Great Movie Ride

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Ok, since this Forum is dying off, I thought I'd throw one out for someone who really knows the answer!

How do the vehicles in The Great Movie ride work? How do they move, and do the Cast Members have any control whatsoever?

How about Universe of Energy? Same way?

Atta83

Well I know they have no tracks , magnets maybe, i have no idea, but the alien part of the ride freaks me out....

Atta

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by Atta83
Well I know they have no tracks , magnets maybe, i have no idea, but the alien part of the ride freaks me out....

Atta

HAHA, yeah, the Alien really creeps me out too! Well, that and the snakes - I HATE SNAKES!!!!

There actually are track-like things in Great Movie Ride - silver plates that run along the path, on each side. You can see the marks on the floor where the wheels follow, but I just don't know if those plates are electric rails that the vehicles just follow or what.

Any Imagineers here? Perhaps GMR Cast Members?

Sir Hiss527

They probablly run that same just as anything at WDW, I believe the CM's are actually driving them. Now about UoE, I have no clue. UoE amazes me.

Slipknot

This has been on the Travel channel a while ago, but I dont remember what they said.

Anyway, I think its the same as the parade floats. Chips in the track and cars???

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by Static-X
This has been on the Travel channel a while ago, but I dont remember what they said.

Anyway, I think its the same as the parade floats. Chips in the track and cars???

Ok, so I guess nobody on here really knows, HAHA. Perhaps i'll post this in one of the other forums.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
GMR follows a very thin guide cable on the ground in the style of Universe of Energy. The CMs do not steer the vehicle in any way.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmagic
GMR follows a very thin guide cable on the ground in the style of Universe of Energy. The CMs do not steer the vehicle in any way.

I knew I could count on you Steve! :)

I figured they didn't steer them, but do they control forward movement? I know that they stop at different scenes for the "interaction sequence", depending on whether they're the first or second one in the series.

isnet396

The "guidewire" is also located in ToT. Its about an eighth of an inch thick, and communicates with the onboard vehicle computer. Essentially, the thing can be thought of as lining up dog treats in a row and then letting a dog out on one end. The dog will follow the path of treats. On attractions, the vehicles follow the guidewire, which recently have been replaced in some attractions with metallic puck-like devices. If there's a major difference in where teh vehicle is, and where the guidewire is, the Ride Control Computer (RCC) automatically declares an E-Stop and sends the attraction 101.

cirquesoleilfan

Hi edwardtc!
Centered between the two tire marks is a very thin silver line. This is the electrical track called the "Guidewire" which is followed by a sensor underneath the vehicles. The tour guides do not actually steer the vehicles. However, they do shift speeds. When the vehicle comes into a scene where it needs to stop, there are metal plates on the track which triggers another sensor on the vehicle that automatically stops it at a designated spot.

Also, this ride doesn't have a central computer. All of the vehicles are completely independent of each other. There is no central system to detect collisions, vehicle locations, etc.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thanks CIRQUE! I wish you'd posted a long time ago, HAHA.

So, the vehicles are self-powered with batteries i presume? Is it true that they charge while at the load/unload platform, and if so, where?

So, do those 2 silver bars on the floor do anything, or are they decorative? And by the way, I have noticed the shifter and the traffic lights. That's why I asked how much control the drivers had, because I'd noticed them using the shifters. So, in a weird way, it's very similar to the Jungle Cruise - where the drivers only control forward and backward movement. Except there are not auto-overrides in JC!

cirquesoleilfan

The vehicles are electric and have on-board battery and are charged whenever the vehicle is stopped automatically by the plates on the floor. The sound of the vehicle charging is the the loud buzz you hear when it's stopped.

But it is very much like Jungle Cruise...only indoors with a more advanced scene system. :king:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by cirquesoleilfan
Yes, the vehicles are electric and have on-board battery and are charged whenever the vehicle is stopped automatically by the plates on the floor. So the charge plates are located on the track at the load/unload, Gangster Alley (for the B vehicle), Western Town (for the A vehicle), the Anubis scene, Oz, and Finale. The sound of the vehicle charging is the the loud buzz you hear when it's stopped.

Oh, every once in a while you'll find those long plates in the track, most notably when entering Oz, but they don't do anything anymore. Most likely, they were part of the old ride system.

But it is very much like Jungle Cruise...only indoors with a more advanced scene system. :king:

I'll listen for the buzz in June :)

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
However, against popular belief, the vehicles do not utilize "pucks" or communicate in any way with a central computer system. :king:

Would you care to elaborate on that please? I'm not doubting you, but after reading that site, it seems as if some attractions are using the parades' "puck" system. Are you saying that they still utilize the wire?

Also, I find it extremely hard to believe that they don't talk to a computer system in the ride, because they have to, haha. They can't just be independent, drive themselves, and troubleshoot themselves....

cirquesoleilfan

Again, the vehicles have no central computer, nor are pucks utilized. It simply follows the guidewire. Each vehicle is completely independent and incapable of transmitting any information whatsoever.

It's not too uncommon for vehicles to collide, run red lights, or leave late. This would be prevented by a central computer, but is unneccesary when you have someone to do the computer's job. Also, with the nature of GMR, a central computer wouldn't work too well.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Again, the vehicles have no central computer, nor are pucks utilized. It simply follows the guidewire. Each vehicle is completely independent and incapable of transmitting any information whatsoever. It's very simple really, but not quite as easy to explain.

OH, I thought you were talking about Univ of Energy, because I would presume that it would HAVE to talk to something, since there are NO drivers on it. I can understang GMR not communicating since they are operated.

isnet396

Originally posted by edwardtc
Would you care to elaborate on that please? I'm not doubting you, but after reading that site, it seems as if some attractions are using the parades' "puck" system. Are you saying that they still utilize the wire?

Also, I find it extremely hard to believe that they don't talk to a computer system in the ride, because they have to, haha. They can't just be independent, drive themselves, and troubleshoot themselves....

I concur, regardless of the attraction. All rides built after the early 80's have RCC's. It's damn near impossible to have one without one.

I have some friends that used to work the GMR. I'll ask 'em.

Ian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom