Granddaughters first WDW trip

John park hopper

Original Poster
My son and daughter in law are looking to take the granddaughters to WDW ages 3 and 6 of course we grandparents will be going too. We have never stayed at the value resorts- what would you all suggests for that age. This trip will just be MK and time at the resort. Which have the better pools as the both love to swim? Looking at Jan 2019 long weekend but checking the crowd calendars doesn't look good. First week in Feb during the week looks good may suggest they take them out of school for 3 days; 3 year old won't miss anything and the 6 year old is way ahead of her class (may jump a grade). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Minnie Mum

Here's the thing with kids that age- they won't care. They'll have a ball no matter which resort they're at. Point them at any pool and they'll be happy. It's more important that Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa are happy with their resort choice.

That said, the ALL STARS and Pop each have 2 standard pools themed to their respective resorts. AoA has 3 that are (IMO) more heavily themed, with the Big Blue pool being HUGE, and having a decent sized splash pad.

The other thing to consider is the time of year. Weather can be iffy, and it's not that unusual for it to be too cold to be at the pools.

Smiley/OCD

3 words...Art of Animation!! Get a family suite (everyone can fit in comfortably, 2 bathroom/showers) and IMHO, it's the best themed resort on property. Bus service is good, food court is very good and Nemo's pool is huge. If the temps outside are a little chilly, just remember that the pools are heated. There are several sites (on here and YouTube) that have virtual tours of the resort and rooms. Enjoy!!

jaklgreen

3 words...Art of Animation!! Get a family suite (everyone can fit in comfortably, 2 bathroom/showers) and IMHO, it's the best themed resort on property. Bus service is good, food court is very good and Nemo's pool is huge. If the temps outside are a little chilly, just remember that the pools are heated. There are several sites (on here and YouTube) that have virtual tours of the resort and rooms. Enjoy!!

I disagree with the suites. Those are made more for people with several kids, not 4 adults and a couple of kids. There is only the 1 real bed and the rest are all fold downs and sleeper sofas/chairs. How are you going to decide who gets the bedroom? Some will say grandma and grandpa but there is no way that I would be able to sleep on one of those fold out beds(and as an adult paying for the trip, I do not feel like I should have to). It is much better to get 2 separate rooms. That way everyone can have their privacy.

Walt d

Here's the thing with kids that age- they won't care. They'll have a ball no matter which resort they're at. Point them at any pool and they'll be happy. It's more important that Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa are happy with their resort choice.

That said, the ALL STARS and Pop each have 2 standard pools themed to their respective resorts. AoA has 3 that are (IMO) more heavily themed, with the Big Blue pool being HUGE, and having a decent sized splash pad.

The other thing to consider is the time of year. Weather can be iffy, and it's not that unusual for it to be too cold to be at the pools.
The beach resort pool, you have a pool with a sand bottom, plenty of Sandcastle time going on there . Go to you tube and there are all the Hotels with video of them to see. Its the best.

J_Krafty24

Something I would consider is bed size and room layout. Currently Pop Century has queen size beds. The all Star resorts (I forget which one they are starting with) are in the process of being refurbed to the queen bed layout. The non-refurbed rooms have full sized beds. If you have a preference of the queen bed layout or the full bed layout that will affect your choice of resort. In the queen layouts the table is only available when the Murphy bed is folded up into the wall while in the full layout the table is a stand alone table.

correcaminos

While Stormalong Bay is a great water complex, the OP was asking about value resorts, not deluxes. Quite a difference in price for a pool.
Not to mention IMO not great for young swimmers.

I agree with the posters above who say they won't care at that age where they stay. I would get a preferred room for the proximity to bus stops and such.

slappy magoo

It's not a Value resort but since it's a party of 6, and you're planning on spending a lot of your time at the MK, maybe the "cabins" at Fort WIlderness?

The price for a cabin is often comparable to 2 Value rooms and often less than a Value Suite, certainly less than the suites at Art of Animation if not AS Music. You'll be a boat ride away from MK, and there are a lot of family friendly activities at the campground for the times you're not at MK, whereas at a Value, it'll pretty much be swimming and arcades. There are also more dining options than just food courts.

The downside, one set of adults will have to sleep on a pullout couch, and those that get the bed will be close to the kids as there are bunk beds in the bedroom. Also, only one bathroom though there are plenty of comfort stations throughout the resort that from what I understand are incredibly well maintained though of course YMMV.

DisneyGigi

I would like to note, that in regards to the pullouts at least at Old Key West- My son is a big guy, 6’5- and he and his wife took the pullout in a 1br villa at Old Key. He said that it was very comfortable. Not like a true bed, I am sure but more so than other pullouts he had slept on according to him. It did seem really thick.

Simba’s Mom

So true! We took our grandchildren for their first Disney trip at about that age, and we spent hours trying to decide where they'd like to stay the best. We finally chose OKW, and since it had a pool and they could swim with grandpa every day, and it had a porch where they could sit out and watch birds with grandma every morning they were ecstatic. One warning-our youngest DGD was petrified of Dumbo (go figure) Turns out she was afraid of heights, and chose WDW to let us know.

slappy magoo

Better be careful, around here some people around here seem to think if you dont cater every nanosecond of a Disney trip around your precious angels you're not fit to be around children and should be forced to register with the authorities.
I'm on your side. Just...be brave when they find you.

LSLS

If you are going value, I think I personally would take Pop over the others. I will say though, if you are going to spend a lot of time at the resort, it may be worth it to look at some of the offsite hotels. About the same price as the values (quite possibly less), but you can find ones with much better pools/splash pads/etc., and the rooms should be a good deal larger. I believe the pools at the values only have a couple of sprayers (no slides, though there are activities during the day). I know we really enjoyed the Hilton Buena Vista since it had a lazy river. Think there is a Holiday Inn around there with a great pool for kids as well. Just a few other ideas for you if you don't have to be on site (I know some people always have to be, just a personal preference).

MaryJaneP

Since you said trip is solely MK based, and you may already know the value resorts are not geographically adjacent to MK, please factor in travel times from your resort to MK in whatever schedule you decide upon. Have a great trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom