Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

s8film40

Random thought, is there enough room between GF and MK to put in a new resort or and expansion to the GF? New walking path and new road might be the beginning of a bigger plan.
The future land use plans have in the past shown an extension of the lagoon in that area to another smaller lagoon with space for several more hotels.
E61611AC-31FC-4A33-AE4F-00DE9A99F7BD.jpeg

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Random thought, is there enough room between GF and MK to put in a new resort or and expansion to the GF? New walking path and new road might be the beginning of a bigger plan.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: On the map below, the red sections indicate where the land is suitable for development. So, if you look at the blotch where the number 10 is, it's North of the GF and can be resorts or even a fifth gate (also, where the 13 is, is also suitable for a fifth gate and has often been cited as the most likely place for a fifth gate). The red blotch between TTC and The Contemporary is where the Venetian Resort was supposed to go at one time (now, one of our Insiders keeps winking at it like a barfly at last call... so... something, maybe?).

The light green is land designated as marginally suitable and to be used mostly as resource (i.e., natural swamp land) or 'recreational' (IOW, a golf course). However, that wouldn't stop Disney if they wanted to build a fifth gate or a resort on that land. If they did so, they may have to do land preservation offsets and a lot of dirt-piling to make the land suitable.

So, yes, between MK and GF along the walkway in question, it is possible to plop a resort there.

Also note the blue shaded area SW of PotC... that's a possible MK expansion pad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Long answer: On the map below, the red sections indicate where the land is suitable for development. So, if you look at the blotch where the number 10 is, it's North of the GF and can be resorts or even a fifth gate (also, where the 13 is, is also suitable for a fifth gate and has often been cited as the most likely place for a fifth gate). The red blotch between TTC and The Contemporary is where the Venetian Resort was supposed to go at one time (now, one of our Insiders keeps winking at it like a barfly at last call... so... something, maybe?).

The light green is land designated as marginally suitable and to be used mostly as resource (i.e., natural swamp land) or 'recreational' (IOW, a golf course). However, that wouldn't stop Disney if they wanted to build a fifth gate or a resort on that land. If they did so, they may have to do land preservation offsets and a lot of dirt-piling to make the land suitable.

So, yes, between MK and GF along the walkway in question, it is possible to plop a resort there.

Also note the blue shaded area SW of PotC... that's a possible MK expansion pad.

View attachment 389310

Possibly...but highly unlikely

What is as sure a bet as you can make is more dvc at GF...my guess is retrofit of two buildings...the preferred way.

And the inevitable poly tower/suites

Missing20K

You mean you all don't take the GF ferry at the close of MK to hobnob with the 1% and then walk from the GF to the TTC like I do? I make it look like I fit in by keeping my pinky extended at all times.
I don’t need to. I am a 1%-er. 😉
I take it a step further with by wearing a tux and holding a martini glass, with the pinky extended of course
As do I, but only after 5pm
I've settled on having Alfred venture to the swamp and send missives back about the grand time he's having. This way I don't have to sully my wardrobe mingling with the uncouth masses.

MaryJaneP

If these thoughts have already been covered, our apologies, but
1. Does WDW need to keep the canal for access to ROA steamships when they need to come out to drydock?
2. Could permit predicate a new wedding chapel/bridal pavilion that, while not as primo as the existing one, still could be used for Disney-themed weddings? More $ for the suits.

nickys

Premium Member

View attachment 389310

So yes, room enough for a new batch of DVC (or both DVC and non-DVC rooms) as an extension of GFV. Kind of like at WL, two DVC resorts at the same location.

And the walking path is another selling point to help boost the price of the new and existing GFV.

WDW Pro

Old plans that I cannot confirm are being used, if the walkway is connected currently, connected the walkways over the canal via a pedestrian drawbridge. I would assume that's still the plan given that EWP has to exit and enter the canal daily. The SW side of the canal would be the location for the Resort-to-MK Security checkpoint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom