Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

halltd

Wh
@SomeInternetGuy posted this in the permits thread, thought it deserved it's own thread.

xgU86tw.png
where was this found?

JohnD

That canal this walkway will potentially cross is in no danger of being filled in. This canal is used for water management across property as well as the Electrical Pageant barge storage and the only way to move the steamship from Rivers of America to the Dry Docks on the north shores of Bay Lake. This is also used to fill the most around the castle along with Jungle Cruise rivers and Rivers of America. I don’t know how they will cross this canal. I can’t see them making this elevated since it would have to be as high as the Monorail beams in this area, which is one of the tallest points of the system. They could use a draw bridge like at Epcot where they store and maintain the Friendship boats, etc. My thoughts is more of a near grade level draw bridge like at Epcot, less of a fall hazard.’plus would only need to be manned during certain times of the day.

Makes the most sense to me.

KeithVH

Based on the title. this permit most likely says NOTHING about building a walkway on the GF side. And don't forget there's a second canal behind the business center they'd also have to cross. Let alone somehow get around the parking lot in the back.

And the area noted on the west side of the canal where they store the parade is the dock where they always store equipment when working on/around Bay Lake. Including the dirt access road to that area. Are we saying the dusty, nasty access road will be removed in favor of a walkway? I seriously doubt that. And there ain't enough room for both.

flempoby

Me, for sure. I'll nearly always choose walking over waiting for Disney transportation. The walkway from BW to DHS is one of my favorite quiet spots in WDW. I'm hoping for the same here!
We always walk from BW to DHS instead of taking boats. It is a nice walk, especially in the morning. On the way back after a long day in the park and a large meal at brown derby it's a bit tougher, but we are too impatient to wait for boats. Does anybody know how long that walk is off the top of their head?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There were more than a few people earlier in thread that kept saying they didn’t want to lose the water pagent or asking if they were gonna fill in the canal.
No way the canal goes...the water pageant is a completely different decision. I don’t see the work on a bridge to be a determining factor either way.

The reality is the water pageant is a loss. They really have no reasons to keep doing it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We always walk from BW to DHS instead of taking boats. It is a nice walk, especially in the morning. On the way back after a long day in the park and a large meal at brown derby it's a bit tougher, but we are too impatient to wait for boats. Does anybody know how long that walk is off the top of their head?

The loop around the lake by the hotels is about 0.92 miles...the boardwalk path to studios is around 1.10 I think??

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
What’s curious is the term dewatering. All the other permits that have used this involve filling in canals or wetlands. There is only one place along the route that this will be done. Couple that with the up coming widening of Floridian way in phase 2 or 3 of the world drive project.
1C9523C5-315C-4E68-8A62-14B674A60584.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
cGreenwich1jul15.jpg

Simple and quick solution would be a prefab pedestrian swing bridge. It requires only a single foundation on a single bank and can be easily and quickly installed.

Since a permit was filed, it's safe to say that the engineering and design has already been done. It is also possible that if the bridge is prefab, it could be backstage on property already. Since I don't have any access to aerial photography, any aerial recon of large back stage storage in the area may be warranted.

This permit would be pretty early in the process. This is a Florida DEP permit, we would then need a South Florida Water Management permit which generally proceeds work by at least a few months, and then a notice commencement before work actually starts.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The reality is the water pageant is a loss. They really have no reasons to keep doing it

Sure they do. It'll be listed as a perk on the soon to be Resort Fee for justification: Free WiFi, Disney Transportation, 2 Bottles of Water, Water Parade, Extra Magic Hours, Free Local Calling, Access to all Resort Amenities (some at a minimal cost)

Animaniac93-98

The permit says "Grand Floridian to MK Walkway", such a thing does not currently exist.

What does exist is a walkway that leads from MK to the Grand Floridian, but stops short.

Even if that's just the internal name for the existing path, it's an odd way of phrasing it. Unless the name dates back to the 90s when they did plan on completing the walkway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What’s curious is the term dewatering. All the other permits that have used this involve filling in canals or wetlands. There is only one place along the route that this will be done. Couple that with the up coming widening of Floridian way in phase 2 or 3 of the world drive project.View attachment 388995

But Again...”dewatering” doesn’t necessarily mean a Canal is being filled in/eliminated.
They consider the water management system to be one entity...so it could be an interpretation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom