Grand Floridian vs Riviera

happycanadianguy

Original Poster
After seeing the concept art for the Riviera, I can say with FULL confidence that the Grand Floridian, is, and remains, Disney's TRUE flagship resort. It is clear after seeing these new DVCs coming on board over the past few years that Disney is never again going to put the money and effort they put into the Grand Floridian. Long live the Grand!

Club Cooloholic

After seeing the concept art for the Riviera, I can say with FULL confidence that the Grand Floridian, is, and remains, Disney's TRUE flagship resort. It is clear after seeing these new DVCs coming on board over the past few years that Disney is never again going to put the money and effort they put into the Grand Floridian. Long live the Grand!
In fairness I dont think the Riviera is billed as a flagship property. Its kind of a higher grade mod right?

happycanadianguy

Original Poster
In fairness I dont think the Riviera is billed as a flagship property. Its kind of a higher grade mod right?
In the beginning there were rumblings it would be bit it hasn't happened. The grand is still between 150 and 200 dollars a night higher than the Riviera.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Why bother? The tourists will fill a Motel 6 if you put big bowling pins and footballs on it.

CLEtoWDW

I’m not overly enthused about the Riviera. Ironic that it’s priced as a “Deluxe” DVC yet it sits right next to a Moderate resort. The location stinks IMO and being on the Skyliner isn’t a perk.

surfsupdon

I’m not overly enthused about the Riviera. Ironic that it’s priced as a “Deluxe” DVC yet it sits right next to a Moderate resort. The location stinks IMO and being on the Skyliner isn’t a perk.
I’d argue to say Riviera’s location is better than OKW, SS, AKL, and WL. And as far as convenience, being connected to the Skyliner will make it more convenient than a monorail Resort, in my opinion.

CLEtoWDW

P
I’d argue to say Riviera’s location is better than OKW, SS, AKL, and WL. And as far as convenience, being connected to the Skyliner will make it more convenient than a monorail Resort, in my opinion.

We shall see. I’m still not sold on the Skyliner actually being as functional as Disney is hoping it will be. Just like every Disney attraction there will be down time and complications and I’m not sure what their plans will be when that happens. Also, I can’t believe that they would still run the system during thunderstorms.

As far as the location... I would agree that the location is better than OKW and SS however if you ever try to book those resorts through Disney the price point on them are significantly lower.

nickys

Premium Member

It has been touted as a flagship DVC resort. And from the details released it certainly seems to be stacking up.

Rooftop signature restaurant.
Trattoria - QS, Open all day
Main pool looks as good as WL or AKL, although I’m not sold on the slide
Splash area is Fantasia themed (love this idea, Fantasia seems to get little love around the parks)
Gym plus a running trail around the resort plus CBR - is this an extension of an existing trail, or newly created
Lawn games area, outdoor chess, fountains
The indoors will have an exhibition of classic Disney characters
New type of studio villas

The DVC website has far more details than available elsewhere:

mlayton144

no, it will not stack up to the classic deluxe resorts such as GF, WL, AKL, etc. where the littlest details are thought out.

Ever notice how they seem to go cheap with the DVC add ons for the most part but try to make it fit , Kidani is the worst example , the building looks like industrial version of Jambo (exterior). Riviera looks just like the courtyard at Disneyland from the outside with some accents

correcaminos

It has been touted as a flagship DVC resort. And from the details released it certainly seems to be stacking up.

Rooftop signature restaurant.
Trattoria - QS, Open all day
Main pool looks as good as WL or AKL, although I’m not sold on the slide
Splash area is Fantasia themed (love this idea, Fantasia seems to get little love around the parks)
Gym plus a running trail around the resort plus CBR - is this an extension of an existing trail, or newly created
Lawn games area, outdoor chess, fountains
The indoors will have an exhibition of classic Disney characters
New type of studio villas

The DVC website has far more details than available elsewhere:

Some think you can have only one flagship location though. Kinda why I thought it was silly to do at Disney.

It will rank high up though. Like all resorts some will love it and others won't.
no, it will not stack up to the classic deluxe resorts such as GF, WL, AKL, etc. where the littlest details are thought out.

Ever notice how they seem to go cheap with the DVC add ons for the most part but try to make it fit , Kidani is the worst example , the building looks like industrial version of Jambo (exterior). Riviera looks just like the courtyard at Disneyland from the outside with some accents
I think it's a matter of personal opinion. Though you love WL, and yet the same person designed Kidani (and GCH)

I personally like all I've seen of RR. I also like Kidani more than Jambo

surfsupdon

I’m most excited and looking forward to the energy that Riviera will bring to the Barefoot Bay Area. Caribbean and Riviera are connected and it’ll be cool to bounce between the two.....and Crescent Lake...which is only a Skyline ride away.

TrojanUSC

That's a joke, right?

The resort, especially the rooms, are starting to show their age. They've lost a good deal of clientele to the Four Seasons. There was a plan to modernize the rooms to an extent, which isn't the worst idea - so long as you keep the theme somewhat consistent. They kind of just did it halfway.

I believe there are five-year plans for another flagship "five star" resort in the works to compete with FS.

Club Cooloholic

Not a popular opinion, but I so agree. I cannot stand the theme there really.
Me and fireman agree? I am not sure what modern means in context of a reno but I never was a fan of the style it has now. That said I doubt it would ever get a complete gutting. Too costly, and heck they keep featuring The GF in their ads, odd thing to do if you plan on doing a total overhaul of the theme.

correcaminos

Me and fireman agree? I am not sure what modern means in context of a reno but I never was a fan of the style it has now. That said I doubt it would ever get a complete gutting. Too costly, and heck they keep featuring The GF in their ads, odd thing to do if you plan on doing a total overhaul of the theme.

Yeah they do have a lot. I don't think the exterior would have to change. I kinda like it. They could try to emulate Hotel del Coronado again, but on the interior. Rooms look fabulous now.

Jambo Joe

GF is a nice hotel but it’s theme and design has never been particularly sharp or in any way evocative of Florida - it’s more like a callback to the Victorian era resorts in tbe northeast. And on top of that - it’s signature feature is a direct copy of the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego for some reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom