Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There are walls up at Grand Floridian now apparently related to the walkway construction. The Disney World News Today site has some good pictures for those interested. A comment states that there won't be a second bridge, though that doesn't make sense to me. How much farther would it be to walk around on the service roads (or whatever is there) to avoid the other waterway?

The official RCID maps show the second bridge, and the location of the construction wall is consistent with the path going over the bridge.

1580344365038.png

rudyjr13

They wouldn't have built this without another reason.

What exactly that reason is? It could be a new resort, a new wing of a resort, extended beam maintenance, expansion of MK - even another small park over there. But they completed this because something is going to happen in this area that will impact GF guests getting to MK via the monorail.
I don't think they would do the path 3, 4, 5 years prior to adding a building. I agree that something will go there though I believe it will be another GF Villa building.

I think it's just part of the whole arrival/departure experience that they are updating at 3 out of 4 parks (DHS already happened). They aren't going to add capacity to boats and monorails so throw a couple bridges up and whoever wants to do the walk can do the walk.

Kamikaze

I don't think they would do the path 3, 4, 5 years prior to adding a building. I agree that something will go there though I believe it will be another GF Villa building.

I think it's just part of the whole arrival/departure experience that they are updating at 3 out of 4 parks (DHS already happened). They aren't going to add capacity to boats and monorails so throw a couple bridges up and whoever wants to do the walk can do the walk.

If putting up that building requires them to close the monorail through that area, they definitely would build it ahead of time. I think its more likely more involved than a single building, but thats only my guess.

rudyjr13

If putting up that building requires them to close the monorail through that area, they definitely would build it ahead of time. I think its more likely more involved than a single building, but thats only my guess.

The building fits nicely. Even with a new resort in that plot I'd be surprised if it would impact the monorail since the tracks are so tight to the shoreline.

1580500021622.png

Kamikaze

The building fits nicely. Even with a new resort in that plot I'd be surprised if it would impact the monorail since the tracks are so tight to the shoreline.

A new resort in the area would most definitely require a new station. Which would require closing the line - or more accurately, running it in shuttle mode. Meaning that GF would be the last stop both ways. And that means adding the walkway to alleviate some complaints.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A new resort in the area would most definitely require a new station. Which would require closing the line - or more accurately, running it in shuttle mode. Meaning that GF would be the last stop both ways. And that means adding the walkway to alleviate some complaints.

It would be foolhardy, IMO, to put in a new station. The local monorail is already overwhelmed at certain points of the day, and it would slow all the monorail resorts' travel time. After all, WL is a deluxe MK resort that isn't on the monorail.

A new resort between MK and GF could have it's own ferry (like WL, GF, and Poly). Even going up in to the canal. It could also have a covered conveyor-belt people-mover that drops them off much closer to the MK gate. Throw in a tram that gets used in peak times or when the conveyor belt is down.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It would be foolhardy, IMO, to put in a new station. The local monorail is already overwhelmed at certain points of the day, and it would slow all the monorail resorts' travel time. After all, WL is a deluxe MK resort that isn't on the monorail.

A new resort between MK and GF could have it's own ferry (like WL, GF, and Poly). Even going up in to the canal. It could also have a covered conveyor-belt people-mover that drops them off much closer to the MK gate. Throw in a tram that gets used in peak times or when the conveyor belt is down.

Ohh I like the conveyor idea... Then we could have it empty into a grinder so they can serve BBQ at the Magic Kingdom!

Kamikaze

Its foolhardy to operate the monorail at all.

But if this whole project is to prepare for a new resort, there is zero chance they don't put it on the monorail line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom