Grocery Deliver

kimbermouse

Original Poster
I am having groceries delivered from Amazon Prime to Pop Century for an upcoming stay. Does anyone know if they charge to hold it until we arrive? If so, what is the rate?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
From TripAdvisor:

"Walt Disney World Resort hotels now charge a per box handling fee of $5 for all deliveries made to you from services such as Garden Grocer or Amazon. Take this policy change into consideration if you plan to send packages in advance to your hotel to save room in your luggage."Nov 23, 2016

kimbermouse

Original Poster
From TripAdvisor:

"Walt Disney World Resort hotels now charge a per box handling fee of $5 for all deliveries made to you from services such as Garden Grocer or Amazon. Take this policy change into consideration if you plan to send packages in advance to your hotel to save room in your luggage."Nov 23, 2016
Is that per day?

LUVofDIS

We have had groceries delivered on every trip for the last three years, we tip the Bell Service person but we have never paid for them holding the food. Just last week they held it from 4pm to around midnight.

nickys

Premium Member
Orders from the likes of Garden Grocer, Dizzy Dolphin, Instacart do not get charged.

I think the rule of thumb is, if it is couriered it is free. But if it arrives through the mail it is treated as a “parcel” and you will be charged. Not sure which Amazon is free - Amazon Pantry perhaps? I don’t think we have that in the U.K. so can’t be sure how it’s delivered.

But ordinary online grocery shopping orders are free. If you have alcohol, most insist someone meets them - so they won’t deliver to Bell Services. I think GG is the exception, as you fax them your photo I’d at the time of the order. The rest want to verify it in person.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've used Publix delivery via Instacart before. I get to choose the delivery window throughout the day. You can even select to have it delivered within 2 hours of placing your order. The Publix at Lakeside Center does delivery - I've seen the sign outside. If the person delivering can go to your room, rather than through Bell Services, I'd use Publix. Or order an Uber and go shopping yourself. There's a Publix about 15 minutes away from MK and a brand new one on 429, just before you get off for the Western Gate.

dreamfinder

I am having groceries delivered from Amazon Prime to Pop Century for an upcoming stay. Does anyone know if they charge to hold it until we arrive? If so, what is the rate?

Depends on what form of Prime exactly you used. Prime Now or Amazon Fresh should be excluded as those both come via courier. But if it was a Prime Pantry or regular Prime delivery those come UPS/FedEx/USPS and you would potentially be charged $5/day/package.

Orders from the likes of Garden Grocer, Dizzy Dolphin, Instacart do not get charged.

I think the rule of thumb is, if it is couriered it is free. But if it arrives through the mail it is treated as a “parcel” and you will be charged. Not sure which Amazon is free - Amazon Pantry perhaps? I don’t think we have that in the U.K. so can’t be sure how it’s delivered.

But ordinary online grocery shopping orders are free. If you have alcohol, most insist someone meets them - so they won’t deliver to Bell Services. I think GG is the exception, as you fax them your photo I’d at the time of the order. The rest want to verify it in person.

Yes, anything that comes via courier is currently excluded from the handling charge. Basically if you have something come from a traditional shipper, UPS/FedEx/USPS/etc, those can show up days before you arrive, and need to be stored/tracked. Shipments from couriers are usually delivered/picked up same day, and take up much less space.

Amazon, and Prime Pantry comes via shipper, so should be charged. Prime Now and Amazon Fresh should come via courier and be free.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

If I remember, parcel delivery is no longer made to the resort, but to a central location. So Amazon & Amazon Prime packages would be delivered there, then you'd have to call to get it sent to your resort. Frankly, I'd do Publix. I've gotten my groceries with 90 minutes of ordering. And the delivery fee isn't that bad. Yes, they deliver alcohol, but someone over 21 has to sign for it.

Be careful, I have read on some other posts, that some people had trouble with Prime Grocery delivery. Some ended up not receiving their groceries and some complained that the bell boy did not refrigerate perishable items. I was so worried that on my last trip I cancelled my Prime Grocery order and ended up ordering from Garden Grocers again. I was not charged for my groceries but I was charged for a few boxes I ordered from Amazon.

dreamfinder

Be careful, I have read on some other posts, that some people had trouble with Prime Grocery delivery. Some ended up not receiving their groceries and some complained that the bell boy did not refrigerate perishable items. I was so worried that on my last trip I cancelled my Prime Grocery order and ended up ordering from Garden Grocers again. I was not charged for my groceries but I was charged for a few boxes I ordered from Amazon.

I've found that Amazon doesn't differentiate between perishables externally, but internally they are packed in cold packs and insulation. If you schedule your delivery for a time that doesn't have it sit in bell services for hours you should be fine. (Our ice cream was a little soft, but still cold and firmed up nicely in the freezer)

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I've used Publix delivery via Instacart before. I get to choose the delivery window throughout the day. You can even select to have it delivered within 2 hours of placing your order. The Publix at Lakeside Center does delivery - I've seen the sign outside. If the person delivering can go to your room, rather than through Bell Services, I'd use Publix. Or order an Uber and go shopping yourself. There's a Publix about 15 minutes away from MK and a brand new one on 429, just before you get off for the Western Gate.

...and don't forget a Pub Sub while you're there!! <3

correcaminos

We had no issues with Prime Now for grocery delivery. If the bell services didn't refrigerate them, it's on them. I've had that happen even telling them to hold our items that I personally handed them myself. A friend of mine had a ton of issues with their Garden Grocer order too just recently.

So really it can be hit or miss if bell services is good, nothing to do with who delivers it most times. No need to cancel over random people on the internet.

To the OP if doing Prime Now, you do not get charged. If it is delivered via Prime 2 day delivery (ie boxed items) it may be charged.

skiing

We had groceries delivered by fairytale personal shopper last week to the beach club wasn't charged $5 I believe it is only for package holding the fee applies. Great service flat $20 service fee no grocery price upcharge unlike garden grocery and instacart that charges $5 a gallon for milk for example!!

She also does gift baskets personal shopping and parcel holding. She is fantastic!!

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Publix delivers now too. I signed up online and got a free delivery code. Too bad they don't deliver pub subs :(

righttrack

I feel the charge will reduce the tip that many give bell services for bringing your groceries up. I'd rather they get the money, they're doing the work.

HwdStudio

I feel the charge will reduce the tip that many give bell services for bringing your groceries up. I'd rather they get the money, they're doing the work.
All major hotel chains charge for holding packages and have for at least 20 years. Disney was very late to the game. It shouldn’t affect the bell staff’s tips but you are probably right.

correcaminos

All major hotel chains charge for holding packages and have for at least 20 years. Disney was very late to the game. It shouldn’t affect the bell staff’s tips but you are probably right.

It won't at all because this type of charge doesn't exist for grocery hold.

It's only for packages, and not grocery delivery so no worries there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom