Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

Ray B

From the heart of Grand Floridian to the front gate of Magic Kingdom is essentially exactly 4000 ft long (give or take a few feet). "Stolling" (2 mph), that would be a 23 minute walk, "Moderate Walking" (3 mph) that would be a 15 minute walk, and "brisk walking" (4 mph) that would be a 12 minute walk.

Cutting a path through Grand Floridian and through Poly, I measure the path from the front gate of the Magic Kingdom to the exit ramp of the monorails at the TTC at 1.68 miles. "Stolling" (2 mph), that would be a 50 minute walk, "Moderate Walking" (3 mph) that would be a 34 minute walk, and "brisk walking" (4 mph) that would be a 25 minute walk.

Thanks. During the summer it might be tough but on a nice evening I would much rather walk the 1.68 miles than wait in the ridiculous lines for the ferry.

Last edited:

lawdogNOLA

Nice new pics. Kinda surprised to see the bridge there already at this stage of the project, as there's obviously a lot (all?) of the cement work yet to come.

Movielover

It amazes me how many people are against this. The walk from HS to the Epcot resort area is one of my favorites. No crowds, no rush, no crush.

You walk all day in the parks anyways...what's another 15/20 minutes?

What makes it even better is that half the people complaining will likely never even stay in the GF. so it doesn't even impact them at all. I know I will never stay there (way out of my price range) but I like this idea of the path and bridge.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
It is not a drawbridge. It is a swing bridge.
ok so that means the lightshow can still travel the canal right? Plus the Liberty Bell is towed back to dry dock via this channel so I would think they can't be permanently blocking it

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ok so that means the lightshow can still travel the canal right? Plus the Liberty Bell is towed back to dry dock via this channel so I would think they can't be permanently blocking it
Yes. A swing bridge is another type of draw bridge. Where a drawbridge raises vertically, a swing bridge pivots horizontally along a vertical axis.

(swing starts at 3:58)

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Yes. A swing bridge is another type of draw bridge. Where a drawbridge raises vertically, a swing bridge pivots horizontally along a vertical axis.

(swing starts at 3:58)

cool! That takes quite a bit of space though. Hopefully that doesn't cause issues, but I assume they did the math. I know when the ferries go under the monorail beam in the water bridge, it is literally inches on each side and the pilots manage :) I always personally needed a darn cigarette after making the trip though.

ABQ

cool! That takes quite a bit of space though. Hopefully that doesn't cause issues, but I assume they did the math. I know when the ferries go under the monorail beam in the water bridge, it is literally inches on each side and the pilots manage :) I always personally needed a darn cigarette after making the trip though.
the Liberty Belle is about 25 feet wide, looks like the canal is about 65 feet wide at the bridge construction area. Should be plenty of space for machinery and all.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The extra space is a trade off for a few other advantages. Swing bridges tend to weigh less, have fewer moving parts, cost less overall, etc.

It is sort of like the difference between a parking lot and a garage. If you have the room, a parking lot is easier all around. If you don't a parking garage will hold the same number of cars in a smaller space but at a much greater cost.

Since they have the room, a swing bridge is a good option.

NormC

It's called a swing bridge on the Reedy Creek map. A swing bridge doesn't need to rotate in the middle, here is an example that rotates from one end.

View attachment 398047
It will be very similar to what Dan posted above. It will swing completely out of the way of the canal so that the Water Pageant and Liberty can pass. If you look at the one sitting on the grass at WDW you can see one end is rounded just like the one Dan shared.

jrogue

I will help contribute to that energy so I can enjoy it in November
tumblr_n1fytnTKJy1s81ftuo5_250.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom