Grocery options?

bostonpayne

Original Poster
I’ve been a DVC member for about a year now and have taken 3 trips in the past year with my family and have purchased a grocery order with garden grocer. Anyone have any other better options they suggest? Garden grocer seems to be super overpriced that I might as well just get food in the parks.
What does everyone else do?

mouse_luv

We make a stop at Super Target or Publix on the way into the resort and pick up some essentials. Stuff for quick light breakfasts and stuff for sandwiches (either lunch some days or night snacks), cookies, chips and such. Pepsi, case of water.

nickys

Premium Member
Instacart deliver from Publix, which I know a lot of people use. There’s also Dizzy Dolphin and Amazon Prime Now.

There are different pricing for each, and they have different policies on delivering alcohol.

I’ve had recommendations for Instacart over on Mouseowners, so I may give them a try next time. We usually go to Publix so it’s familiar. There again, I like choosing fruit and veg myself, so maybe we’ll stick with a drive there. We do an order from the resort for the basics for a couple of days, until we’re ready to hire a car and drive.

correcaminos

Instacart or Prime Now (depending on the order) get my vote. The prices are super reasonable - as in within pennies of the price I pay in store. They both offer alcohol delivery without having to provide a copy of your ID via e-mail (I'm not cool with that) but you do have to meet to get the groceries if you do have alcohol. If you don't, it's not big deal.

Garden Grocer and Dizzy Dolphin are still around. I find them way too expensive though (like 50% more). So I'm all about using the ones above or going myself to Winn Dixie or Publix.

Walmart, Safeway and Shipt are all other options. We haven't tried any of them out though.

Phonedave

You don't say how you get to WDW, and if you are flying, do you rent a car.

Clearly, if you have a car available, a quick trip off property is well worth the time. I myself happen to like looking around unfamiliar grocery stores in new areas or countries (I worked in one for over 10 years while in school). It drives my wife crazy.

We fly and use DME. Most of the time we are not paying for checked baggage, so we actually pack a bag with food. Nothing crazy, but just dry goods like crackers, cookies, cereal, coffee etc. We use garden grocer for a few bottles of wine, milk, butter, bread, eggs etc. We are not ordering all that much, so the mark up (which is pretty steep) only comes out to a few bucks.

I think I am going to start looking into InstaCart. I really do like the service from GG. Excellent communication, and the few rare times they have made an error they corrected it quickly. But their mark up is starting to get crazy.

bostonpayne

Original Poster
We make a stop at Super Target or Publix on the way into the resort and pick up some essentials. Stuff for quick light breakfasts and stuff for sandwiches (either lunch some days or night snacks), cookies, chips and such. Pepsi, case of water.
We take the magical express bc we have a toddler. Do you know if there is a target or a Publix in the area
You don't say how you get to WDW, and if you are flying, do you rent a car.

Clearly, if you have a car available, a quick trip off property is well worth the time. I myself happen to like looking around unfamiliar grocery stores in new areas or countries (I worked in one for over 10 years while in school). It drives my wife crazy.

We fly and use DME. Most of the time we are not paying for checked baggage, so we actually pack a bag with food. Nothing crazy, but just dry goods like crackers, cookies, cereal, coffee etc. We use garden grocer for a few bottles of wine, milk, butter, bread, eggs etc. We are not ordering all that much, so the mark up (which is pretty steep) only comes out to a few bucks.

I think I am going to start looking into InstaCart. I really do like the service from GG. Excellent communication, and the few rare times they have made an error they corrected it quickly. But their mark up is starting to get crazy.
I have a 3 year old so it’s easier for us to take DME every time. He enjoys seeing the buses anyways. Plus we rather spend our time heading to the parks than food shopping. I find it crazy how expensive some GG items are.

mouse_luv

We take the magical express bc we have a toddler. Do you know if there is a target or a Publix in the area

I have a 3 year old so it’s easier for us to take DME every time. He enjoys seeing the buses anyways. Plus we rather spend our time heading to the parks than food shopping. I find it crazy how expensive some GG items are.
There are plenty close to property, it just depends what resort you are at which is closest lol!
We usually stay at AKL so there is a Publix and Super Target like 7 mins away in traffic.

Nottamus

We drive in and usually always make a trip out to 192 first afternoon after hitting the parks for awhile. The Publix, Target, and everything else you could need is super close by. Takes really no time at all.

Other than leaving, you'll probably always pay more to have it delivered. heck, for that matter, you'll have to pay Uber as well to get there....

correcaminos

I'm genuinely curious, what does having a toddler have to do with ME? We did hired cars at that age for time saving and safety (generally not allowed to use car or booster seats on ME.

You didn't say where, but there are a few Publix or Winn Dixie in the area. Same with Target.

Phonedave

I'm genuinely curious, what does having a toddler have to do with ME? We did hired cars at that age for time saving and safety (generally not allowed to use car or booster seats on ME.

You didn't say where, but there are a few Publix or Winn Dixie in the area. Same with Target.

I am going to guess that if both parents have checked luggage, plus maybe a stroller, it is easier to just have DME take care of your bags for you. Yes, you could just get a cart. I'm not saying it's hard, just DME is a bit easier.

correcaminos

I am going to guess that if both parents have checked luggage, plus maybe a stroller, it is easier to just have DME take care of your bags for you. Yes, you could just get a cart. I'm not saying it's hard, just DME is a bit easier.

A town car is even easier - they get the luggage for you 😍 😉

Seriously that's why we used them for while. Now my kid is my height so we're back to renting cars. But after one time of using MDE with a baby, my husband said never again. The time it took and the lack of good safety while driving on a highway bugged us both.

Phonedave

A town car is even easier - they get the luggage for you 😍😉

Seriously that's why we used them for while. Now my kid is my height so we're back to renting cars. But after one time of using MDE with a baby, my husband said never again. The time it took and the lack of good safety while driving on a highway bugged us both.

True, I took "hired car" to mean rental. Granted, Orlando is not bad when renting a car, pretty easy to get around. Some other places, I would not want to have to deal with a toddler and luggage while retrieving a rental car.

correcaminos

True, I took "hired car" to mean rental. Granted, Orlando is not bad when renting a car, pretty easy to get around. Some other places, I would not want to have to deal with a toddler and luggage while retrieving a rental car.

Ah yes, hired car to me is a town car. Rentals for me are for the other. Sorry for confusions. We've done both regularly and just rented last week in Orlando. Especially if you are with Alamo or National, it's super easy. When we did rent and had a car seat (not booster as you cannot use them on flights either) we'd send one parent to get the car and carry the seat with the kid. The other got the luggage. Then we'd pick up the one with luggage after getting the car. Almost always worked well that way. Once my husband got the luggage faster than usual and was right behind me once my car was picked LOL

Even still I prefer life now: each with a rolling carry on and we just go. Car rentals are getting costly so I'm not sure if we'll rent in a couple months or not. It's been a while since we've done a town car though so it could be fun to do it again just to do it.

Phonedave

Ah yes, hired car to me is a town car. Rentals for me are for the other. Sorry for confusions. We've done both regularly and just rented last week in Orlando. Especially if you are with Alamo or National, it's super easy. When we did rent and had a car seat (not booster as you cannot use them on flights either) we'd send one parent to get the car and carry the seat with the kid. The other got the luggage. Then we'd pick up the one with luggage after getting the car. Almost always worked well that way. Once my husband got the luggage faster than usual and was right behind me once my car was picked LOL

Even still I prefer life now: each with a rolling carry on and we just go. Car rentals are getting costly so I'm not sure if we'll rent in a couple months or not. It's been a while since we've done a town car though so it could be fun to do it again just to do it.

Orlando is pretty well laid out when ti comes to car rentals, so you can do the whole thing where one person gets the car and then picks up everybody else and the luggage. Places like Atlanta, where the shuttle to the car rental place is like an other trip in and of itself - it becomes more difficult.

We still do DME for WDW, it's cheaper and easier for us (we do check luggage). Yes, I know it keeps us captive on property, but we are OK with that.

-dave

correcaminos

Orlando is pretty well laid out when ti comes to car rentals, so you can do the whole thing where one person gets the car and then picks up everybody else and the luggage. Places like Atlanta, where the shuttle to the car rental place is like an other trip in and of itself - it becomes more difficult.

We still do DME for WDW, it's cheaper and easier for us (we do check luggage). Yes, I know it keeps us captive on property, but we are OK with that.

-dave
We're now TSA pre check and after the 6 lost hours coming and going, we just pay for convenience.

Also why if we rent we do onsite at MCO. There are many off site requiring shuttles as well. Sometimes it's about ease vs cost for us. Though we are still weighing our options for June. Rentals are disproportionately high this year.

Phonedave

We're now TSA pre check and after the 6 lost hours coming and going, we just pay for convenience.

Also why if we rent we do onsite at MCO. There are many off site requiring shuttles as well. Sometimes it's about ease vs cost for us. Though we are still weighing our options for June. Rentals are disproportionately high this year.

Don't get me started on the fact that I am still waiting after 3 months for conditional approval on my Global Entry application. What skeletons do they think are in my closet?

correcaminos

Don't get me started on the fact that I am still waiting after 3 months for conditional approval on my Global Entry application. What skeletons do they think are in my closet?
Oh wow! GE isn't at our airport yet so we only did PreCheck. I had my KTN in about a day. I found that funny since TSA was stopping me every single time I flew prior without a kid for "random checks" (the ones where your name is pre screened prior, not the ones that count every so often and get you)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

There's a Publix behind MK - Lakeside Village Center. There's also a brand new Publix off 429, near a brand new Wal-Mart.

But if you don't have a rental car or don't want the hassle of driving, I'd use Publix delivery through Instacart. Item prices are close to what they are in the store, delivery rate is a flat fee and you can select your delivery window. You get a notice when shopping starts for your items, updates if anything is out of stock or a substitution needs to be made and notification when your delivery is on its way. I've used it several times at home. I drive, so it's easy for me to stop at the Publix on 429 on my way to WDW. Frankly, I trust Publix delivery over Garden Grocers as I've been shopping at Publix for decades and know the quality of their products.

Very easy to do through the Publix Delivery app.

dreamfinder

I've used Garden Grocer, Amazon Prime Now and We Go Shop. They all have pluses/minuses. GG you know the price up front, but there is definitely a per-item markup and then possibly a delivery/handling charge on top. WeGoShop you don't know the price, but they will buy what you need from whatever store you want, and then charge you the receipt total, plus a handling fee. Prime Now has a smaller selection, but prices are reasonable. Do plan on being there when it gets delivered though, their packaging of cold goods has left something to be desired. (Yogurt was left in a plain brown paper bag w/no ice once)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom