Grand Floridian Walkway Reopening Date?

WaitingforDisney

Original Poster
Have they announced when the GF walkway will be reopening?

We're headed to Disney in 2 weeks and I'm crossing my fingers that it will be open!

nickys

Premium Member
Has this reopened now or will it be open by June 2? Thanks
Bioreconstruct tweeted a photo of the construction site which the path goes through. Until that refurb is finished the path won’t be re-opening. I doubt June 2nd is likely, sorry.

Weather_Lady

Has this reopened now or will it be open by June 2? Thanks
According to what recent GF guests have been told by CMs, work is expected to begin at the Main Building/Lobby on June 1st. Specifically, Club Level GF staff have indicated that next week will be their last week of operations, before the project begins.

Whether that means that Sago Key is expected to be finished by then is anyone's guess, although it seems like it doesn't have too much further to go, as soft goods and balcony furniture have appeared in the building. Even if Sago does get finished in another week, however, they may need additional time to finish moving construction equipment and materials back across the walkway so that it can be reopened. There's also some extensive landscaping/sodding they'll need to do around it.

If I were you, I'd be hopeful, but not expectant, that the walkway might open sometime during your stay.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

UPDATE: Around 10am EST today(Wednesday, 5/24), a Grand Floridan-specific Facebook group member posted a video of the very last bit of scaffolding around Sago Key being dismantled. They've been taking it down over the last couple of days, which is an encouraging sign: the exterior work must be all but complete. Workers in the video can be seen finishing up shingles on a first-floor roof (covering a section of walkway/turret), but otherwise, the outside of the building appears to be finished. If Sago doesn't finish up this week, it will have taken longer to refurb (>14 weeks) than any of the other GF buildings did.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
UPDATE: Around 10am EST today(Wednesday, 5/24), a Grand Floridan-specific Facebook group member posted a video of the very last bit of scaffolding around Sago Key being dismantled. They've been taking it down over the last couple of days, which is an encouraging sign: the exterior work must be all but complete. Workers in the video can be seen finishing up shingles on a first-floor roof (covering a section of walkway/turret), but otherwise, the outside of the building appears to be finished. If Sago doesn't finish up this week, it will have taken longer to refurb (>14 weeks) than any of the other GF buildings did.
With the main building slated to go under refurbishment on June 1, the walkway may remain closed (since it begins between Sago and the main lodge) for ongoing construction.

Weather_Lady

With the main building slated to go under refurbishment on June 1, the walkway may remain closed (since it begins between Sago and the main lodge) for ongoing construction.
Certainly a possibility. I'm just hoping against hope that Disney can at least stick to its original announcement of a walkway reopening in "late spring" -- meaning anytime between now and June 21.

ToTBellHop

The Poly to Grand walkway remains, correct? I know it was re-routed at some point for the Miami Beach condo tower they’re building.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We are staying at the Grand but thinking of trying Kona this summer, so the option is nice.
I just returned from a Poly stay while a friend was at GF. We preferred the boat (boarding at GF goes directly to Poly) and monorail (board at Poly, next stop GF.) The rerouted path is nothing like the quaint path before construction. It is paved tar next to the main road.

DisneyFanatic12

It’s open, and in my opinion a quaint walk. It’s just your typical walking trail, but it now has a cement barrier wall to the left and the construction wall to the right. It is also well lit the the lights that line the construction wall. It’s not a bad walk at all.

Ayla

It’s open, and in my opinion a quaint walk. It’s just your typical walking trail, but it now has a cement barrier wall to the left and the construction wall to the right. It is also well lit the the lights that line the construction wall. It’s not a bad walk at all.
Walking between concrete barriers is not "quaint".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom