Great Movie Ride - Visible Strings?

GraysonsDad

I thought they were to simulate rain...anytime you're on a ride that has rain in the background you can see the strings and what looks like moving lights going down the strings to simulate rain falling. Living with the Land has this as well as several others.

JIMINYCR

I thought they were to simulate rain...anytime you're on a ride that has rain in the background you can see the strings and what looks like moving lights going down the strings to simulate rain falling. Living with the Land has this as well as several others.
Gene Kelly on the left side of GMR... Singin in the Rain scene has rain coming down. But there is no rain in the Mary Poppins scene on the right side. So no need for the "rain string".

The Empress Lilly

I came upon this photo which shows an extended view including a portion of the line and the rafters above. At first glance there doesnt appear to be anything in the rafters (too dark) but using a magnifying glass there is something in the third square.

View attachment 516364
I think the string simply serves to keep a prop in place. Possibly the large chimney pipe (follow the path of the visible string), it looks a bit wonky and not easily secured below.

After enough years the physical sets start to resemble Russian space stations. Everything is kept together with duct tape and strings, but kinda works.

Essentially these are movie sets. Not build as a durable house. Carpentry, welding, glue. Improvised on the spot. Not every solution works as intended, fewer less prove durable for decades of onslaught of cleaners, maintenance crews, heat and lighting, and constant vibration of heavy vehicles passing by at six feet.This string here is meant to be invisible, it is not a witting show prop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom