deleted

Willmark

GMR? Glad we rode it last time we were there.

EEA? Won’t be missed and I even thought it was ok. Technology just didn’t age well

geekza

GMR? Glad we rode it last time we were there.

EEA? Won’t be missed and I even thought it was ok. Technology just didn’t age well
The tech was just fine. It just didn't keep up with changes in culture and, to be honest, was always a bit of a letdown from its original incarnation. Neither version was perfect, but a combination of popular culture and the top-notch presentation of the original could have worked. Alas, Iger wants an IP Coaster, so here we are.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
They're not going to make rides like these anymore. I can see that. I may even be at peace with it. What I'm trying to decide is if I give a crap about WDW any more. I liked old WDW. New WDW is still grand and bigger than life. However, it is louder, less thoughtful, and more crass. Overall, thematic integrity is gone in both the philosophical and architectural sense. I suppose the company will make money hand over fist with this new direction. I just need to decide some personal basics. Do I want to keep my moldy, oldy, DVC points? Do I want to organize family reunions there? Time will tell I guess. I will say this though. Standing in a fantastically themed queue for half a day will never supplant 10-30 minutes on an old school Disney dark ride for me.

I was lucky enough to set foot in EPCOT Center countless times in the 80s. I have trouble watching @marni1971 's tributes to the original attractions...massive sense of loss. I also love the Guardians franchise. No idea how I'll react in the long term. The idea of entering Mann's to go on a Mickey Mouse ride, not sure about that either and I'm pretty sure the Mickey Mouse ride will be a really good ride.

The big question is this - how are we going to dispose of our old imagineering guides and such? They are pretty meaningless.

geekza

I first went to EPCOT the year it opened, when I was 5. Even at that young age Universe of Energy felt like a bait-and-switch--they get you in the door with the promise of those amazing dinosaur audio-animatronics, and then they make you sit through 40 minutes of science class. And it only got worse when I got older and realized how the films were basically just oil industry propaganda.

The building is gorgeous, the ride system is amazing, the mosaic screen was a true achievement, and the dinosaurs were as great as advertised. The length and pacing of it was just kind of ridiculous, though. Even at the height of the edutainment era (which was the height of EPCOT period, and an identity the park never should've ran from) UoE was asking way too much of the guests.
It definitely had pacing issues, especially for kids. They absolutely could have made an educational and entertaining attraction with a refurb, but those days are over. I miss them.

righttrack

GMR I love and will miss. I love the movies and frankly to me, it just was a signature attraction I looked forward to every year.

UoE was a time killer. A lets get out of the heat for a while and relax. Yes, to agree with the others above, it definitely had pacing issues. They could have fixed that with revamped film and visuals. It wasn't the content necessarily but the the waiting for the cars to line up and go that just took forever. The "reveal" was too slow unless you were in the first car.

nokahoma

It definitely had pacing issues, especially for kids. They absolutely could have made an educational and entertaining attraction with a refurb, but those days are over. I miss them.

Exactly. The rest of the original EPCOT showed how to balance entertainment and education within the magic and excitement of a theme park. UoE tilted too far towards the education, and didn't even pull that off so well, due to Exxon's oversight. It could've been fixed, but obviously they weren't interested in that.

The Empress Lilly

They're not going to make rides like these anymore. I can see that. I may even be at peace with it. What I'm trying to decide is if I give a crap about WDW any more. I liked old WDW. New WDW is still grand and bigger than life. However, it is louder, less thoughtful, and more crass. Overall, thematic integrity is gone in both the philosophical and architectural sense. I suppose the company will make money hand over fist with this new direction. I just need to decide some personal basics
Well that summarises everything I've said and thought in my ten years at this forum. :'(

A year, plus two trips, later my sense of loss has only in increased over both rides.

GMR - the central theme making ride of the park it anchored, which now feels incomplete and hollow.
Energy - they killed a classic EPCOT pavilion. Plans in hand for a magnificent revamp but chosing the superhero roller coaster instead - the kick in my teeth that taught me that any of my long hopes for a turnaround had been but silly daydreaming.

Last edited:

KimAnnFran

I might be the only one, but The Universe of Energy non-Ellen version is still a favorite of mine that I miss.
"Energy, these are a few of your faces," etc and the mosaic pre-show, and the more serious tone of the ride versus the Ellen one. I loved it. The music was a big part of this. Great songs.

the Movie Ride should not have closed, perhaps a redo, or upgrade? But why do that? Hollywood Studios, Chinese Theater, movies, etc. All works. Big mistake imho.

KimAnnFran

They're not going to make rides like these anymore. I can see that. I may even be at peace with it. What I'm trying to decide is if I give a crap about WDW any more. I liked old WDW. New WDW is still grand and bigger than life. However, it is louder, less thoughtful, and more crass. Overall, thematic integrity is gone in both the philosophical and architectural sense. I suppose the company will make money hand over fist with this new direction. I just need to decide some personal basics. Do I want to keep my moldy, oldy, DVC points? Do I want to organize family reunions there? Time will tell I guess. I will say this though. Standing in a fantastically themed queue for half a day will never supplant 10-30 minutes on an old school Disney dark ride for me.

I was lucky enough to set foot in EPCOT Center countless times in the 80s. I have trouble watching @marni1971 's tributes to the original attractions...massive sense of loss. I also love the Guardians franchise. No idea how I'll react in the long term. The idea of entering Mann's to go on a Mickey Mouse ride, not sure about that either and I'm pretty sure the Mickey Mouse ride will be a really good ride.

The big question is this - how are we going to dispose of our old imagineering guides and such? They are pretty meaningless.

I'm in total agreement with this post. The original concept of "the countries" with a history-book alive kind of feel, and the Futureworld with various aspects of modern living, that really worked for me as EPCOT. What happened to the theming? I am thinking, is "Mulan" next? Or "CoCo?" Either way you look at it, I am not thrilled in the LEAST that they are adding Disney story books to EPCOT. The countries worked well when seriously focused on teaching and entertaining (like the Maelstrom).....and the Kingdom is for the stories.

I love the old school Disney dark rides. UoE is AMAZING when you first see it, and then becomes a cool napping spot when you ride it the second time. All that said, there's no reason at all that they cannot expand and keep all the old stuff too. New visitors will have MORE TO CHOOSE FROM and we can always go back and ride the other stuff. It's not like they don't have the land, they do. They could expand and just add more and more, which helps lower the crowds as they spread out.

I, for one, loved EPCOT as a type of amusement park not seen in very many other places. I loved the feel of learning the countries and feeling almost like you are there and experiencing a little bit of that country. Adding Frozen, to me, just wrecks that whole feel at Norway, but I am positive that Disney will not be lacking in money.

Thank GOD the Land is still basically intact with that great garden. Once again, why not keep Food Rocks and add Soaring on the land surrounding? That's how I see it....but that's me!

Not sure when I will go back, but I would still like to, just not in the "See it all do it all" mode but more like a resort.

Figments Friend

I am going back to Florida after being away for five years in a couple of weeks, and will be visiting EPCOT and Studios during the visit.
It is to be a very strange feeling arriving at those Parks and NOT being able to experience these two now-closed cornerstone Attractions.

A LOT has changed on Property in the five years i have been away...but i have watched closely from a distance and still disagree heartily with the closure of both GMR and UoE.

GMR in particular was absolutely NOT necessary and a cost cutting cop out.
UoE needed a revamp badly...but the concept, ride system, prehistoric diorama, and general epic proportions of the presentation were timeless and could have been greatly built upon.
But that requires creative development and a will to want to do so....and today's Disney just has their focus elsewhere, unfortunately.

Having very mixed feelings on the upcoming visit....but i shall have to keep an open mind.

-

Nottamus

I first went on GMR on my first trip in '98 and I LIKED it. One of my top 10 rides. When the wife and I went back in 2014, I HAD to make sure to do it again. I still liked it. I know some rides have to go to make way for new...and that ok. At least I experienced it a few times.

Ellen's Energy was a great 'break' ride. We both liked it...and went on often. Great place to cool off.

Again, i know the Mickey ride will be awesome, and Guardians will be amazing, and I am looking forward to both. At least we got to ride GMR & EEE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom