Grand Floridian Villas

VGF has no dedicated studios and only 47 lock-offs. Booking a Studio for more than a day or two will be close to impossible unless you own there. Everyone else is going to be forced into a very pricey 1-bedroom villa, assuming they can get it.

With 47 dedicated 2-bedroom villas, those might be the easiest to book. But even a Standard View is 46 points/night for the slowest season (compared to, for example, 30 points for BWV).

VGF is going to eat through the points of anyone who tries to stay there.
Do you think Ill be able to get into the VGF for christmas week when it opens up to non-share holders? My family decided late that we are all going to WDW over that time and our home resort the BWV is all booked up and then our second choice the BCV is full as well. Do you think Ill have a better chance of going on a wait-list for the BWV or will I be able to grab a VGF room? Preferably a studio but would probably settle for a one bedroom if it came down to it, and the actually dates we will be staying is from the 22-29.

ParentsOf4

Do you think Ill be able to get into the VGF for christmas week when it opens up to non-share holders? My family decided late that we are all going to WDW over that time and our home resort the BWV is all booked up and then our second choice the BCV is full as well. Do you think Ill have a better chance of going on a wait-list for the BWV or will I be able to grab a VGF room? Preferably a studio but would probably settle for a one bedroom if it came down to it, and the actually dates we will be staying is from the 22-29.
It's impossible to say but VGF has fewer rooms than VWL, which used to be the smallest WDW DVC. Chances are the rooms will go quickly. Two points to consider:
  • The 22nd is a Sunday. There could be a good number of other DVC's booking at the 7-month window beginning on Friday or Saturday. They'll be booking ahead of you.
  • It's always possible one of these will cancel a reservation they have for December. Perhaps go on the waitlist for what you want but check online everyday.
mouseowners.com has an points exchange program for DVC members. Maybe post there and offer your BWV points? Maybe someone with a Christmas reservation would rather have a Standard View Studio (always popular) at BWV for some time in 2014 and will need your extra 4-month booking advantage to get it?

Good luck!

Disneykidder

After a few years and the hype dies down, we all will be able to book at 7 months. It's a novelty now and I admit I am one of them who hopes to be able to stay at VGF next summer. :)

AmongMadPeople

After a few years and the hype dies down, we all will be able to book at 7 months. It's a novelty now and I admit I am one of them who hopes to be able to stay at VGF next summer. :)

Eh, is BLT any easier to book now that it's been open almost 4 years? Not in my experiences. Only time will tell if the allure of VGF has the staying power that BLT does. I really like what I've seen of the rooms, and if they end of being nice in person, that could be enough to make up for what I think the GF lacks (good transportation)

TomHendricks

Eh, is BLT any easier to book now that it's been open almost 4 years? Not in my experiences. Only time will tell if the allure of VGF has the staying power that BLT does. I really like what I've seen of the rooms, and if they end of being nice in person, that could be enough to make up for what I think the GF lacks (good transportation)

No, BLT is just as bad as when it first opened. I imagine it will be very difficult, if not impossible to book GFV at the 7 month window. The wife and I have been discussing buying into GFV, we already own at Saratoga Springs and BLT, we love the Grand Floridian but we are on the fence about it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, BLT is just as bad as when it first opened. I imagine it will be very difficult, if not impossible to book GFV at the 7 month window. The wife and I have been discussing buying into GFV, we already own at Saratoga Springs and BLT, we love the Grand Floridian but we are on the fence about it.

I can see a lot of people booking a few nights at GFV as part of a split trip. The points are pretty high so it may be difficult for people to trade in for unless you cut days off your trip or go in value season.

DVC Mike

Anyone thinking of getting a 1 bedroom for 1 week during Christmas?

Christmas week is 1419 points. At $145 per point, the cost is $205,755. Add MF of $5, and you pay $7095 per year for the use. So it's $1,000 per day without even amortizing the purchase cost!

Either Disney, or the people buying into this, have lost their minds.

I can book a 1-BR standard view for a week in early December for 247 points. And yes, there are people who can afford staying in a huge 3-BR Grand Villa at peak season.

slappy magoo

A Standard View 1-bedroom is 463 points per week.

The 3-bedroom grand villa is 1419 points.
If you wanted to do that every year, and be able to book in the 11 month window, you're still talking over 67K for the initial buy in. Plus MFs.

You can put me in the "not for me" category."

As an aside, while I've only stayed in BLT once, I booked there twice (the first time we had to cancel because my wife got all preggers. Selfish). The first nixed trip was for a late August trip. The one we wound up taking was for a trip the following May. Both trips were booked at the 7 month window (we own in SSR). I saw other people complaining about not being able to book in BLT at the 7 month window and I just wanted to say it's really a YMMV kinda of thing, just like it will be at VGF, though with so fewer rooms compared to BLT, I'm sure it will be much harder.

slappy magoo

I agree but purchasing enough points for a 1-bedroom villa during Christmas week at any DVC resort is expensive. For example:
  • BLT Theme Park View: 465 points X $165/point = $76,725
  • BLT Lake View: 384 points X $165/point = $63,360
  • BLT Standard View: 347 points X $165/point = $57,255
  • BCV: 362 points X $130/point = $47,060
Please don't misunderstand me; VGF is still incredibly expensive. But so is any direct-purchase DVC.

Understood, but I think it important to also point out your "examples" are amongst the higher of the high ends.
BCV, OKW, SSR and VWL can all be purchased direct from DVC for $130pp. VAK is more, $145, with some discounts & incentives depending on how many points you buy (100 point minimum, you get $3 off, plus either "$1000 developer credit," or Five-Day Magic Your Way Park Hopper passes to Walt Disney World OR two Disneyland Premium Annual Passes.

OKW will cost you 300 points for that week this year. Which is "only" 39k. Only 39,780 for the same week in a Standard view at Boardwalk, 41,340 at Saratoga.

Still not chump change, but also not 67k either.

And of course there's the possibility of buying resale. If you really wanted BLT Theme Park Views every year in Christmas, there are three contracts available right now at dvc resales that'd cover that for 48k. Not an option for VGF currently, though I'm sure some new owners will need to sell soon enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom