Great Movie Ride AA's and Props

fantasmicsyd

Original Poster
Hey everybody! Over in the Stolen Buzzy thread, somebody mentioned AA's and/or props from GMR turning up at property control or elsewhere in a state of disrepair. Can anybody confirm or deny this? If not, does anybody know the whereabouts of the GMR AA's? Were they scrapped, archived, or sold to private collectors?

justintheharris

Hey everybody! Over in the Stolen Buzzy thread, somebody mentioned AA's and/or props from GMR turning up at property control or elsewhere in a state of disrepair. Can anybody confirm or deny this? If not, does anybody know the whereabouts of the GMR AA's? Were they scrapped, archived, or sold to private collectors?
I was literally just talking to my friend the other day who told me that some of the props are kept at some costuming place near the Orlando airport. Somebody probably knows more than me on this.

FettFan

I'm pretty sure the new addition "Redd" to PotC is actually the Wicked Witch.
4A69260600000578-5528815-New_scene_The_Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_ride_at_Magic_Kingdom_cha-m-26_1521753335925.jpg

17735212864_e861d217d9.jpg

Granted, I'm basing that totally off her nonfunctional clenched left hand. Witchy has a broom, "Redd" has a bottle.
So I might be wrong. Maybe.

EDIT - Plus, from this close-up, it's apparent that Witchy was already spongin' the rum.
gmr4.jpg

"And thens...I tells him... *hic* THIS is why the rum is gone! An' I whip out my fire an' he...he...*hic* he SCREAMS like a little girl an' yellin' somthin' abouts black *hic* spots an' call me squidface's harlot. T'hell's a squidface harlot?"

PS. Why the heck did they call her "Redd"? Was "Scarlett" off-limits thanks to a certain actress with a certain Marvel contract?

Last edited:

Disnerd2003

They must have a bunch of these. Can I have one?

No seriously, do they ever sell things from an attraction they have removed. TGMR was one of my favorite attractions and I wouldn't mind getting a piece of it. (like John Wayne on his horse, LOL)
Occassionally. Sometimes through disney, and sometimes through collectors online. John Wayne's head and clothes are in the archives. The rest was used for parts.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm pretty sure the new addition "Redd" to PotC is actually the Wicked Witch.

Granted, I'm basing that totally off her nonfunctional clenched left hand. Witchy has a broom, "Redd" has a bottle.
So I might be wrong. Maybe.

EDIT - Plus, from this close-up, it's apparent that Witchy was already spongin' the rum.
"And thens...I tells him... *hic* THIS is why the rum is gone! An' I whip out my fire an' he...he...*hic* he SCREAMS like a little girl an' yellin' somthin' abouts black *hic* spots an' call me squidface's harlot. T'hell's a squidface harlot?"

PS. Why the heck did they call her "Redd"? Was "Scarlett" off-limits thanks to a certain actress with a certain Marvel contract?

The Wicked Witch is one of the most significant achievements in the history of Audio Animatronics. As the first A100 Figure, I HAVE to believe she actually made it to the Archives. If anything from The Great Movie Ride was going to be preserved it would surely be her -- and the value in preserving her is surely much, much greater than the savings to be had in repurposing her for Redd. Especially since Redd was being duplicated for Anaheim, it's far easier to build 2 from scratch than to retrofit one and then copy that retrofit.

Buzzy seems to demonstrate that their regard for historic preservation isn't perfect, but they have SOME propriety. If ever there was a humainoid figure that was safe from reskinning, The Wicked Witch would perhaps stand behind only the original Mr. Lincoln.

Disnerd2003

The Wicked Witch is one of the most significant achievements in the history of Audio Animatronics. As the first A100 Figure, I HAVE to believe she actually made it to the Archives. If anything from The Great Movie Ride was going to be preserved it would surely be her -- and the value in preserving her is surely much, much greater than the savings to be had in repurposing her for Redd. Especially since Redd was being duplicated for Anaheim, it's far easier to build 2 from scratch than to retrofit one and then copy that retrofit.

Buzzy seems to demonstrate that their regard for historic preservation isn't perfect, but they have SOME propriety. If ever there was a humainoid figure that was safe from reskinning, The Wicked Witch would perhaps stand behind only the original Mr. Lincoln.
No. Redd is the Witch. They saved the Witch's clothes and broom, and her face. They re-clothed the animatronic and used Jane's face from the Tarzan Scene to transplant on Redd.

FettFan

To my mind, she looks more like the Sigourney Weaver...

The AA itself is not the same, as Ripley didn't actually move aside from her head turning and eyes looking from side to side.
ripley-de-alien.jpg

Everything below the shoulders is essentially a mannequin.

Redd's Apple Ale up there has a bending torso and moves both arms.

Besides. She looks more like Geena Davis than Sigourney Weaver.
03.jpg

Cutthroat Island - The pirate movie so insanely bad it makes DMTNT look like Shakespeare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom