Grand Floridian VS Polynesian Village

admiral-ari-x

Original Poster
My family is currently plotting a Disney vacation for next year, which I am planning as usual :D and my dad wants to stay in one of the monorail loop resorts just to make transportation easier. No one but me likes the Contemporary (-_-) so we're down to GF vs Poly.
IMO, Polys better for our family of four- better theming, more to do, etc, but i honestly haven't heard much about the floridian, so I want to hear both sides of the story. Let the battle begin! ;)

DaisyDoesDisney

We're on a mission to try and do a week at each of the deluxe resorts because we love the immersive theming of each one. I've never stayed at the Polynesian but we always do at least one breakfast at Kona and then spend time walking around the grounds. I love the island vibe of the Polynesian. I almost booked it for our September trip but when I was comparing room diagrams between the deluxes I noticed that the bathrooms at Poly don't appear to have a door separating the sinks from the toilet. We prefer the divided bathrooms so much that this little thing is actually a bit of a deal breaker. I'd pick Grand Floridian over the Polynesian for that reason if I had to make a choice and all else was equal. The GF is so beautiful and elegant. I love to just sit in the lobby and relax especially on those super hot humid days when the parks feel uncivilized. Going over to GF for afternoon tea just makes everything feel sane and orderly again. Maybe you should choose between the two based on which theme suits your family's personality best

bethymouse

I've stayed at both, and I've loved both! The Polynesian theme just makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii. The longhouses are very nice to stay in. I enjoy eating at 'Ohana. The Kona Cafe is also a nice restaurant. I guess the GF rooms are a slight bit bigger, but not by much. Both feature pools are great now that they both have a "kiddie" area with a bucket that pours down water. But, the Polynesian has a very neat bar now called Trader Sams. The views at the GF ( if you get a lagoon view) are outstanding! We didn't get a view at the POLY, but we could see the monorail come by our room ( we didn't have a balcony, but you can get a longhouse with a balcony).
I don't know. I am torn between the two. The restaurants at the GF are fabulous as well, especially Narcoossees ( get a 9pm dinner, then you can watch Wishes from the deck and come back for dessert- the neatest thing we've ever done): it is a signature restaurant ( 75$ steak and lobster, but well worth it).
If I had the chance again, I'd stay at the POLY. It's the theme that it boils down to for me. But, you still can't beat the GF lobby and the orchestra playing, with sometimes a piano guy playing. Wow! No matter what, like @Andrew C said, you just can't go wrong with either!:D

harveyt0206

A vote for the Poly from me and hubby. We adore it. We unfortunately can't afford it right now, but if it is an option for your family, I whole heartedly recommend it. We had amazing service from all service areas. On our last day, while we were waiting for the Magical Express, the on duty Manager spent about 15 minutes chatting with me and my husband. She wanted to know all about our stay and any areas that weren't up to our expectations. I just love the warm, comfortable feeling of the resort.

HouCuseChickie

I've heard that transportation to the other three parks aren't the greatest. Anyone experience one way or another?

I've always found the bus service at the monorail resorts to be excellent. We've stayed at the Poly and Contemporary and have taken the bus from the GF on several occasions. The GF is my fave for the bus because they have that digital display showing the time the next bus for each destination will arrive.

RR 88

IMHO I love the poly theme and the fact it is a short walk to the TTC. When you throw in trader sam's, I find it very hard to beat! However, my wife would argue that with Basin, Narcoosse's, and V&A's, the GF would be the way to go... But what does she know?!? Go Poly!!!!

BrianV

IMHO I love the poly theme and the fact it is a short walk to the TTC. When you throw in trader sam's, I find it very hard to beat! However, my wife would argue that with Basin, Narcoosse's, and V&A's, the GF would be the way to go... But what does she know?!? Go Poly!!!!

I was about to add this. At the poly you essentially have a one monorail trip to MK or EPCOT.

Is love to know if people actually can get into Trader Sam's? Seem like the last I heard, it was impossible to get in. Hard to see it as much of a plus if this is the case.

BlindChow

Is love to know if people actually can get into Trader Sam's? Seem like the last I heard, it was impossible to get in. Hard to see it as much of a plus if this is the case.

Was there the last week of June. Just happened to be at the Poly right before 4pm, so we went to Trader Sam's and got right in when they opened.

We were there for about 45 minutes, and it never really got too crowded (there was no line or anything when we left). It was a weekday, so that might be a factor, but if you get there early enough you should have no problem.

BrianV

Was there the last week of June. Just happened to be at the Poly right before 4pm, so we went to Trader Sam's and got right in when they opened.

We were there for about 45 minutes, and it never really got too crowded (there was no line or anything when we left). It was a weekday, so that might be a factor, but if you get there early enough you should have no problem.

Great to hear. I'll have to check it out. The stories I head were of people waiting two hours to get in!!

bethymouse

When we were there June 16-22, the monorail was down at times. We were lucky. Our monorail was going "out of service" after it dropped us off at the GF. We actually had to wait from the MK though. There was no A/C. They were directing people to the boats, but my Mom had an ecv, so we couldn't take a boat to GF.:( We would've had to grab a bus back to GF.:(

HauntedMansionFLA

When we were there June 16-22, the monorail was down at times. We were lucky. Our monorail was going "out of service" after it dropped us off at the GF. We actually had to wait from the MK though. There was no A/C. They were directing people to the boats, but my Mom had an ecv, so we couldn't take a boat to GF.:( We would've had to grab a bus back to GF.:(
I never been to both. We are thinking after Labor Day or after Thanksgiving in 2016. Both resorts look good. It would be nice to jump on the monorail from TTC to EPCOT - monorail / boat to MK.

admiral-ari-x

Original Poster

Oh gee, aren't they planning on some monorail updates soon? I'd hate to have to deal with that kind of difficulty when the only reason we're staying in the monorail loop is for the monorail!

Toad Hall

I've had great experiences at both, but Poly is one of my two favorites on property. (along with AKL) ONly time I recommend GF over POly is during the Christmas holiday season...something about the GF, the way they do up the lobby, etc. is just awesome at that time of year.

Either way, find a way to go and eat at the "other" resort....so much to choose from!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom