home, but much better than WDW! They shopped at Publix for our order and we received it a little late, but that was fine. Everything - including payment and tip - was done on-line and it was easy and painless. We ordered basic stuff - case of water, milk, bread, some snacks and soda. But you can order just about anything including produce and meats.

Goodings is the closest store, but it is pricey IMHO. If you have a car, head to Publix or the Wal-Mart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom